De Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth Mk. II, Royal Navy...

John Masters

31 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Easy-peasy.  Holes are drilled, .004 monofilament.

I kinda wish I'd done that on mine instead of trying out blind elastic. Still, one has to try new things I guess.

Happy Rigging!

Adrian

On the rigging jig.  It acts as a separate set of hands.  Very important.

49676361288_b92d7962d3_c_d.jpg

The rigging on this aircraft is quite simple.  No double flying wires...two 'V' sections on each side.  The tail rigging is stretched sprue.  I almost always use sprue for this.  I can use small pieces and control it easily.

I glue in the two ends to the fuselage with CA, feed the two pieces through the 2 holes in the top wing next to the struts and then suspend the hemos as weight to stretch the line.  Then I add CA glue in the single hole.  Wait 5 minutes just to make sure, and snip and trim what remains.  Use a new hobby blade to trim the excess line.

49676361213_83228130ee_c_d.jpg

You see?  This is very easy.  I find that monofilament works better than EZ Line in many circumstances.  EZ Line reacts very quickly with CA glue and can curl up on the end.  You don't have that with monofilament.

49676361353_a6753767bd_c_d.jpg

As stated...the rear of the aircraft gets sprue.  Sometimes I might use EZ Line here.  Sometimes.  

49676361123_857ab1081f_c_d.jpg

I will let all of this set for a bit, apply the final decals, touch up where I might need it.  If the decals don't cover the rigging holes, I will use tiny amounts of putty to seal them, then overpaint.  Then the wheels, prop, stabilizer struts.  Finished.  Tomorrow I will start the day of social distancing with a clean bench!

--John

• Like 5