The Mighty "JUG". P-47 N Thunderbolt by Academy 1/48

The Mighty "JUG"

P-47 Thunderbolt by Academy 1/48

Hello and welcome to a build I have always wanted to build.

I have loved the P-47 ever since I played this. 

back in the day at the arcade in Cradely heath. ( part of the royal cinema )😀

I have never had a P-47 in the stash or known much about it but I picked up a dank old kit last time I visited "Parabellum" in Birmingham's Jewelry quarter.

the box looked a bit war torn but the picture on the cover had me smitten. 🥰

49579641618_99b5e002fe_b.jpg

what a picture!!!!!!. 😇

I have been gathering info all day and have started some work that I will post up later as I gotta walk the hound right now.

I do hope that you will join me on a Jugtastic adventure that will definitely involve some photo etch, some scratch building and a whole lotta fun. 🤩

Take care and See ya'll later on for some update action.

All the best and as always.

Happy modeling.

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, I am in Johnny, can`t beat a Jug sir..

And there is plenty of room for the add- ons 😀.

Simon

Glad to have you along for the ride! As for extras I don’t want to spend too much if I can help it. I’ll try and build the add one if I can. 🤩

59 minutes ago, Wince said:

Will follow this as have a smaller jug in the stash I want to build. 

Oooh lovely. Small jugs, big jugs, medium sized jugs. All good. 🤣

44 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Love the jug, will take a seat and watch this become another show stopper!

Roger   

Very kind. Glad to have you along sir. 🤩

• Haha 1

Ok back from ze walk with the Schnauzer. 🐺
Here’s what we have in the box.

49579641833_bdaf6e5036_b.jpg

Wingy things. 🤩

49580141116_a57f99d4bc_b.jpg

Bangy things and the jug!

49579641508_89e57c0ff7_b.jpg

faded instructions and the decals look good. 
This is quite an old kit. 95, there is a great foreword that I was going to type out but I figured you could zoom in on the pic. 🤣

it had an auto pilot. 😳

Everything looks pretty straight forward.

49580140996_f106ff536b_b.jpg

First things first is the office.

49580141301_6008d4b9a0_b.jpg

I did a bit of a dry fit. The details look rather good.

49580369007_a688948a3b_b.jpg

my initial thought were OOB. And to be fair it still will be but I got to the IP.

49580368987_0dd4093c02_b.jpg

It’s ok but there are no decals for it and I only have these spares.

49580141006_55d3df5d44_b.jpg

So for about a fiver I have ordered the Eduard cockpit PE set. I think with a bit of love and that photo etch this is going to look great.  🤗

49580368947_5f3d514cc4_b.jpg

I have been looking at a few builds on here. Not that many WIPs really but the ones I have seen look amazing and one thing that seems to be an ongoing fix is additions to the wasp engine. I think I’m bound to update this with whatever I have to hand.

looks like it’s going to be fun. 😇 the PE got posted today so it should be here soon. 

Thanks for tagging along if you indeed are.

more soon.

Take care Y’all. 

Johnny. 🙌

• Like 13

I have just had a look at the runners you have got for the Jug Johnny.

From what these faded grey cells remember the gun bays are not the best of fits.

But at least the main U/C bays are wholly on the wings, the "D" variant I did was split between fuselage and wing.

Just a heads up mate.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case such things bother you the floor in later P-47's (I think from the D-30 onwards)  was flat rather then ribbed as per earlier P-47's

Additionally, the N wheels had extra spokes on account of the heavier air frame, but I cant recall if Academy addressed this or not.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I managed to inherit this kit from someone who started it and didn’t want to have it anymore. Since I got it for free, I decided to splurge on the Aires cockpit resin set, and I managed to snag some decals on the cheap, as mine weren’t in as good of shape as yours. Vector also made a resin engine and some other bits, but I haven’t had a great look in the box to see if the parts warrant aftermarket, or just some scratch building. 

Like you, I’m a big fan of the P-47, and the N model is the biggest, baddest Jug around!

Mind if I pull up a chair and a pint?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:34 PM, The Spadgent said:

there is a great foreword that I was going to type out but I figured you could zoom in on the pic. 🤣

Single piston engine you say?  Must've been a bloody great big one, considering the standard pistons make a decent ashtray.

