Wingnut Wings extra parts

Faraway

Just coming to the end of building the Junkers D1 and I’m finding parts on the spru, that don’t appear in the instructions. There is even a service pistol.

Anyone know why these parts are there, is it a strange quirk of WNW. I admit I’ve never built one before.

Jon

If it's the pistol on the Mercedes engine sprue then it's a flare pistol. Probably the flare pistol is used in other kits that also have the Mercedes engine, like two seat observation airplanes.

I'm building my second WNW kit and have stolen some of the extra parts, like the propeller for upgrading kits from other manufacturers, love the extra parts.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ted said:

If it's the pistol on the Mercedes engine sprue then it's a flare pistol. Probably the flare pistol is used in other kits that also have the Mercedes engine, like two seat observation airplanes.

I'm building my second WNW kit and have stolen some of the extra parts, like the propeller for upgrading kits from other manufacturers, love the extra parts.

I think you are right. There are two other propellers, that don’t fit this aircraft. 

The unused parts are the parts that are blued out on page 2 of the instructions. 

I've made quite a few and I believe the amount of unused parts can vary from kit to kit.

I've built at least 2 kits so far that even has a teddy bear on the sprue, which was used as a mascot by a few pilots.

Have you enjoyed your Wingnut experience? I have to admit I am hooked and have somehow ended up with 23. God knows how that happened 🙂

I haven't got the Junkers D1 though.

Would love to see your build when you are done.

All the best, Martin 

Edited by Martin Ford
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martin Ford said:

The unused parts are the parts that are blued out on page 2 of the instructions. 

I've made quite a few and I believe the amount of unused parts can vary from kit to kit.

I've built at least 2 kits so far that even has a teddy bear on the sprue, which was used as a mascot by a few pilots.

Have you enjoyed your Wingnut experience? I have to admit I am hooked and have somehow ended up with 23. God knows how that happened 🙂

I haven't got the Junkers D1 though.

Would love to see your build when you are done.

All the best, Martin 

Finishing the D1 tomorrow, or at least that’s the plan. Decals in place, just need to give it a final spray of varnish. Not sure yet as to matt or silk. I’ll post in ‘ready for inspection’ WNW kits are good, bit pricey, so very rewarding. The D1 is an ugly bugger.

• Like 1

spacer.pngI am loving the Wingnuts kits. I am back to modelling after many years. Partly as I realised modelling, taking pictures, airshows and quite a lot of the writing I did was all a substitute to actually going flying, so I spend an obscene amount of money restoring and flying my Rearwin, and kept up my connections with the totally wonderful Memorial Flight in France. Now, the chemo means no medical and income ain’t what it used to be, and my wife bought me the Le Rhône Camel last Christmas. 

I left it alone for ages as I had, when I did model, never been happy with brush finishes and how well I made them, so I purposefully set myself a learning curve. I wanted to make sure I did it as well as I could as Mrs Hiscock (a fine woman) was looking forwards to a perfect model.

First off we’re a couple of Spitfires which ended up as painting mules. Then a couple of Seafires to try out the new airbrush with which I learned ‘don’t but cheap’.

Then I made the Airfix Phantom in the colours of the one that broke the speed of sound at Lee in Solent Air Day in 1969. 

Then I did an Eduard Spitfire IX and declared I was happy with the finish. 

I felt ready....

So, in at the deep end, and started the Camel and REALLY enjoyed the build. I have a very good friend who has been trying to get me into meditation to help my cancer. It really has turned his life around and, in my case, I can really see the benefits. I am not good at pure meditation, but drilling out the spark plug wire holes  in the distributor of the Le Rhône is as near as it can be. So, I am not only having fun but getting the health benefits too!

The Camel is almost there. Not as perfect as i’d like, but better than anything I’ve made before. Finding there were two 54sq schemes and I have a photocopy if a 54sq pilot’s diary for that period upstairs was a bonus and nice to be able to make a connection. 

So, a quick divert to make the big Tamiya Spitfire VIII In the colours of Neville Duke’s, a lightning  quick 48th Spitfire VB to give to a friend whose grandfather served in 92 during and after the battle and then last night I started the Albatros DVa. I ordered the limited edition one with the stripey Bavarian as the Memorial  Flight have what is left from this very aeroplane, and are building a flying replica.

I also got myself the Gnome Sopwith Pup, to do as Balfour’s ‘School of Special Flying’ example as my grandfather used to watch over the fence at Fort Grange and Gosport may not be able to boast much, but we did invent structured flying training. It means two stripey airplanes, but they are both relevant to me, which is the case with all but the Eduard Spitfire and the test Seafires (not even a Lee in Solent one yet), and is quite fun.

I NEED Wingnuts to do a SPAD XIII, having been involved with the last airworthy one for thirty years, it needs to be modelled, I could do a DVII, We did have SE5a and Dr1, we have the Strutter and Be2f, it is too much to hope for a Morane AI, a Bleriot Militaire would be fun, but I am really enjoying the new-found skills and the quality of these kits AND it is doing me good to get into the zone and concentrate on drilling magneto holes for a 180 Mercedes with the thought going in the back of my mind that we actually have that very engine (in surprisingly good condition) to refer to (if I fly to France).

So, i agree, what amazing kits. I just need more storage space !

Still some work to do on the Camel....

• Like 4