Revell Dambuster

Harry_the_Spider

Go on then... I'm in!

Revell Dambusters B.III that cost me £10.

P1040012.jpg

Going to build it OOB, but I'll change the wheels, add some cockpit "greeblies" and fix the wing dehidral.

Phase 1: Cockpit Greeblies.

I've moved the seat and control column so that they are in the same post code as the instrument panel and added a trim wheel and document holders to the side of the pilot's plinth.

P1040015.jpg

• Like 9

And we're off!

P1040030.jpg

The "Cut & Shut" Dihedral fix on the wings was very straight forwards. I'll leave it to dry for 24 hours before cleaning it up. Meanwhile, me and going to watch The Dambusters.

[EDIT]

Sanded and primed. If it look rough with the inner nacelle in place I'll hide my crimes with a "strengthener".

P1040032.jpg

P1040035.jpg

• Like 7

Dry fit of cockpit in to fuselage.

P1040038.jpg

P1040039.jpg

Waiting for the Haynes manual to turn up before detailing the wall mounted panels. I'll probably thin out the tape seat belts too after seeing these pictures. However, mating the two halves together confirms that 98.4% of the interior behind the pilot's seat will be invisible.

P1040040.jpg

Wing surgery doesn't look to bad. Will see how it is once the nacelles are on.

P1040041.jpg

The map is from Operation Chastise. Please feel free to steal it.

P1040017.jpg

There's a "whitened" version of it in this thread.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235068424-white-tailed-warbird/&tab=comments#comment-3596628

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Thanks. Was going to ask that very question as it wasn't visible in the film.

The aircraft used for the film were from a far later production batch (RTxxx serials, as opposed to ED937 for example) than those used on the raid itself.  The film aircraft had all been withdrawn from storage so the H2S instruments and controls would not have been installed to prevent theft or damage whilst the aeroplanes were inactive.  Once filming was complete the Lancaster’s were sent back to an MU, there to be scrapped shortly thereafter.

• Like 1

Many years ago I looked up the film aircraft histories as background gen for a FlyPast article and found that one of the Lancasters in the film had actually been on the books of 617 Squadron (albeit after the event) and that another had been with 9 Squadron. IIRC the others were just MU queens.

Give me some time and I can dig out the histories if anyone’s interested.

Trevor

• Like 2

On 3/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, Harry_the_Spider said:

However, mating the two halves together confirms that 98.4% of the interior behind the pilot's seat will be invisible.

The 98.4% comment made me laugh 😂 

The bulgy resin wheels look great, maybe just sand off the tread if the dambusters didnt have it? 

I’m not a rivet counter and I’m a bit colour blind, so accuracy isn’t a big thing for me.

I do it because :

a) I like the subject.

b) I like the satisfaction of the final result (if it is a bit better than my last effort).

c) I like the peace of getting lost mentally in the build process.

d) It reminds me of my childhood.

e) People buy me model kits for Christmas instead of socks.

However, as this is my first GB I want to do my absolute best. Therefore, the Revell kit probably wasn’t the best choice accuracy-wise but it had one outstanding attribute that drew me towards it above all others... £10 with free postage.

From what I have learned recently the kit has some short comings that I’ll try to either address or ignore. Either way I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Outer wing dihedral – Fixed surprisingly easily.
  • Pilot’s seat too far back – Fixed. Chopped it off and moved it forwards about 6mm. The pilot still can’t reach the throttles, but that is because there aren’t any*. However, he can now press some buttons without having to prod from a distance with a broom handle. He can also rest his elbow on the open cockpit window. If you move the seat you have to move the wall mounted panel to his left. *I will try and make some throttle levers.
  • Wheels look like the rubber ring – Replaced, but maybe with the wrong ones. However, after minutes of extensive online research I couldn’t find an image of a Chastise Lanc wheel and the Tamiya 1/48 scale one has a treaded tyre too.
  • Radiator “chins” too square – I’ll think about sanding back the profile, but I’m not going to do any surgery. Waiting for my Haynes Manual to show up before I make a decision.
  • H2S Radar shouldn’t be there – Stuck it in. Removed it. It is now in the spares box and will probably appear in my Airfix Mosquito as a general cockpit greeblie. The Wikipedia entry on H2S sets is worth a read. Very informative.
  • No Flight Engineer’s seat – I’ve made one from plasticard.
  • No Bomb Aimer’s padding – See above.
  • Upper escape hatches in the wrong place – Ignore
  • Guns are “a bit wrong” – Ignore
  • Wings are too short or too long (to be confirmed) – Ignore

Please feel free to add to the list.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

a) I like the subject.

b) I lik the satisfaction of the final result (if it is a bit better than my last effort).

c) I like the peace of getting lost mentally in the build process.

d) It reminds me of my childhood.

e) People buy me model kits for Christmas instead of socks.

Agree 100%!.

Looking good so far. 👍

Roger. 

...but mostly it is about avoiding the novelty socks.

The look on my Brother in Law’s face on Christmas Day when he got more socks and pants and I got a Phantom FGR2. Priceless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This may not be correct but I read somewhere that the "Specials" used on the dams raid had a single 0.303 mg fitted in the belly behind the bomb bay - any sign of it in the kit?

Pete

That thought had crossed my mind too but I have just looked at the instructions for the Airfix Dam Buster Lanc (3rd moulding) and they seem to include one as an option - how many if any planes actually carried one I don't know. I know they went in at low level but not sure about going home - must dig out my copy of Paul Brickhill's book.

Pete

Low level all the way in and out IIRC. But I'm often wrong.

Reading Enemy Coast Ahead at the moment. Gibson nearly ended up in the North Sea whilst trying to light a cigarette. Another one did bounce off the water and lost his Upkeep as a result.

• Like 1

Hi,

Quite a good book though Gibson is a bit over the top - perhaps that is what made him a good leader according to most (but not all) of his crews/ground staff. As to the wheels, I know that late model Lancs had the "Lincoln Style" wheels and treaded tyres, so the preserved ones will presumably do so as well - causing the usual confusion for both kit manufacturers and the after-market people as with Spitfire wheels, wing bulges etc. Pavla do a plain set of Lanc wheels which look quite good. Some if not all Lancs also seem to have had the grooved anti-shimmy type tail wheel as well which Airfix seem to have got right - don't know about Revell.

Cheers

Pete