RAF Allison Mustangs - any with Malcolm hood?

Tony Whittingham

I do know there were some USAAF F6A's that had Malcolm hoods fitted, but don't recall seeing any RAF Mustang IA's that had them. While on the subject of Mustang Mk IA's, check out this photo that I think was taken at the California plant of a Mk IA with a wooden wheel. I'm guessing it was used to move the aircraft down the assembly line and to outdoor storage, as the photo caption stated this was a temporary situation due to a spot rubber shortage. I love the "Do not inflate" stencil on the wheel! (If I find a Mk 1A with a Malcolm hood, I will post it here.) Betting one of our resident Mustang aficionados will be able to help you more than I.

Mike

Photo via reddit.

https://i.redd.it/tx3ua4x475a31.jpg

F6A Mustang of the 67th TRS- not RAF but a good detail photo of the Malcolm hood

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/p-51-mustang/f-6a-ltcol-george-peck-commander-of-the-67th-tactical-reconnaissance-group/

Edited by 72modeler
added link

There is a photo of Mustang II FR908/S from 268 Squadron with Malcolm hood in 2nd Tactical Air Force, volume III book by Christopher Shores and Chris Thomas, which I highly recommend. In the photo caption it is said that by that time (late winter/early spring 1945) many of the surviving Allison Mustangs had been equipped with this type of hood. This is probably correct as I am almost certain that I saw another photo(s) Malcolm hooded early RAF Mustang somewhere, although I cannot recall where. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: In the volume II of the same series there is a photo and a colour profile of another Mustang II (FR515/L) with Malcolm hood, belonging to the same squadron.

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P.S. added
  • Like 1

Ah, been there, done that before.

With benefit of a further three and a bit years of research and digging, basic reply is, Mustang Mk.I - NO; Mustang Mk.IA - limited, trials aircraft and possibly a couple still in service that had been through major overhauls late 1944 to early 1945; Mk.II - varies depending on aircraft and when.  Initial Mk.IIs issued to No.II(AC) Sqdn in May-June 1944 still had original canopy, those issued later July 1944 onwards would likely have Malcolm Hood, those with original canopy going back in for major servicing or repairs would likely get Malcolm Hood added at that time.  By early 1945, the Mustang Mk.IAs serving with No.268 Sqdn - sole remaining user, more likely to have original style canopy, except for a couple of possibles that had been back for major overhaul/repairs, the Mustang Mk.IIs; greatest majority would have Malcolm Hoods, odd one or two still had original canopy.

Photos in 2TAF came from me and were used by authors with my permission.  There are other photos and profiles of Mustang Mk.IIs with Malcolm Hoods in vols 3 & 4 of 2TAF series.

• Like 2

And as I have pointed out multiple times both here and other modelling websites, FD465 / N is spurious, a number of researchers have looked into history of this particular airframe and it never saw RAF Squadron service and certainly never got a Malcolm Hood.  We don't know where AM came up with this one.  Back when it first came out, it was queried with AM and they never gave an answer.

Tony,

If you want to do a Mustang Mk.IA, WW2, RCAF pilot, standard canopy, then there are a few aircraft/pilot combinations that are open covering from mid-1943 until November 1944 when RCAF pilots were with No.268 Squadron RAF flying Mustang Mk.IA aircraft.  Last of the RCAF pilots attached to the Squadron was 'tour expired' mid November 1944, and like most of the others before him then did a short stint as an instructor at an OTU before being repatriated home.  The basic c&m scheme remained the same over that period, with the main variation being the application of the 'distinctive markings' for D-Day and the period afterwards as they were eventually reduced up to the end of 1944 and some of the detail items on the aircraft eg external rear vision mirror, antenna fit, and for specific aircraft if they had just the single oblique, dual oblique or oblique and vertical camera installations.

If you look at the Mustang Mk.I thread referenced in my earlier reply you will find some information there, as well, have a look at the Mustang Group build running currently, both in the chat and references, plus the build threads for some of the RAF Allison Mustangs in the GB for some of the finer detail stuff.  That will also point to references in terms of IWM photos that can be viewed online  for camera installations and other detail stuff.  There is also a few other threads on RAF Allison Mustangs I have responded to here at various times covering sub-type specifics.

HTH.

• Like 2

The Euromillions-win P-51 I commission for personal use and air displays will be an Allison type, 1325hp engine from Vintage V12s, lightened by removal of all surplus military equipment, Malcolm hood, late-war RAF colours. I don't think I've ever seen a photograph of an RAF II with a Malcolm hood so I am very glad of this thread as justification.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

The Euromillions-win P-51 I commission for personal use and air displays

Oy get in line 

I believe the line starts at Hendon and currently stretches as far as Glasgow🤣

There is a photo on p402 vol.III of the 2nd TAF showing a Mustang 1A FD535 'X' which looks nice and clean after probably having just been through some serious maintenance. No Malcolm hood but does carry C1 roundels in all six places to add a bit of colour.

TRF

A short history of FD535 'X' (extracted from No.268 Squadron History)

FD535 41-37437 was delivered at North American Aviation, California on September 9, 1942. It departed the USA on September 29, 1942 and arrived in the UK on November 26, 1942. It arrived for reassembly by Lockheed AC at Abbotsinch on January 26, 1943, before being issued to 19MU on March 24, 1943. On August 24, 1943 it was issued to 405ARF before being issued to No.170 Squadron on September 30, 1943 as one of their original NA Mustang Mk.IA aircraft on conversion from the NA Mustang Mk.I. FD535 flew a number of operational sorties with No.170 Squadron and with that Squadron’s disbandment in early 1944 was passed to No.268 Squadron. The first recorded sortie for FD535 with No.268 Squadron was on February 3, 1944. F/O Fraser (an ex-170 Sqdn pilot) flew FD535 on a photographic reconnaissance sortie of NOBALL targets near Rouen that was aborted due to bad weather over the French Coast. FD535 was modified at unit level with the installation of a vertical camera installation in the rear fuselage, to compliment the F.24 oblique camera installed behind the cockpit. FD535 flew 139 operational sorties between February 1944 and the end of December 1944. On November 18, 1944 FD535 was damaged Cat AC and was passed to 412RSU for repairs, being returned to Squadron service a week later. About December 11, 1944 FD535 was temporarily withdrawn from service for major servicing and was returned to Squadron service on December 24, 1944. From the beginning of January 1945 until April 13, 1945, FD535 flew a further 40 operational sorties. In this timeframe, consistent with camouflage and markings policy in effect for 2TAF, FD535 had the propeller spinner painted black, the rear fuselage sky recognition band was over painted and the upper wing and under wing roundels were modified to Type C1. On April 13, 1945 F/L Mayne in FD535 X took off at 18.32 hrs to conduct a contact car co-operation sortie in the Papenberg area, the sortie having to be abandoned due to bad weather. This was the last recorded operational sortie for FD535 X, one of No.268 Squadron’s longest serving aircraft and one of the Squadron aircraft to be modified with the vertical camera installation. It would soon be passed to 412RSU with Cat B damage and shortly afterwards be re- categorised as Cat E and Struck Off Charge on May 3, 1945. During its time with No.268 Squadron between February 1944 and mid-April 1945, FD535 ‘X’ had flown 179 operational sorties, a remarkable achievement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Well that's a bugger. I built the Hobbycraft 1/32 Mustang 1A with all the refining needed (nose, radiator area, guns etc) and scratch built a camera to go behind the pilot but nobody said there was a camera in the rear, hopefully no one will notice. Great history of a very well used and successful aircraft.

TRF