Revell Dambuster

Harry_the_Spider

I've got some better pictures now that the wind has dropped and I've attached all of the bits that I forgot to attach.

P1040201.jpg

P1040202.jpg

P1040203.jpg

P1040204.jpg

P1040205.jpg

P1040206.jpg

P1040207.jpg

And one to destroy the illusion 😉 If I had tried this the other day there would have been three airworthy Lancasters in existence.

P1040208.jpg

Going to build up some vehicles and set a small ground crew diorama for Gallery.. 

• Like 10

Harry

Just to recap . . . Did you only cut the bottom wing to re-set the dihedral on the wing(s) ?

I have a couple to build and I have been looking at other builds but there is more than one way to cure the issue . .. 

Posted 1 hour ago

Harry

Just to recap . . . Did you only cut the bottom wing to re-set the dihedral on the wing(s) ?

I have a couple to build and I have been looking at other builds but there is more than one way to cure the issue . .. 

Sliced all of the bottom and shimmed it. Cut the first 1cm on the upper leading edge to allow it to bend and filled it.

I made a cardboard former with a 5° angle to check that both wings were set the same. I also filed down the inner edge of the outboard engines to bring them back to vertical.

P1040030.jpg

Thought that it would be a nightmare but it was easy.

By the way, you are the first person on here to ever ask me how I did something! I normally feel like the kid in armbands sharing a swimming pool with Adam Peaty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Indeed we do. 

There have been several tales of woe in this group about the Airfix one not going together, The Revell fit was perfect. Not a problem anywhere apart from the ones that I caused myself. And it is a fraction of the price!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No update on the vehicles as I've had a couple of weeks off after completing G for George and me and the kids have discovered this, which has taken up every living moment in the woods behind my house.

P1040234.jpg

However, I digress...

Can I recommend the 2019 edition of Enemy Coast Ahead by Guy Gibson as it was absolutely fascinating if ultimately tragic. My opinions of the man have changed after reading it. 

• Like 2

R/C models will take you (and the kids) to the dark side.... It's fun, however does nothing to reduce one's plastic kit stash. Thanks for the book tip as well. I could do with a good read. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 3/3/2020 at 1:12 PM, Harry_the_Spider said:

The Revell one has another doughnut for the rear wheel, but there is a grooved one in the resin set.

Gibson comes across as a bit of an a**e to me, especially the way he describes his fellow officers as "Good Chaps" and the NCOs as "Dummies". Different times and different circumstances I suppose. I've ordered James Holland's book on the Dams Raid too ( £3.08 delivered from ABEBooks if you are so inclined ) to get a different perspective on the man.

When I lived with my parents back in the 80's our next door neighbour was ground crew with 617sqd. His name was Charlie Godby. He told me that Gibson was extremely arrogant and not a popular person on the squadron treated the erks like poo-poo and his dog was a complete meanace. Charlie told of a run in he had with Gibson, while one day he was checking the the main brake unit on a Lancaster Gibson dog cocked it's leg up Charlie's back so he got up and gave it a kick Gibson saw this and put Charlie on a charge and was sent to the guard room for punishment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a bit of work done on the refueling vehicles, so hopefully it'll be a sprint for the line and I'll get them done.

There's the small issue of watching 8 episodes of The Mandalorian with my lad though before Sunday.

• Like 1

Progress!

P1040422.jpg

For such old moldings they are lovely little kits.

I may have accidentally built another RC car too. Oops.

This one I decided to paint with the airbrush. Talk about cross-over skills!

P1040360.jpg

• Like 1