Nordic Heavy Metal Pt 4 - Mig-21

Enzo the Magnificent

I've done Sweden, Denmark and Norway so far in this GB, sadly leaving out Finland.  Let's rectify that now!

This is the Zvezda Mig-21bis, which will be built OOB in Finnish colours.

spacer.png

A lovely kit.  This isn't my first attempt at this kit.  I used it as a basis for numerous conversions in the Mig-21 STGB a few years ago.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some manufacturers could learn a thing or two about kit packaging from Zvezda.  Although the box top is flimsy card, the box itself is a very robust heavy duty cardboard thing, with its own folding lid.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 10

Part 4 you say Enzo? I’d better go and search for Parts 1 and 3!! I’d been keen to see this one, as I haven’t built, let alone got close to a Zvezda kit. The MiG-21 is not exactly my thing, however I could also say the same for quite a few other kits that (thanks to this GB) have been acquired recently. It has certainly been a breath of fresh air and I’m glad I’ve opened my eyes to other subjects not operated by the usual Allied suspects. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

welcome along and.........and having haven't I seen you here multiple times already!!! 

It's because of people like you that I have to slave away for hours going over all the updates......and we're about to go onto page 6!!! :yikes:

It's nice to see another MiG-21 in the build.

Good luck with this one as well, I'm sure you're going to have them all completed by the end of the GB! :fight:

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Part 4 you say Enzo? I’d better go and search for Parts 1 and 3!! I’d been keen to see this one, as I haven’t built, let alone got close to a Zvezda kit. The MiG-21 is not exactly my thing, however I could also say the same for quite a few other kits that (thanks to this GB) have been acquired recently. It has certainly been a breath of fresh air and I’m glad I’ve opened my eyes to other subjects not operated by the usual Allied suspects. 

Cheers.. Dave 

...and Pt 5...think even he may have forgotten about his wee tank as well!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...and Pt 5...think even he may have forgotten about his wee tank as well!

That's not a fast jet, although it is heavy metal.  I certainly haven't forgotten about it.  

First step was to paint up the fuselage interior bits.  The cockpit components were sprayed with Vallejo Model Color 70.838 Emerald.  Intake and exhaust areas were sprayed with generic aluminium from an auto rattle can. 

spacer.png

Interior components fitted.  The off-white slab behind the cockpit is my usual motorcycle wheel balance weights.  There is also a bit of liquid gravity in front of the cockpit.  The radome is sprayed with Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green

spacer.png

Fuselage assembled

spacer.png

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, Col. said:

This kit looks to be a half-decent representation of the MiG-21, everything fitting together well enough so far?

Pretty good kit, fit is generally OK as I remember. (I did it some 7-8 years ago)

Main wheels though are wrong for bis version - Zvezda gave wheels for R/MF in this kit - on following photo, left wheel is correct for bis, while the right one is for R/MF (and that one was given in Zvezda kit)

Conversion is not so complicated, it requires just a bit of thin styrene rings...

1228885-33840-22-720.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Quick update.

Main airframe assembled and windscreen fitted and masked.  Ready for primer.

spacer.png

Primed with my usual plastic primer from an auto rattle can and then sprayed with Lifecolor UA-540 Oliivin Vihreä.

spacer.png

I then masked the camouflage using my usual techniqu of Blutak worms, Copydex and masking tape patches.

spacer.png

and the brown was sprayed with Tamiya XF-51.   I googled a photo of the actual aircraft I am modelling, which showed that the camoflage patch on the nose is actually a very dark green, so I used Tamiya XF-62 for that area.

spacer.png

• Like 9

nice!

one question  though, did you re-do the green color from the first to the camo pics? it looks much greener, if that make sense, in your last green photo than in the first... strange

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice work Enzo! :thumbsup:

For some reason I really do like the scheme of these Finish MiG-21's.... I may have to do one one day!

Still plenty time left in this GB... :whistle:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

sorry, I have a possible serious #2 build planned for the Navy GB! :wicked:

You don't have time for that navy lark, get back here and build Nordic subjects!

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2020 at 9:47 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

my usual plastic primer from an auto rattle can

What brand is that?  I am always afraid the paint will be too hot and melt the plastic.

This is looking really good.

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1

The brand I use is AutoTek.   I've tried their grey primer, which sometimes lifts when masked.  But the grey plastic primer is slightly hotter and grips well.

I find that if you spray a number of very thin coats, it doesn't matter how hot the primer is.

Changed my mind.  After a couple of coats of acrylic lacquer, the brown didn't look nearly dark enough.  I masked it all up again and resprayed with Lifecolor UA-274.   That's much better.

spacer.png

• Like 8

I'm liking the look of this, I've been contemplating a KoPro Mig-21Bis like @John D.C. Masters has built when I saw this too & thought, "I've got that kit", having forgotten its Finnish option. Alas, the Finnish roundels are quite out of register, but otherwise the decals look good so with some AM roundels, I'll be OK. :) Not for this GB though. :( 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Sad 1