The Mighty "JUG". P-47 N Thunderbolt by Academy 1/48

1 hour ago, greatgonzo said:

I reckon You've answered Your rear fuselage question yourself. Well done!

The engine flaps are not a success though. The spaces  between them are far to big.  I'll try to pin the very frame this kit is presenting even if the inbox picture is not very helpful ;). Maybe I manage to create some info on my own... .

I see what you mean. I should be able to fix this.

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work on the S/C area Johnny, that extra thin piece of plastic card saved a lot of hassle.

Great job done on the engine cowling too.

Lights look sweet, will nick that idea from you mate LOL.

Simon.

Thanks Kid. Nick away. Just don’t Knick the bits I get wrong. 😱🤣

• Like 2

Moving on it looks like the prop is wrong on this kit.

49661869581_64e7b5aafa_b.jpg

the lower bit looks right but I think the ends are wrong.

49662172442_3222057647_b.jpg

More paddle.

I have these ends spare.

49662148547_6b1b2a5dff_b.jpg

They look about right? Luckily I have two. I could Frankenstein the two to make one correct one. Thoughts?

• Like 3

Lower part of the prop is wrong too. It is just another screw, 'asymmetrical' paddle blade. It was used on P-47N but not on Yours. So you are going in the right direction. I think, with a little filing the blade root will be OK.

It seems You are all right with general configuration of the model compared to real 'Gerry'.

• Thanks 1

Nice work so far!

An earlier schematic referred to an "exhaust driven supercharger". I think that makes it a turbocharger, since the difference between the two is that a supercharger is crankshaft driven and a turbocharger is exhaust driven.

As for the prop tips, a little Mr Dissolved Putty, or grafted plastic card will resolve that.

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

Lower part of the prop is wrong too. It is just another screw, 'asymmetrical' paddle blade. It was used on P-47N but not on Yours. So you are going in the right direction. I think, with a little filing the blade root will be OK.

It seems You are all right with general configuration of the model compared to real 'Gerry'.

I can’t find any ref for “Gery” at all that’s not a model kit. I’ve seen props on an N that are just like the kit one and some with the same bottom as the kit one but a top like the replacement.

I’m planning on cutting off the replacement paddles and sticking them to the top part of the lower portion of the kit ones. Would that be ok you think? I can’t see where the kit lower

part is wrong?  Sorry to be a pain.

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice work so far!

An earlier schematic referred to an "exhaust driven supercharger". I think that makes it a turbocharger, since the difference between the two is that a supercharger is crankshaft driven and a turbocharger is exhaust driven.

As for the prop tips, a little Mr Dissolved Putty, or grafted plastic card will resolve that.

Ian

Thanks Ian. You might be right. 😇

14 minutes ago, greatgonzo said:

It's OK. There are many types of superchargers. This one is an exhaust driven one. Turbine in this case, but still a supercharger.

Thanks again. All this help is invaluable. 🤩

• Like 1

Evening Britmodellers, I hope you’re all having a lovely weekend.

cor, today has been a doosie! 
More progress on this big bird.

You do actually get to see quite a bit of the engine so all that work is really worth it.

49663181406_24013c0a7a_b.jpg

This is before I fixed the fins. 🤩

The tail section got added and some PPP added to sort out the pin marks.

49662645728_961d144212_b.jpg

There is one gun already fitted to the gun bay so I drilled it to make it a little better.

49662645158_8a34f331d9_b.jpg

Far right. 😍 ( not my political view ) 😉

The bit that goes under the engine ( intake ) ? Got some mesh added from an old tea bag.

49663180926_6282c95a56_b.jpg

It was about at this point I noticed the post about the flaps on the cowl having too big gaps.

this was fixed with feet fine plastic strips.

49663465452_771fbb8da0_b.jpg

Notice the @corsaircorp tm Method.

49663180921_d754e25b5a_b.jpg

that got cut back and cleaned up. ( photo in the last post ) .

The wings got popped on.

49662645748_3dcb7eea36_b.jpg

Using Lego to get the right line.

49663465282_cb7bdb7953_b.jpg

The fit is pretty good.

After that had dried the tails went on.

49663465627_1cc950a590_b.jpg

Decided to keep the wing flaps straight but I’ll dip the tail ones a little.

