Rudolf Sinner's Me 262 RLM colour question

Sturmovik

7PayV9T.jpg

Hi, which colours would be better suited to represent this aircraft flown by Rudolf Sinner? RLM 70/71, RLM 70/82, RLM 70/83, RLM 82/83 (which doesn't have any tonal variation on the Dora I built), ot RLM 81/82?

Personally, I think the first option would be more colourful, but I'd like to know a definitive answer.

TIA!

P.s: Here's the Dora in 82/83:

51tnrKt.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik

I think RLM82 was a bright grass green rather than the darker green you have used on your model. A lighter 82 would give a contrast but can't speculate if they were in fact the colours used on Sinner's aircraft. For what it's worth RLM 70 & 71 were quite close in colour so I think you could rule them out.

TRF 

24 minutes ago, fastterry said:

lighter 82

Bummer, Revell recommends for RLM 82 their Bronze Green colour, which is the lighter of the two greens on the Dora.

Maybe the aircraft was painted in RLM 83/71?

Edited by Sturmovik

Having reread SeaVenom's post above I would probably go for RLM82 (light green) with RLM70 stripes. Reasoning being that even though RLM70 & RLM71 were to be phased out of use on aircraft, RLM70 was still used on all propellers of aircraft still in production from 1944 on so would be still available. I suppose it would be possible that they used some RLM71 that somebody managed to find in a cupboard somewhere. Main thing is nobody knows for sure so paint it the way you want and let anybody that doesn't like it prove it's wrong. My two bobs.

TRF

• Thanks 1

It wouldn't be a matter of raiding the cupboard.  The 1944 instructions implementing 81/82 encouraged using up supplies of 70/71, even to the point of trading supplies with other plants. So 70 or 71 as a dark color with 82 light green is consistent with contemporary rags.  As an aside, somehow that color scheme reminds me of one used on Ju-188's.  See what happens why you transfer underutilized 'black men' from KG's to JG's!

Since my last post the old brain has been working away on this. With regard to the instruction to use up existing stocks of 70 & 71, how much stock would a factory have? I guess Junkers would have had a fair amount for painting Ju88 & 188 aircraft but considering the deteriorating position regarding shortage of materials, bombing raids etc would the amount of stock held by a factory be more than say a months supply? As I mentioned before RLM70 was being used on propellers right up until the end of the war so that would have been available. I have also tracked down my copy of 'Jagdwaffe vol. 5 sect. 4' by Smith & Creek and Sinner's Me262 is shown on page 365 with the same photo as above and a colour profile. They suggest that the base colour is RLM82 (light green) with RLM81 (brown violet) for the stripes. Interestingly I think the Me262 parked behind Sinner's a/c has similar tones for the light and dark areas. Just to stir the pot some more, going through the book it's quite noticeable how the Me262's paint upper surfaces gets darker and darker as you get closer to the end of the war with some a/c having a solid dark colour (RLM81 dark green variant) similar to Erla built Bf109G-10's. More grist for the mill.

TRF

• Like 1

To my eye the second 262 of the photo has a somewhat lighter dark shade area than The dark shade of Ruddy Sinners strips. It could be the result of being a newer paintwork or it could be a different shade used on both. Only the light paint if the upper camouflage seems common on both. To make things even more weird take in consideration different shades of the same. RLM designation, like the 81 that some claim can be more purple(ish) or more brown(ish). I would use what your guys tells you, no one can claim being right with an educated guess

Edited by Holzhamer