Jump to content

The Mighty "JUG". P-47 N Thunderbolt by Academy 1/48


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great job on the decals Johnny 👍

 

When I built this kit mine went on ok initially then flaked off later. They were very crumbly. You have worked wonders with yours. Positioning of the fuselage stars n bars depends on whether the flap is open or shut. I seem to recall they are moulded open. The academy decal on mine came in two parts the smaller but went over the flap I  think.....

 

Looking good mate 😎

Thanks for the info. I thought that this was the case but seems odd they’re different lengths. 

55 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Academy decals yuk!!!

I with @GREG DESTEC, if I remember rightly there should be a separate decal for the flap.

 

Looking good sir.

 

Stay safe.

 

Simon.

Yes there are two, both different lengths. I’m guessing if you want to cut the flaps and set them in place you use the longer one.

8 minutes ago, giemme said:

Impressive decal job, Johnny :worthy:

 

I normally hate decals, but Academy's are the worst! So hat's off to you :thumbsup:

 

Ciao

Thanks G. They are a bit rubbish. Not the worst I’ve ever had mind.

1 minute ago, bbudde said:

Hell!! Academy decals worked????:drunk:

I know right. 🤯🤪🤩🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's right with the bars. The insignia was painted with doors closed. The inside of the duct was painted white and blue too, according to the star on the fuselage. But! If You are going to mount the tank You showed above under the wing of this girl - don't!! Far East never saw this kind of tanks. Use P-38-type tear drop shaped instead.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Johnny, this is looking pretty darn good ‼️

And it's good to have someone on board who knows the subject inside out and happy to share their knowledge 👍

I have a an old Monogram 1.48 from 1967 that I picked up at a show for peanuts, that I haven't looked in for a long time, and you've inspired me to lift the lid for some R&R between civil builds. 

An old Monogram is a heartlifting thing.! 

IMG_20200328_212615

 

IMG_20200328_210641

Just a little diversion for you, so you appreciate the fancy sophisticated nature of your modern kit, in comparison to 60s technology 

Wonder if MY decals will work.... 😕

 

Yours is looking great ‼️

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2020 at 19:56, greatgonzo said:

That's right with the bars. The insignia was painted with doors closed. The inside of the duct was painted white and blue too, according to the star on the fuselage. But! If You are going to mount the tank You showed above under the wing of this girl - don't!! Far East never saw this kind of tanks. Use P-38-type tear drop shaped instead.

Bloody knew it on the stars and bars, Thanks for the info. I’ll use the teardrop. So teardrop tank bombs and rockets are good to go?

Wow!! Looky that silver. Finish her off. She looks amazing already. 😍

Edited by Mike
Removing unnecessary photo quote
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’d agree with CED I have some of the cheapo white decal film and it’s extremely difficult to work with. Once printed needs a varnish or it will wrinkle up and be unusable and even at that results are very hit or miss.

Ok cool. Thanks for the heads up, 🤩

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Lovely Blue on the Jug Johnny.

 

"Beautiful plumage on the Norwegian Blue"

 

Stay safe.

 

Simon.

Thanks Simon. 🥳

 

 

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great result 👍

 

Inside the flap, I guess, would be aluminium or that yellow green interior that you have in the wheel wells I think. 

 

Incidentally have you heard Steve Earls album Copperhead Road? There's a track.On there called "Johnny Come Lately" which happens to mention "the P-47 is a pretty good ship" check it out! 🎸🎸🎸

 

cheers Greg 🍺

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

So teardrop tank bombs and rockets are good to go?

Yes. Yet I don't believe there were any long range ground support missions taken. And I don't think I have seen a pic of N with tanks and rockets, or bomb. The HVAR mounted with bombs - sure, even three of them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, greatgonzo said:

Yes. Yet I don't believe there were any long range ground support missions taken. And I don't think I have seen a pic of N with tanks and rockets, or bomb. The HVAR mounted with bombs - sure, even three of them.

Ok so rockets and three bombs. Sounds Explosive!! 😇😍🤪🤩

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great result 👍

 

Inside the flap, I guess, would be aluminium or that yellow green interior that you have in the wheel wells I think. 

 

Incidentally have you heard Steve Earls album Copperhead Road? There's a track.On there called "Johnny Come Lately" which happens to mention "the P-47 is a pretty good ship" check it out! 🎸🎸🎸

 

cheers Greg 🍺

Thanks for the info. I’ll give the song a listen. Sounds quite poignant. 😇

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

 

Looking good with paint and decals on, not far to go now!

 

    Roger

Thanks. Not too far. 😍

2 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

Let's stop here :).

 

 

Got it. 🙌

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving at a steady pace.

looking forward to the white plastic beast!

With Academy decals this.

49712954787_55179a22cb_b.jpg

is your friend. 🤩

little bits tidied up and gun holes drilled.

49712955067_3fa6c82293_b.jpg

Holes drilled for ze rockets also.

49712630266_9af482ec4c_b.jpg

Looks like I’ll not be needing this. 😂🤣

49712629971_c6e7207640_b.jpg

Looking rather geeky like this.

49712954857_1e59eb5fe4_b.jpg

Cowl fitted with intake.

49712095803_d23eb78e31_b.jpg

And on.

49712096128_a132910dc1_b.jpg

Looking smooth.