PPP on the wing roots.

49662645538_9a5cde0be2_b.jpg

Underside.

49662645598_2bde800fff_b.jpg

And the tail.

49662645548_915119dcb1_b.jpg

She’s really coming together now. 

49663465482_b135f7fab8_b.jpg

😇😇😇😇 

That’s yer lot.

Thank you for taking an interest and for helping out it’s all appreciated.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. 🥳

• Like 22

36 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

With this virus floating around,

Hello Simon, Somewhat knocked me out like a  bad cold, flu or whatever on last Wednesday morning. Have fun with it now, but no fever, just a running nose and a wobbling head (dicke Birne/dicker Kopf). So I guess nothing serious so far But I tell myself ervery morning, when I wake up coughing. "Fick dich; du kleine Arschmade (A little killer worm that eats your a*s); Du bekommst mich nicht!!!!! Nicht jetzt und nicht hier." And that helps for the cure for sure. It's also a mental thing, I guess at some point.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Simon, Somewhat knocked me out like a  bad cold, flu or whatever on last Wednesday morning. Have fun with it now, but no fever, just a running nose and a wobbling head (dicke Birne/dicker Kopf). So I guess nothing serious so far But I tell myself ervery morning, when I wake up coughing. "Fick dich; du kleine Arschmade (A little killer worm that eats your a*s); Du bekommst mich nicht!!!!! Nicht jetzt und nicht hier." And that helps for the cure for sure. It's also a mental thing, I guess at some point.

Cheers Benedikt

We have been lucky for now but for how long though.

We hope that you fully get over this mate.

Simon and Rose.

• Like 4

Hello Dear Spad !

Sorry, I'm a bit late on this wonderfull build...

One point that has driven me mad is the Malditos 😡 panels that stand proud all over the wing and fuselage...

They don't on the real thing, flush skin it is. That's where I spend the most of my building time 

You did a real great job with the turbocharger !!

If my memory did'nt fail the first serie still have the early Pratt with the ogival crankcase..

Subsequent series used the late Pratt. So, your pratt is all right !!

Glad if my madness has helped !!

Can't wait to see it finished !!

If you elect to do Gerry, the markings are not yellow but true blue... One more academy mistake...

Sincerely !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, it looks like an airplane now! As you found out, the location of the turbo sure made for a lot of intake piping. Wonder how they kept it all sealed to avoid losing boost? 

Carry on then, and I hope you avoid the crud. In my little corner of America, they’ve just opted to ask bars and restaurants to close tonight and only open for carry out. Wonder what the ‘to-go’ pints look like?

I travel for work frequently for meetings, not looking forward to that coming up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

If my memory did'nt fail the first serie still have the early Pratt with the ogival crankcase.

It did fail. The memory. N was C series straight. Earlier N models did use R-2800-57 engines which featured old style ignition configuration with central magneto an two distributors  flanking it. Just as we see presented in this build. The items were different but construction stands. Gerry, being N-5 carried -73 engine with GE ignition: two 'turtle' distributors with integrated magnetos. No magneto in the middle. Just to make it clear - the engine in the model is supposed to be good enough, so good enough it is.

Yet You are dead right on the colour issue. 456th FS did use blue for the tails and cowlings, not yellow.

Here is asymmetrical CE Paddle Blade. It is a D-model prop, a little bit different from the N one, but the shape idea is visible. In my opinion kit prop aims to be asymmetric. I don't remember seeing pictures of Gerry either, but a wartime N driven by asymmetric blades is yet to be discovered. The symmetric propeller pic is to be seen above, so it should be not difficult to make a decision how to proceed.

spacer.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, one thing is for sure Johnny.

With this virus floating around, there could be a lot of builds progressing at the speed of yours.

All looking good from here mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. We definitely have the right hobby. 🥳

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

Coming along very nicely!!

Thank you sir.

22 hours ago, Andwil said:

That’s a big beast in 1/48!

AW

It is indeed.

21 hours ago, giemme said:

She definitely is a big beast, Johnny! :clap:Coming along beautifully :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. 🤩

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Spad !

Sorry, I'm a bit late on this wonderfull build...

One point that has driven me mad is the Malditos 😡 panels that stand proud all over the wing and fuselage...

