The Mighty "JUG". P-47 N Thunderbolt by Academy 1/48

6 hours ago, hendie said:

love that engine Johnny - it's a real work of art

Coming from you that’s a real compliment. Thank you sir. 🙌

5 hours ago, billn53 said:
6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

49656209158_4e1707a40d_b.jpg

That’s a nifty punch set you have. Who made it, and where might I get one?
Thanks!

Ced beat me too it. Yes it’s a proper good piece of kit. I really want the BIG punch set too, but I hadn’t found a need for it....... yet.

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Yep, engine looks fantastic, John

Thanks. I’ve missed a few bits and bobs. I’ll fix that today. 🙌

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

Niiiiice work Johnny - that engine's amazing :) 

RP Toolz Bill - not the cheapest of tools but, IMHO, worth the investment.

Their website shop is here but, I guess, there will be a supplier local to you?

Just seen their new 'Deluxe Wooden Storage Boxes' - out of stock, rats.

I want one…

Thanks Mr B.

Do you have the large punch set? And is it as useful as the little one?

Johnny

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Do you have the large punch set? And is it as useful as the little one?

I do Johnny, of course!

It is as good as the small one, but do you need one? Can't say…

It's just that, one day, you'll need some discs larger than 2mm and then…

Worth putting on the birthday / Christmas / treat yourself list :) 

BTW I tracked down some boxes on eBay - in the UK - but better be quick, only one left…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job on the engine. Creative! Yet You still miss half of the ignition wires and have issues with the ignition elements. You are also making a common mistake not saying at the start what precise aircraft You are going to build (or is it me being blind?). I mean, that would be a mistake if You hoped for some information according to the construction and finish of the original bird. It is only now I can tell Your P-47 is N-5. But should she be? They differ through the versions and some of the elements are easy to spot even on first sight.

I know I am a bit touchy when it comes to Thunderbolts, but also ready to shut up when suggested to. :)

Edited by greatgonzo
  • Thanks 1

Nice set. But if you’re on a budget you can get metal punches off eBay for very small money I have three sets covering 1mm up to about 25mm and I think they came to less than a tenner including postage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

making a common mistake not saying at the start what precise aircraft You are going to build

Mistake.....?? 

Or just a different state of mind? 

Like a different attitude to model building..... 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your choice. I specified when a mistake would be one, didn't I?   On the other hand I see often situations  when painting is chosen after the model is almost complete. And the painting is often in conflict with construction details. I admit, I don't understand this attitude  to model building but who cares what gonzo understands?! ;)

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Nice set. But if you’re on a budget you can get metal punches off eBay for very small money I have three sets covering 1mm up to about 25mm and I think they came to less than a tenner including postage. 

True. I have the cheaper ones but they were a bit heavy handed for what I was after. These are amazing. Far too expensive but amazing regardless.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I do Johnny, of course!

It is as good as the small one, but do you need one? Can't say…

It's just that, one day, you'll need some discs larger than 2mm and then…

Worth putting on the birthday / Christmas / treat yourself list :) 

BTW I tracked down some boxes on eBay - in the UK - but better be quick, only one left…

On the list. ☺️
good luck with the box.

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent job all round, Johnny :clap:

The engine is now beautiful and correct :thumbsup:

Ciao

Correct ish now. 😱 but good enough for me. 

4 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

Excellent job on the engine. Creative! Yet You still miss half of the ignition wires and have issues with the ignition elements. You are also making a common mistake not saying at the start what precise aircraft You are going to build (or is it me being blind?). I mean, that would be a mistake if You hoped for some information according to the construction and finish of the original bird. It is only now I can tell Your P-47 is N-5. But should she be? They differ through the versions and some of the elements are easy to spot even on first sight.

I know I am a bit touchy when it comes to Thunderbolts, but also ready to shut up when suggested to. :)

Just got you I’ve made some changes.

It’s not a mistake I just didn’t realise it was relevant. I don’t really know about aeroplanes until I build them. As you read from this thread the only reason I’m building this is because I enjoyed playing a video game in the late 80s. I’ll amend the title to suit. Thanks for your info. I’m only going to add so much as it’s a model but anything else you think I should know about please let me know. Maybe before I do it. 😇😅 I do love learning as I go. 😍

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work there Johnny, looking smart.

The flaps around the end of the cowling can be posed ope, but I would check for reference.

Simon.

Thanks Simon I’ll check. @greatgonzo any info on the cowl flaps?

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Mistake.....?? 

Or just a different state of mind? 

Like a different attitude to model building..... 😎

Deffo a different state of mind. 🤪🤩

• Like 3

A bit of a change to the engine. 
some extra nuts and plates that I missed.

