Airfix Sea Fury

Aims

Very nice. Like the paint work and the subtle weathering. Great display. I am going to order one right now. What are the most "essential" aftermarket items in your opinion? Would be great if you could share. 👍

• Like 1

Really great finish, superb finish. Sad, because I read today that the man who taught me to fly back in the 1980's died last week. Pete Shepard was a Korean War Sea Fury pilot who after finishing regular service, ended up trying to teach monkeys like me to fly chipmunks out of Roebourgh (Plymouth) in the mid 1980's.. I think he was THE Sea Fury display pilot for the RN Historic Flight in the 1970's

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Absolutely fantastic. Great plane and great effort on the model.

A question I have had for a while (which is no criticism of this model rather a genuine question): would such planes have had their wings folded with rockets were attached? I have has this question on this and other similar dioramas, such as having all engine cowling open (as if for repair work) on a fighter-bomber with all rockets (or bombs) installed under the wings. Do you know is this was acceptable maintenance protocol?

Very good and inspirational work, thanks for posting.

13 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

Really great finish, superb finish. Sad, because I read today that the man who taught me to fly back in the 1980's died last week. Pete Shepard was a Korean War Sea Fury pilot who after finishing regular service, ended up trying to teach monkeys like me to fly chipmunks out of Roebourgh (Plymouth) in the mid 1980's.. I think he was THE Sea Fury display pilot for the RN Historic Flight in the 1970's

PPL?

Though you were an AC?

BTW are still out east?

• Like 1

Hi guys and thanks - I do not think I have ever had such a response to something I have posted! Anyway a few questions were asked and I will try to answer them!

First - thanks for nice comments about the paint work - I assure you the camera is lying as there are problems everywhere - some caused by failing eyesight others caused but large areas of paint coming off when de-masking carefully. I just cannot get modern primers to etch slightly the plastic and my last three models have all suffered from paint coming off right down to the plastic - I now hate masking! As for the effect I am an old-school pre-shader guy but I like to almost obliterate the pre-shading and sometimes post shade also but You just do not see dirty Sea Furies! And no paint chipping! All paintwork has to keep out the salt water! So apart from where oil meets smoke or carbon and the like these birds are clean but always model to a photograph and if you look at the two photos published of this bird it is spotless.

As for after-market products I used the following - 

Barracuda wheels - a must have and easy to use but be warned - Eduard paint masks too small for these as designed for the kit wheels!

Quick boost U/C doors - big improvement on kit parts

Quick boost cowl and exhausts - as above (I did not use the new Quick boost spinner as I think all you need to do is fill and re-scribe the awful kit mid panel line.

Quick boost wing tanks - not perfect and missing many details as well as not matching lower wing contour but the right size and almost the right pylon depth - could be better but much better than kit parts.

Aires cockpit - nice and gives you the support frame aft of the head armour and seat belts and very nice seat back cushion but nothing else will be seen again! It also needs kits fuselage halves to be thinned to almost daylight. As for the excellent gun sight - it fouls on the kit windscreen causing a lot of work to make windscreen fit! And you cannot use the PE parts that hold the reflector - not unless you use a vacform canopy from Falcon.

Aires U/C bay - wonderful details that you can add a little to but requiring thinning out the plastic to extent you can see day-light - used in conjunction with cockpit it is even worse - a lot of work to make fit plus no clear way to make kit U/C parts fit. Indeed kits retraction mechanism needs to be significantly altered to be used in conjunction with this product. Instructions are misleading in some areas and no mention is given to remember to alter the kits dividing wall so you can pre- locate the front emergency hook - I had to post locate mine from the outside and hope and pray it did not fall into the model!

Wolf-Pack wing fold - great looking details and I think a must have but requiring lots of thinning of inner wing section plus altering the kits gun wall as it fouls on it. You will need to thin out the lip of the kits inner wing area more than needed for the product as if you do not do so it will not look to scale so lots of work to do here also. As for the outer wing sections the product for some strange reason gives solid resin nav lights while the kit ones are clear plastic! cutting away the solid resin and adding the kit clear plastic will reveal that the resin product is thinner than the kits and so there is even more work needed thinning the kits clear plastic and polishing back up.

Barracuda decals - Ok never used this companies decals before and thought they were top of the game but my Squadron badges well out of register and the white of the roundels so super thin that you will see the black stripes underneath them on the outer wings - I had not even thought to try and calculate where to mask this off and not paint black there! A note on the instructions or extra set of plain white roundels would have helped given the subject matter and likelihood of the problem. I had to use two sets of decals to try and hide the black. The instructions also tell you to locate the aircraft number on the doors of 135 K (which Barracuda label 135 T) but this unit never sports the number on the doors as all photos clearly show - again homework and more work!

Master Gun barrels and pitot tube - just fantastic!

Eduard paint masks - perfect fit for canopy and tail wheel but not compatible with Quick boost main wheels

(far too much money spent on one model)

So this baby was finished with a frustrating journey behind it and it is not over yet as if you look at the photos you can see I have completely forgotten to add some hydraulic arms to the wing fold haha - doing that this afternoon. 

In short if I was doing this model again I would use the Barracuda wheels, all the Quick boost sets and some seat belts from some other company and scratch build the wheel bay details. I would also still use the Wolf-Pack wing fold despite the extra work needed. Hope all the above helps someone. Best wishes, John

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Aims
  • Like 3

On 2/26/2020 at 11:05 AM, Cellarfrog said:

Absolutely fantastic. Great plane and great effort on the model.

A question I have had for a while (which is no criticism of this model rather a genuine question): would such planes have had their wings folded with rockets were attached? I have has this question on this and other similar dioramas, such as having all engine cowling open (as if for repair work) on a fighter-bomber with all rockets (or bombs) installed under the wings. Do you know is this was acceptable maintenance protocol?

Very good and inspirational work, thanks for posting.

Hi there - photos are always the key in modelling - you can find photos of many Sea Furies loaded up with rockets with wings folded if it is just before a mission on the flight deck. I agree with you and would personally never model a subject bombed up with lots of maintenance going on and panels off everywhere - it is a bug bear of mine but each to his/her own as they say. The Sea Fury could also have wings folded with 250 lb bombs on the racks but you never see this in practice

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aims said:

Hi there - photos are always the key in modelling - you can find photos of many Sea Furies loaded up with rockets with wings folded if it is just before a mission on the flight deck. I agree with you and would personally never model a subject bombed up with lots of maintenance going on and panels off everywhere - it is a bug bear of mine but each to his/her own as they say. The Sea Fury could also have wings folded with 250 lb bombs on the racks but you never see this in practice

Very interesting! Thanks for the reply, and well done again on the model

• Like 1