49712630371_92ed0c629b_b.jpg

Last parts glued and sanded and filled and and and.....

49712954822_5cdb854fa8_b.jpg

Primed.

49712096118_fd84e87e8a_b.jpg

Those wheels are splendid. 😇🙌

I need to make dinner so. Down stairs for a bit.

Hope you are keeping well.

Thanks for dropping by and all the help.

Every day is indeed a school day. 👨‍🎓

 

Johnny. 👨‍🎨

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very late to the party, but never too late for a good jug. Which is what this is looking like! 

While we're busy with the N version - I read they had arm rests for the pilots on long range missions, anyone know what those look like? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2020 at 00:29, The Spadgent said:

Wow!! Looky that silver. Finish her off. She looks amazing already. 😍

I'm on it! 

Can't put the darn thing DOWN ‼️😎

Had to scratch one inner u/c door and one outer and I'll have to share a 4blade prop, but my real snag is no screen or canopy 😢

Wondering if I can clone one.... I have a Hobbyboss easy build Bubble top Jug to copy, and I've already made a Balsa plug. 

I just need to step into the unknown ☢️😲⚠️🔮

The info you have gleaned on here along the way has been very useful reference material. 

She might warrant an RFI if I get over the line 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

I haven't noticed that before. You have two top engine flaps closed. It was true for F4Us for a while but never for Thunderbolt. Never.

Let’s just say very slightly open eh. 😯

nothing I can do now. I was always going to do something not quite right. 🥳🤩

they were in the position of the kit. I thought that might be right, 🤣

9 hours ago, coolhand said:

Hi,

Looking great so far. I have the 'nose art' version of the same kit, so I have been following with interest.

 

Andy

Great sounding decals. Glad to be of service sir. 😇

14 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm on it! 

Can't put the darn thing DOWN ‼️😎

Had to scratch one inner u/c door and one outer and I'll have to share a 4blade prop, but my real snag is no screen or canopy 😢

Wondering if I can clone one.... I have a Hobbyboss easy build Bubble top Jug to copy, and I've already made a Balsa plug. 

I just need to step into the unknown ☢️😲⚠️🔮

The info you have gleaned on here along the way has been very useful reference material. 

She might warrant an RFI if I get over the line 👍

Oooooh. Can I follow?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Can I follow?

No build thread going on with this'un. 

Just recreational...... (so what's the rest of the plastic-bashing then....?? 🤔

Bit of R&R and progression with something I started, longtime. 

I have saved up a bunch of rocket projectiles that I might have a go at mounting . 

I want to see how yours go first. 

How many and where..... 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

No build thread going on with this'un. 

Just recreational...... (so what's the rest of the plastic-bashing then....?? 🤔

Bit of R&R and progression with something I started, longtime. 

I have saved up a bunch of rocket projectiles that I might have a go at mounting . 

I want to see how yours go first. 

How many and where..... 

 

Fair enough. As for things that go boom. There have been a few changes over the past few days as GG has let me know what goes where. So it’s going to be. Three bombs. Big uns. Two on the wings, one in the middle. And all the rockets. Aaaaaaallllll of themmmmmm. 🤪🤪🤪😯😯😯😀😀😀

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening you lot, hope you’re all keeping well during the lockdown. 
after work and dinner I managed a little more on the Jug. 😇

took a few shots yesterday as I’d put a gloss coat over the decals.

49717802611_1a092fc1ae_b.jpg

Then took a parting shot of the bench in a silent moment.

49718117352_3fa36c1ecf_b.jpg

*Note. The tea horn seldom works. 🤣

The gloss was left to dry.

Then this happened.

49718117467_5541119782_b.jpg

Yessssss. Now I don’t particularly care how or what I’m doing this. 🤗

It’s only subtle when removed but it’s there.

49717802396_f42efec036_b.jpg

There are a few boots around the decals that I knocked back after seeing the pics.

The little bits and bobs really pop now.

49717802456_f202fc6f1e_b.jpg

Took this one by accident and loved it. 😍

49717265058_db0d40c8fd_b.jpg

Not wanting to do any paint work I added the break lines to the UC.

49717802391_cfa9ed1d5b_b.jpg

Got the mini Dexter out.

49717802261_4b4b94502c_b.jpg

Drilled some holes and used a snipped bit of paper clip for strength.

49717265263_b9ce648d7b_b.jpg

popped a spot of paint on and marked a point where to drill on the hub.

49717802351_a83218124a_b.jpg

Then drilled and glued. 🤗

Two down. Two to go. 
Thanks for dropping by.

by the way to those who might know. I’m planning on Olive drab bombs with white rockets. Does that seem right. ?

 

Thanks for dropping by.

Take care Y’all.

 

Johnny. 🙌

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Fair enough. As for things that go boom...... Three bombs. Big uns. Two on the wings, one in the middle. And all the rockets. Aaaaaaallllll of themmmmmm. 🤪🤪🤪😯😯😯😀😀😀

A flying arsenal....... Look out! 

It's remarkable how much tonnage these machines could get airborne. 

Just been having a look at the walkaround section P47 examples. 

Interesting stuff, but it's always dangerous to look TOO hard at the details, isn't it? 👀

 

Later

Aha! 

Just what I need..... 

49717802456_f202fc6f1e_b.jpg

5 aside! 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...