Look forward to enjoying your build, Johnny.  

9 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I have just had a look at the runners you have got for the Jug Johnny.

From what these faded grey cells remember the gun bays are not the best of fits.

But at least the main U/C bays are wholly on the wings, the "D" variant I did was split between fuselage and wing.

Just a heads up mate.

Simon.

Yeah I’m not a fan of the way the gun bays look. I’m going to do this one closed up. 🤩 Thanks for the heads up. 

I noticed you had a comment on a WIP of this kit back in 2015 I think. It never got finished. Shame as it looked great. I’ll use that as a starting point for mine I think. 🤗

23 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

OK 

Let's GO....!!! 

Woot! 

9 hours ago, Harley John said:

I'll follow if I may. I have just acquired three 1/72 Jugs somehow.

Be my guest. 🤗 Three kits you say? How on earth did that happen? 🤣

9 hours ago, TempestV said:

In case such things bother you the floor in later P-47's (I think from the D-30 onwards)  was flat rather then ribbed as per earlier P-47's

Additionally, the N wheels had extra spokes on account of the heavier air frame, but I cant recall if Academy addressed this or not.

Cheers,

Chris

I’ll look into it. Thanks for the heads up. 🤩

7 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

I managed to inherit this kit from someone who started it and didn’t want to have it anymore. Since I got it for free, I decided to splurge on the Aires cockpit resin set, and I managed to snag some decals on the cheap, as mine weren’t in as good of shape as yours. Vector also made a resin engine and some other bits, but I haven’t had a great look in the box to see if the parts warrant aftermarket, or just some scratch building. 

Like you, I’m a big fan of the P-47, and the N model is the biggest, baddest Jug around!

Mind if I pull up a chair and a pint?

Glad to have you along. Enjoy. 😇

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in, of course :popcorn:

Excellent news Mr B. 🧐

59 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Single piston engine you say?  Must've been a bloody great big one, considering the standard pistons make a decent ashtray.

Look forward to enjoying your build, Johnny.  

I know when you said that it sounded odd. It does say that but having a quick google there seem to be lots of pistons. ?

Hope you enjoy the build.😇

Johnny

• Like 1

Mornin' all!

This could be interesting, although a pair of jugs would obviously be better than 1. Never mind. I have my seat at the front, let the heckling begin!

Ian

• Haha 3

Evening guys. Sorry for the lack of progress, I’ve been making tweaks to my me 262 that I thought was finished.

I have been thinking about the twin wasp.

this is the kit.

49597284782_ca96acc1e9_b.jpg

it’s pretty good really. needs wires and what not but my biggest thought is this.

49596533008_68f52ac8b7_b.jpg

From the side these top bits are longer than in reality and don’t quite look right. Now I can either cut run off and build new ones or leave them as it’s and add the extra knowing you can’t see it from that angle.

Here it is with the cowl on.

49597030461_95b736e2bd_b.jpg

And from on angle.

49596533023_a254c2407b_b.jpg

Any thoughts?  I’m torn really. The  262 is now 99.99% complete. I have a bit of a busy weekend with a 50th birthday party. And a fencing comp for the boy on Sunday. I’m hoping I get some done in between the craZy but who knows. 🤷

oh and this arrived.

49597284622_922681b5df_b.jpg

so I can at least hit the office.🦸‍♂️
no bench time tonight as I’m far too pooped after a super busy work week.  Oh and wine. 🍷 just a smidge😇.

Thanks for tagging along. It’ll hot up soon.

All the best.

Jont. 🤗

• Like 12

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Any thoughts?

I did a quick search and found that the P-47N mainly mounted the R-2800-57 engine, with later productions using the R-2800-73 or -77. I don't know how much to trust those info - as I said it was a quick search - anyway looking at pics of a-59 (couldn't find a -57), the top bits are, as you mentioned, quite different from the kit ones, but doesn't look too complicated to scratch build. Just my :2c: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Funny enough, I had this thing with my big Revell F4U-1A engine. Yep, I did up the kit's P&W motor! 

Those are the magnetos on the crankcase and you've got what I got. The fancy new post-war style. 

It's probably what is fitted to most of the restoration and flying warbirds now , but it is wrong for us. 