They don't on the real thing, flush skin it is. That's where I spend the most of my building time 

You did a real great job with the turbocharger !!

If my memory did'nt fail the first serie still have the early Pratt with the ogival crankcase..

Subsequent series used the late Pratt. So, your pratt is all right !!

Glad if my madness has helped !!

Can't wait to see it finished !!

If you elect to do Gerry, the markings are not yellow but true blue... One more academy mistake...

Sincerely !!

CC

Thanks CC your help is much appreciated.

is it the same blue that I’ve seen mustangs painted? To be fair The main reason I saw this kit in the first place was the yellow.  Might find another scheme that’s yellow that I can still use these decals. 

17 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Hey, it looks like an airplane now! As you found out, the location of the turbo sure made for a lot of intake piping. Wonder how they kept it all sealed to avoid losing boost? 

Carry on then, and I hope you avoid the crud. In my little corner of America, they’ve just opted to ask bars and restaurants to close tonight and only open for carry out. Wonder what the ‘to-go’ pints look like?

I travel for work frequently for meetings, not looking forward to that coming up.

Thanks . Yes the Covid is hotting up over here. Closing bars and theatres. I think staying in is the new going out. 🦠

15 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

It did fail. The memory. N was C series straight. Earlier N models did use R-2800-57 engines which featured old style ignition configuration with central magneto an two distributors  flanking it. Just as we see presented in this build. The items were different but construction stands. Gerry, being N-5 carried -73 engine with GE ignition: two 'turtle' distributors with integrated magnetos. No magneto in the middle. Just to make it clear - the engine in the model is supposed to be good enough, so good enough it is.

Yet You are dead right on the colour issue. 456th FS did use blue for the tails and cowlings, not yellow.

Here is asymmetrical CE Paddle Blade. It is a D-model prop, a little bit different from the N one, but the shape idea is visible. In my opinion kit prop aims to be asymmetric. I don't remember seeing pictures of Gerry either, but a wartime N driven by asymmetric blades is yet to be discovered. The symmetric propeller pic is to be seen above, so it should be not difficult to make a decision how to proceed.

spacer.png

Thanks for the info on the props. And the colour. 😭😭😭 I really need this to be yellow. I might just sod off accuracy for fun. 🤩 Im going to go and look for an alternative scheme. 🤩🤩🤩
*******time passes********

ok is the paint scheme the same just blue?  I’ve seen a blue that look pretty good actually. The one I saw just had blue tail tips. Would Gerry have a full blue tail?

Johnny blue

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Gerry would have a blue tail. If You want yellow, You need to find A/C with side number in 600 range. 413th FS markings were the same, but yellow, hence the kit mistake. There was famous ETO Mustang ace Urban Drew (with jet kills under his belt) serving in 413th. Plane was called Detroit Miss II IIRC, and was partly yellow of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks once again @greatgonzo blue it will be. A little more tonight as there is a lot of staying in going on.

I started on the props. I did one blade, it’s re enforced with metal rod. Needs a spot of filler on the join when dry and I’ll sand that line off. Look ok? 

49668023832_0045d45685_b.jpg

I also tested the decals on a mule. It exploded on me so I’ll have to watch that but micro sol made it conform well. Which Is nice. 🤩

49667197518_f09855c281_b.jpg

The lights were masked.

49667197513_fb9c31c831_b.jpg

I also noticed that the SC was a little wrong after looking at CC’s build again so I fixed that.

49667206768_923b120eac_b.jpg

The bomb and fuel pylons were added.

49667197393_1d47ea7a1a_b.jpg 49667740331_7a2f6e7200_b.jpg

the Office got masked.

49667749731_39e40b2deb_b.jpg

And I fitted the tail flaps at a slight angle.

49667197443_4f58758a02_b.jpg

Just before adding the hinge parts with bits of micro strip.

49667740396_3a4decb3df_b.jpg

I’m pretty much ready for paint. 😍

Thankyou for stopping by. Take care you lot. It’s getting serious out there.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 🙌

• Like 12

Ah !! Now the magic is starting !! Paint !! Hooray !!

True blue is the one here on the pic

IMG_20200313_103103

Xtracolor X152 but also available in the Colourcoats range

Congrats !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1