Revell Dambuster

Harry_the_Spider

Dearly Beloved, let us spray.

P1040095.jpg

P1040096.jpg

Looks reasonably close to how it should.

P1040097.jpg

Holding off the fuselage until I hear from Revell about the missing window. I'll give it a week or so then press on with the flat window on the port side if I have to. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Merde. One of the props wasn't spinning so I've had to crack open the starboard outer nacelle and try and bodge a fix.

Edit : And it seems to have worked! Now to tidy up the mess I've made around the joint with the wing 😕

So good to see how others go about their modelling builds. I must admit, assembling and painting an aircraft in this fashion is not something I’d contemplate, however its what you end up in the end that always counts. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The wing fit is very good, so by painting them separately I'll get a sharp transition between wing and fuselage without needing to mask it.

Also, Revell are sending me a replacement window FOC,

DWv2PwlX0AAC2nK.jpg

which is nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

The wing fit is very good, so by painting them separately I'll get a sharp transition between wing and fuselage without needing to mask it.

Also, Revell are sending me a replacement window FOC,

DWv2PwlX0AAC2nK.jpg

which is nice.

Suits you sir!

Now I really need to watch the Fast Show again.

• Haha 1

Like a complete idiot I've managed to lose half of my upkeep, so I've had to employ my very basic scratch building skills.

P1040115.jpg

P1040114.jpg

I'll put the "home made" end on the drive side so that the belt and pulley can hide it. It looks suitably rough like I suspect the real thing did.

P1040127.jpg

P1040128.jpg

Under the circumstances I'll take that as a win.

Swearing was up to Level 6. Suspect it will peak at Level 7 when I find the missing parts.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

That’s some recovery! When you do find the missing parts you can scratch yourself another half, that way you’ll have another complete spare upkeep should the first one go bouncing off somewhere! 

Cheers.. Dave (where swearing is part of our national vernacular). 

• Haha 1

Thanks, for the offer, but I think that I've got away with.

Carrying on with my modular approach to construction I'm going to decal and weather it in sections. But first a double gloss coating as silvered decals would really mess it up, especially around the squadron codes.

P1040173.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/14/2020 at 4:43 PM, Harry_the_Spider said:

I wanted to go for "a bit grubby" rather than "knackered" as the real aircraft wasn't that old.

IIRC Joe McCarthy’s ED825/G, AJ-T was the oldest of the Type 464 provisioning Lancasters: in contrast Henry Maudslay’s ED937, AJ-Z was delivered from Avro’s on the morning of the raid and had seven hours “on the clock” when she and her crew went down on the way home.  Paintwork deterioration would mostly be exhaust staining and the odd grubby boot print and, maybe, some discolouration of the upper fuselage paintwork around the forward escape hatch where ground crew slid across to get from one wing to t’other.  The aeroplanes certainly wouldn’t have looked like escapees from the station fire dump with chipped paint and heavy staining all over the place.

• Like 4

It needs a bit of a once over with a cocktail stick, but other than that I'll take it.

P1040181.jpg

Glad that I spent so long on the interior.

Got a Shackleton in the stash. Think I'll spray everything behind the pilots green and leave it there.*

*Obviously I won't. 

• Like 5

Rather irritatingly the after market wheels are several millimetres too narrow for the undercarriage legs, so I'll have to go with the kit ones.

Expensive (ish) mistake 😕

You’ve been busy Harry and that looks just fantastic. Well done all round and a great WIP thread to g with the great build. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks.

Not finished yet as I'm building up a couple of refueling trucks to go with it. However, lockdown means that I'm running out of paint so I may go off-piste on the colours.

EDIT- I've just noticed that I haven't done the lights on the wing tips or the landing lights and that I've knocked the actuator off the port wing. 

• Like 1