F-86K Sabre Dog, 337 Squadron, Norwegian AF, 1965

Courageous

Hello all. While I'm away on a course, I thought I'd take this opportunity to start no.2 in this GB.

Some of you know that I like building Sabres, so here I will be killing 'two birds with one stone', Nordic and Sabre. 

20200224-194505-1.jpg

The box, lovely.

20200224-194624-1.jpg

Fuselage sprue.

20200224-194729-1.jpg

Wings and tanks sprue.

20200224-194644-1.jpg

Everything else sprue and it looks a bit 'flashy'.

20200224-195127-1.jpg

Decal options. Resin wheels. Vac canopies.

20200224-195619.jpg

The subject :yes:

Stuart

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

OH WOW a Sabre Dog!!!!  Welcome along again Stuart and this time with a Sabre Dog...awesome!!!

I didn't know the Norwegians operated them......I do like this scheme....I could be very tempted to do this one in 1/32 (though I really want to do the Luftwaffe one as well!)

The sprue do look a bit flashy as you say, a bit of cleaning up will be required...and made some new replacement bits?

Good luck with this build, if it's like your seaplane definitely one to follow.

With the TV on in the background, a can of ale to the side, I've spent the evening dabbling with this kit, mainly removing and cleaning the larger parts like fuselage and wings. I can't remember if I've built a Special Hobby kit before but the plastic is quite soft with no location pins, so extra care and work will be needed.

2 hours ago, reini said:

And quite flashy indeed

47 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

The sprue do look a bit flashy as you say

Cheers for the second welcome. Now, I can't remember where I got this kit but I 'smell a rat'...or two. Looking at this 'flashy' sprue, it looks different to the other sprues, besides flashy that is. It's shiney and just doesn't look right, doesn't cut right, as if it was some kind of after thought but it's what I've got, just got to suck it up and get on with it. Also, I seem to be lacking a PE fret so...

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

made some new replacement bits?

...that's exactly what I've got to do. It looks like the majority of the PE was destined for the cockpit, so a bit of work there. And the absolute bugger is all those little vortex generator vanes are PE and missing. This could be a little bit of a God send as I wasn't looking forward to fitting them anyway but they were a feature, so...

Stuart

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Courageous said:

And the absolute bugger is all those little vortex generator vanes are PE and missing. This could be a little bit of a God send as I wasn't looking forward to fitting them anyway but they were a feature, so...

:D I built the 1/48th Collect-Aire resin one a little while back, it had wee resin ones moulded on the fuselage.....of course they all broke off and I was forced to make new ones!!

• Like 1

Excellent! Welcome back Stuart and what a subject - one I was hoping to see in this GB :D 

Strangely enough while you were posting your thread I was away rumaging around the internet trying to find some decals to suit the Airfix kits in my stash and fighting the temptation to buy the 48th scale Special Hobby kit :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I didn't know the Norwegians operated them......I do like this scheme....I could be very tempted to do this one in 1/32 (though I really want to do the Luftwaffe one as well!)

Get two and do a double-build ;) 

• Like 1

Excellent choice of subject Stuart. I have this one in my stash and also built the H. Special Hobby of this era can be a bit of a challenge but I do like them a lot. I'll check my one later to see if it has same issues as yours.

Norwegian scheme is so cool...

Terry

• Like 2

Hi Stuart,

I see from Scalemates that SH issued this as a H, K or L. I have no idea what the difference was but perhaps the "flashy" sprue has the bits specific to the K and the others are "universal".

I have an old Airfix D and another in my stash, but I gather the some of the later versions were aimed at Europe mainly as Nato "assistance" from the US.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

If you need any colour photo references let me know. 

Thanks Martin, maybe later, need to find out the sizes of the vortex generator vanes first. I'm hoping that Sabrejet will get back to me on the subject.

Stuart

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 11:23 PM, PeterB said:

Hi Stuart,

I see from Scalemates that SH issued this as a H, K or L. I have no idea what the difference was but perhaps the "flashy" sprue has the bits specific to the K and the others are "universal".

I have an old Airfix D and another in my stash, but I gather the some of the later versions were aimed at Europe mainly as Nato "assistance" from the US.

Cheers

Pete

From memory the H & L versions had the missile pack under the fuselage, while the K, had the 4x20mm cannons fitted instead. Other than that I think there wasn’t very much else different....but I’d have to check.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Stuart,

any progress on this?  It looks very promising.  I've never been a huge fan of the Sabre Dog (but love the regular sabre), but it is growing on me. 

I have a goal to make a model of every fighter the Norwegians have flown, so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Cheers.

On 10/15/2020 at 2:19 AM, opus999 said:

any progress on this?

Unfortunately not. With the missing PE, it was put onto the back-burner with the intention of restarting it in the next Nordic GB but it may start sooner if I clear my decks of other builds.

Stuart

• Like 1