Airfix 1/48 Hurricane I - Old Mould

Smithy

Hi all,

I thought that I'd start a WIP for my next build, the venerable old mould Airfix 1/48 Hurricane I. I recently dropped a model I was working on and although it's fixable it's very fiddly, and so I wanted something to take my mind off it and which was a fairly straightforward build. I've had this in the stash for quite a few years and although I've got the newer tool Airfix version, I've always found this a charming kit, probably because it's from around when I first started playing around with models as a kid. Sure it's got raised panel lines and doesn't have the finesse of a more modern generation kit but it's actually pretty good. The fabric effect on the fuselage is much better than the Hasegawa version I've made before and after putting it on the Arthur Bentley drawings, the shape looks pretty much spot on. I'm not planning anything fancy with this, just a nice out of the box build and using the canopy included, so she'll be buttoned up. As a result I'm not adding anything to the office except for a Sutton harness.

Just started with some preliminary painting in the cockpit, the clear parts have been dunked in Reflex floor polish and are curing. Paints are good old Humbrol 78 and Hobbylack silver.

Only a couple of pics, first the obligatory box art and sprue shot of the modest progress so far.

zU2hMjt.jpg

pCJOK9o.jpg

• Like 8

23 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

This was my first 1/48 kit built around 1980 or so. I made it as a night fighter and it looked huge hanging from the bedroom ceiling amongst all the 1/72 planes

It is a bit of a nostalgia kick. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far and it really is surprisingly nice for its age.

Still pottering along with the office, making the Sutton harness at the moment and some work on the prop. Hopefully should have some worthwhile progress to show tomorrow in a photo or two.

• Like 1

Very small update as I've been very busy with other things and haven't had a lot of time to do any modelling.

However I did get the Sutton harness done. It's just strips of Tamiya tape painted and then given a wash to give it a bit of depth. This build will have the canopy closed so I think it should do the job.

Even though it'll be closed, I couldn't help giving the cockpit sides a wash. Silly as you really won't see much of them but I always get a buzz out of doing this and the way it makes the cockpit detail "pop" that little bit.

Some other little bits and bobs...

The instrument panel and gun sight has been painted black and glossed for the instrument decal which I should get on today. The spade grip on the control column has been drilled out using a pin vice drill as it was a solid piece of plastic.

The eagle-eyed will notice that one of the prop blades has been removed along with the spinner and back plate. So if I get the time today it would be nice to get the prop unit assembled.

QmNkwY0.jpg

Mqq4wiu.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

• Like 4

That Sutton harness looks GREAT!

One (second-hand) caution: watch for dihedral.  I believe that the solution has been to sand the wheel-well mating surface a bit, otherwise it forces the wing to be too "flat".  But while I have several of this kit, I haven't actually built one.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

That Sutton harness looks GREAT!

One (second-hand) caution: watch for dihedral.  I believe that the solution has been to sand the wheel-well mating surface a bit, otherwise it forces the wing to be too "flat".  But while I have several of this kit, I haven't actually built one.

Thanks for the tip on the dihedral and the wheel well fix for it Ginger, much appreciated.

It really is a great kit. The more I've been working on it, the more I like it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

For something this old I'm really enjoying making this. It doesn't have the finesse of the more modern engineered kits and I found with my one it needed a little tidying up in places (nothing taxing or difficult though just a little flash on some of the smaller pieces), but it's a fun kit and the shape is very nice. And cheap as chips to boot.

Really enjoying your build Lord Riot and yours is looking a treat.