dusting/cleaning models

WelshZeCorgi

I got dust on my models and I'm unsure how you would properly clean them without knocking off fragile parts or bending PE. Also, I got rain on one of mine and it left nasty white spots where the water landed. Not sure how to clean that up..

Do you guys normally put finished models in a cabinet or other clear container to protect them from dust? I've been thinking of mounting models (the ones that came out good, at least) in small display cases to prevent them from getting dirty. 

Typically, I use a wide, very soft paintbrush to clean dust off my models. If you’re careful it shouldn’t damage the model, although that does depend, to some extent, on how securely all the fine detail pieces are attached.

I have also rinsed some of my models under the tap using warm, but not hot, water. But I wouldn’t do that if I’d used weathering powders or similar that weren’t sealed onto the surface with a clear coat.

Yeah all in a display cabinet. 
Still need a dust once every couple of months as it works its way in. 
Use an anti static pc board cleaning brush, same one I use in the spray booth pre airbrush work. 
I find using a regular brush just moves the dust around as it still clings to the model. 

Tony

I use a Tamiya antistatic cleaning brush (YouTube review) at around £18 it's a bit pricey (though shop around - I've seen them for less around the 'net).

I does work very well and it's delicate filaments will not damage rigging, little sticky out bits etc. Of course that being the case, it's not much use on well set or sticky dust, so I make it a point to do regular brushings to avoid any clean-up. It's a sort of a "painting the Forth Road Bridge" deal - never ending.

I brush in my spray booth with the fan on - no point in flicking dust off the model only to have it hanging in the air looking for somewhere to land.

For cases where heavy cleaning is required (ie. some old models recovered from the loft), there is no easy solution. I use q-tips dipped in water with a little detergent and just scrub away. In this case I accept things are going to get knocked off, so work with the model in a plastic box in the hope this will retain any dislodged parts for later re-attachment. Obviously this is the preferred method, so regular light cleaning is the way to go.

My models are held on open shelves - I don't have the space for display cabinets - but they are fairly closely spaced, so dust accumulation isn't too bad . 

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 1