But the decision is yours.... it's about how much can be seen. 

I cut them off and scratched two smaller round ones. They should be egg shaped in plan view with the tapered end to the back, but like you say.... how much can you see? 

By the way, the Lockheed Ventura has TWO of these beasts bolted to the wings! 

Now that's some kind of aeroplane, eh?? 

😎‼️

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, giemme said:

I did a quick search and found that the P-47N mainly mounted the R-2800-57 engine, with later productions using the R-2800-73 or -77. I don't know how much to trust those info - as I said it was a quick search - anyway looking at pics of a-59 (couldn't find a -57), the top bits are, as you mentioned, quite different from the kit ones, but doesn't look too complicated to scratch build. Just my :2c: 

Ciao

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Funny enough, I had this thing with my big Revell F4U-1A engine. Yep, I did up the kit's P&W motor! 

Those are the magnetos on the crankcase and you've got what I got. The fancy new post-war style. 

It's probably what is fitted to most of the restoration and flying warbirds now , but it is wrong for us. 

But the decision is yours.... it's about how much can be seen. 

I cut them off and scratched two smaller round ones. They should be egg shaped in plan view with the tapered end to the back, but like you say.... how much can you see? 

By the way, the Lockheed Ventura has TWO of these beasts bolted to the wings! 

Now that's some kind of aeroplane, eh?? 

😎‼️

Thanks gents. That’s all the push I needed. Off with their heads. 🤩

• Like 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-2800_Engine_1.jpg

That should take you there. 

Yea, by the way and strictly speaking, these are P&W Double Wasps. 

The Twin Wasps are v similar and a little smaller. I'm going from memory now (and that's not a good thing...) they are 2 banks of 7 cylinders.. 

You know, your magnetos don't look too bad. The ones I had were way bigger than that and different shapes. 

Too late??? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 4:27 PM, rob Lyttle said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-2800_Engine_1.jpg

That should take you there. 

Yea, by the way and strictly speaking, these are P&W Double Wasps. 

The Twin Wasps are v similar and a little smaller. I'm going from memory now (and that's not a good thing...) they are 2 banks of 7 cylinders.. 

You know, your magnetos don't look too bad. The ones I had were way bigger than that and different shapes. 

Too late??? 

Thanks for the info. I had started unfortunately but I used modified kit parts so all good in the end. 

Good evening everyone. I thrust you all had a splendid weekend. I have been super busy. A friend “bond themed” 50th birthday party on Saturday night and a fencing company for the boy this morning.  
ouch. 🤭🤺.

He did rather well too.

49605913956_2cd4da06d6_b.jpg

“He’s the little one” he won that fight. 🤗

after all that and a well earned nap I managed some bench time. ❤️
first things first. Off with the bits. I decided to re use the kit parts as they were a pretty good shape.

49606162462_30d69339cb_b.jpg

Cut off they left a bit off a mess. 😫

not a problem really. 🙌😇

49605405208_2ffedebe96_b.jpg

There we go, all sorted. 🤩

You can see the tear drop shape I cut the magnetos in to in the background.

Here they are in place.

49605405788_a5a6eabab0_b.jpg

Looking good. 😊 keeping the good shape from the front.

49606162082_3063d908f5_b.jpg

I used some bent rod for the round bit. (Technical😂)

49605406463_235993bc8c_b.jpg

Looking good.

I used my punch to make some little bolts and what not.

49605405253_9209900ecb_b.jpg

I’m liking that. 😇

I’ll add the wiring with lead wire after she’s painted.

Seems like some of the picture red I have had a big hoop between the two sets of motors too. Does anyone know if that’s right to have that?

I made a hoop anyway. Exactly the same diameter as the inside of TET lid. 

49605914086_9bd74c0547_b.jpg

There it is look, in there. 😂.

well just before I finished I got ready for some office action.

49605912546_5a67a3d376_b.jpg

ooooh yeah!!!! 😇

a lot of that has to be scraped away although the kit spun my wheel thing looks better than the PE part so I think I’ll keep that. 🥰

The tube thing looked like I could improve it however so I made another from lead wire.

49606163362_9fae1dbbc9_b.jpg

Getting there.

Thanks for stopping by.

Take care and as always.

Happy Modeling.

Johnny. 🤺

• Like 13