Finland - 9K37M1 BUK (SA-11)

helios16v

OMG!!! :yikes:  I'd completely forgotten about this build......probably lost somewhere around pg 7 of the builds.

This is actually a model I have on my watch list on evilBay....mainly so I don't forget about it! I am tempted to get one and it would fit with some of the other stuff I'm building.

Good luck. :D

I've been bouncing between the BUK & ETS2 today.  Making some solid headway.  Looking to be on track for assembly completion by tomorrow night.  Lots of little fiddly bits.  On the plus side...I've got most of the fiddly bits done.  And the tracks are already complete.  Updates should start looking a bit more substantial in a bit.

49872528161_e39a5f7c11_c.jpg

• Like 3

49872566523_eefe1156d6_c.jpg

Last update for the night.  Lower hull is complete.  All that is left is launcher, missles & paint.  Sounds like it's almost there.....  :rofl2:

Off to bed and hit it again tomorrow.

• Like 5

Great progress Chris. After this one you'll be able to return your attention to the everlasting Photo Phantom ;) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Great progress Chris. After this one you'll be able to return your attention to the everlasting Photo Phantom ;) 

....like my Draken???    :rofl2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

....like my Draken???    :rofl2:

No Rich, not like Schrodinger's Draken, you see Chris has made good progress with his Photo Phantom and it only needs to be finished off :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Col. said:

No Rich, not like Schrodinger's Draken, you see Chris has made good progress with his Photo Phantom and it only needs to be finished off :rolleyes:

so do I......once I start it! :rofl2:

You have another week to go with this one now Chris, so that should be plenty of time to finish her.

• Thanks 1

Sweet.  I won't have to rush the paintwork now.  :coolio:

Still going to try to have it all assembled tonight though so I can start prime/paint tomorrow.

• Like 1

Turns out the missile rails themselves are mini kits.  :rofl2:  And unfortunately some ejector pin marks in plain sight.  With the extension I'm going to go ahead and take the time to fix it.  Overall though I've been really pleased with this kit.  Minimal flash, tight panel joins, and minimal application of putty (I think this is only the second time I've had to bust the tube out for a small fill/level).

49880002197_5ce50bf82b_c.jpg

• Like 2

Down to antenna, platform railings, missile assembly.  Almost there.  It may just make primer and pre-shade tonight after all.  

49880710356_342267e91e_c.jpg

• Like 2

it does look good!

I have the Trumpie SA-4 "Ganef", I know what you mean about mini-kits within the main kit!!!

I've had my eye on one of these for a while now....I may just have to get one, once I've moved!

Assembled.  Unfortunately it's also almost midnight and I need to get up at 0600 for work tomorrow.  At least I'm only working from home this week.  :thumbsup:

I managed to break a bit that is not really repairable as it's buried down inside the launch well.  :wall: Tomorrow with a little luck primer/pre-shade and some NATO Black...if the Nordic Build Gods look upon me favorably.

Now to go grab a quick bite and off to bed.  Cheers.

49881286603_184069c172_c.jpg

49881806141_db92b8a3db_c.jpg

• Like 5

More progress.  The dark green came out a bit too grey...probably going to try some Euro1 Dark Green and see if that looks a bit better.  Then I'll have a fair bit of touchup to do.  But I think I should be about ready for decals by Friday night.

Teaser....

49888980007_51011697b2_c.jpg

49888906183_475a8df0b4_c.jpg

• Like 6

That's just freehand.  Though I found some better pics, and the lines should've been hard rather than soft...so we'll see if I go and make masks.  I probably should...

looks good Chris!  :thumbsup:

Teah most of the stuff i'v seen pictures of have a hard edge to the camp pattern.......not the easiest to do on lumpy beasts like this. I have 2 awaiting painting like this! 

Updated color.  In the interest of time, I'm not going to worry about the hard vs soft line.  Yes it's not correct, but this kit is the first piece of armor I've built, so it's always been more of an experiment anyways.  My priority is to try to see this thing completed this weekend...I don't want to get bogged down this late in the game w/ masks.

49898897096_166e37c962_c.jpg

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2

no matter if the scheme is 100% correct of not, she's going to look really impressive when done!!

your bench is nearly as tidy as mine! :D  Though I have to admit mine is feeling very abandoned...I have touched any of my builds for over 2 weeks now! :crying:

Yeah, it's currently hella cluttered w/ 8 different builds that are in various stages.  :boom:  I hope to get 3 of them (BUK, MiG-15, & Bluefish) off the bench in the next month.  Need to clear some room for the A-10 and maybe a B-25.

Slowly picking away.  Things are still on track for finishing in time though.  Hoping tomorrow night/Sunday morning.  Going to try to avoid coming down to the wire (aka last couple hours).

49899537558_e97d3ac410_c.jpg

• Like 5

Pro tip.....

Don't use turpentine as a wash component on plastic tracks.....

Gonna take some work to dig myself out of the mess I've gotten myself into.

• Sad 3

Top tip Helios but it sounds like you found out the hard way mate :huh:

Any mineral based spirit will strip out the plasticisers and cause it to crumble. I know it’s Probably too late now but you need to use a acrylic based wash. I feel your pain, depending on how bad they are you can get some Fruil white metal links to use, that’s if you feel that the kit tracks are now a write off.

Dan 

• Like 1