1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk IV F, Classic Airframes (Finished, at last, April 04)

I'm working on Classic Airframes 1/48 Blenheim IV.f.  I've vacuformed the blister side windows, and cut out and filled the triangle window in the center of the windscreen, and am working on the other details that make the 404 Squadron Coastal Command aircraft interesting.  Here's some of the progress so far …

The blister windows ..

Image1

Image2

The cockpit (based on pilots handbook photo's) Lot's of scratchbuilding here, including the throttle quadrant (20 pieces in that!)

Image20

Image21

Image22

The engines, props, and flame suppressing exhaust (Ultracast Beaufighter long exhaust, with a reprofiled bomb nose) ...

Image3 Image23

and the twin Browning .303 upper turret (all scratch built)

Image16

Image24

Image25

Image27

hope you like so far

Colin

• Like 22

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Hi Colin,

Excellent start, not sure if you are aware that the propeller blades are too long and would actually hit the fuselage, or at least they did on my Mark V version so they need trimming?

Mike

Yep, I just checked, and they will just touch, thanks for pointing that out. I'll get the wings and engines fitted and then deal with the props (two steps forward, one step back!)

Props do come awful darned close to the skin, I find ...

http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkarounds/avia/before_1950/blenheim/Bristol_149_Blenheim_Mk4_26.jpg.htmlw

12 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

So, I'm guessing you have the full compliment of 404 Squadron photos from the now-gone website?

Chris

Yes, I copied the photo's you had posted, before, thanks

• Like 1

A small update, I've just about completed the deeper gunpod, based on photo's and drawings kindly provide here.

The resin bulges were sawed of the kit pod, and will be reduced and fit after the pod itself is installed.

Image28

Image29

Image5

• Like 9

I have the transparencies fitted and blended in, and the vacuformed blister windows turned out well (IMHO), and the triangular center section window is in (Classics put a seam down the center of it!) I've also carved the wedge shaped rear view mirror.  

I still have to sand the sliding portion rails down to a curved cross section. The windows are dusty right now, but will be cleaned up eventually, after the final painting, I always brush on thinned Future to the outside of the windows, and this gives them a nice clarity and shine (all have been Futured on the inside already.

Image30

Image31

Image32

Image33

Hope you like so far ...

Colin

• Like 18

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk IV F, Classic Airframes (new photo's March 03)
1 hour ago, CheshireGap said:

Excellent work, hope that ring sight stays firmly in place for the rest of the build...!

Thanks, -  Ha!  That's what I was worried about, but it's drilled right through the windscreen frame and solidly Zap-a-gapped from the outside, and sanded flush!

• Like 1

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk IV F, Classic Airframes (new photo's March 05)

Hi Colin,

that's a build to my taste. One question regarding the vacuformed blister windows: what kind of vacuum forming machine did you use? Something commercially available or homebuilt?

Cheers

Markus

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

One question regarding the vacuformed blister windows: what kind of vacuum forming machine did you use? Something commercially available or homebuilt?

Cheers

Markus

Thanks, I used a commercially available 'Dental' vacuform machine, identical to this one ...

I bought mine on 'Amazon' but have seen them on Ebay, various hobby supply companies, and all over the internet.

You can see how well they work. 

(Note - the ones I'm familiar with are 110 voltage, North American style plug - not U.K. 230 Voltage, They MAY be available in U.K. standard, I just don't know) 

• Like 3

I've pretty much finished with the gun pod and blast plate. It's getting close to painting time!

Image37

Image38

a comparison ...

Image40

… a little shimming and filling left on the plate, but I'm happy with the shape.

• Like 9

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk IV F, Classic Airframes (new photo's March 12)
12 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is that venturi-like device behind the airman?

It's a venturi.

Probably used to provide a vacuum for some instruments. The early fabric-winged Hurricanes had one. Lots of pre-war designs had these until electric instruments were developed.

44227889855_360392f7fb_b.jpg

46739156642_f5b88944ed_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

It's a venturi.

Probably used to provide a vacuum for some instruments. The early fabric-winged Hurricanes had one. Lots of pre-war designs had these until electric instruments were developed.

Brb, off to check the Deconstruction Manuel on my Blenheim.

The venturi is the vacuum source for the gyro instruments, such as the artificial horizon (attitude indicator), and the gyro compass (heading indicator).  Venturi's were used on many early military aircraft, (and light civilian aircraft up to the late '50's). They were replaced by an engine driven vacuum pump, mainly because (1) the instruments didn't begin functioning until flying speed was reached - you couldn't set the gyro compass until airborne, or ensure that the horizon worked properly, and, (2) any icing at all caused your 'blind flying' instruments to fail when you needed them most!

The turn co-ordinator (while being a gyro instrument) is usually electrically driven, to provide an independent source of info. (not sure if it was electric or vacuum on the Blenheim)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

The venturi is the vacuum source for the gyro instruments, such as the artificial horizon (attitude indicator), and the gyro compass (heading indicator).  Venturi's were used on many early military aircraft, (and light civilian aircraft up to the late '50's). They were replaced by an engine driven vacuum pump, mainly because (1) the instruments didn't begin functioning until flying speed was reached - you couldn't set the gyro compass until airborne, or ensure that the horizon worked properly, and, (2) any icing at all caused your 'blind flying' instruments to fail when you needed them most!

The turn co-ordinator (while being a gyro instrument) is usually electrically driven, to provide an independent source of info. (not sure if it was electric or vacuum on the Blenheim)

Thanks! I couldn't remember what exactly needed the vacuum and didn't have any references to it. 

Chris