49658502556_be88b3eb66_b.jpg

And all the extra wires

49657961063_689e123747_b.jpg

they probably don’t go exactly to the right place and while we’re here it won’t make the prop go around either but it’ll look ok under that meaty cowl. 🥳

Thanks guys for all the info.

more later with some special next build news. 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Maybe before I do it.

Would be swell, wouldn't it? Well, I don't even know how to do it. I don't know what bird are You building, I don't know the kit, don't know how deep are You going to dig into detail and where You place Your limits of corrections. I will gladly answer a question, if I manage that, or react to what I see. And in the end there is no way I can force You to do anything, so it would be cool anyway. :)

The engine flaps should be closed in the parking mode but it was possible to have then open, so it is up to You and Your preferences.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, greatgonzo said:

Well, I don't even know how to do it. I don't know what bird are You building, I don't know the kit

It’s this one.

The Mighty "JUG". P-47 N Thunderbolt by Academy 1/48

as stated in the title.

Here’s the pic from my first post.

49579641508_89e57c0ff7_b.jpg

There is only one set of decals so I’m building the one in the box.

No worries I’m not asking for all your info.

I try and make things as accurate as I can but obvs there is only do much I can do. 
many help is good help. Knowing about the flaps is good. Maybe if you are tagging along I can pick your brains before I leap into the unknown.

😇

John

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, greatgonzo said:

The engine flaps should be closed in the parking mode but it was possible to have then open, so it is up to You and Your preferences.

That was the normal procedure, although over time they all did not lie flush , so to speak.

You could just define them better with some careful scribing I suppose.

Also , a dark wash too.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

There is only one set of decals so I’m building the one in the box.

Good luck with the decals. I once used them (ehm, I tried to use Academy decals on a F-16 - not sucsessfful at all).

Cheers

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Good luck with the decals. I once used them (ehm, I tried to use Academy decals on a F-16 - not sucsessfful at all).

Cheers

Oh god yes. My lightning was Academy. The decals were.THICK!!!!  I have some Daco strong. I’ll do a test. 😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greatgonzo said:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

That was the normal procedure, although over time they all did not lie flush , so to speak.

I think I’ll cut them or add plastic add to make them a little less flush. 😇

Thanks for your help guys. 

@greatgonzo any more info on that hole before the tail wheel? I was going to fill that as I saw someone else doing that in a previous build. 

J

• Like 3

Evening you lot. A few backward steps but I’m happy that this odd looking more like what it should now thanks to @greatgonzo . 
The engine now looks like this.

49659486351_b66f9792e6_b.jpg

And that’s how it’s going to go in. I can’t believe that they got the engine wrong in the kit. cRaZy but hey now we all know right. 🤩 “Every day’s a school day”👨‍🎓

The tail got chopped. Don’t worry I have a plan for the little hinge bits. 👨‍🔧

49659764017_7c86b890c0_b.jpg

The wing light holes need drilling out to fit the clear parts.

49658945373_f89b45f68a_b.jpg

I taped some quiche foil on the inner wing for reflectivity.

49659486326_273a78d07c_b.jpg

I did a similar thing on the other side but made a little hat out of quiche foil instead.

49658945388_105e25cbec_b.jpg

This gives a 3D effect for the light.

Glued on with Krystal Klear.

49658945353_6cab41e205_b.jpg

And tother side.

49659486341_afc36ce6b9_b.jpg

Nice!! At this point dinner was on the horizon. (Cooking of) so I finished up.

Before I sign off however I did receive a package yesterday from @rob Lyttle....

it was ......don. Don donnnnnnnnnn.

this. 

49657973463_c633f4bef0_b.jpg

🍭🍡 To be honest the kids were totally disappointed that it wasn’t 3kg of jellies from the “King of confectionary” 🤣

Inside was infact this little beauty.

49657973513_ae78734e64_b.jpg

A metric flip tonne of plasticky goodness.

It was kindly passed on to me from Rob for far less than it’s going for around the web.

Totally in his gratitude this will be my next build. I’m guessing you all know what it is? 🤗 Thanks also to @hendie for piquing my interest in this lovely Jet. ❤️

Pondering what to do about these though. 

49657973458_7b2b8a5617_b.jpg

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Hope you’re all having a smashing weekend. Stay safe People. 

Johnny. 

ps. Thanks Rob. 🤗🤗🤗

• Like 10

Johnny this is looking epic as all your builds do! I need to get my p47 in the 1/72 scale started (darn my obsessions with raf and Luftwaffe). Glad you found that “secret” lms too! Not been there (or parabellum) yet. But I’ve heard good things 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m guessing you all know what it is?

🙋‍♂️Me me meee!! 

Sir, I know, I know....!! 😊

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Pondering what to do about these though. 

Stick the wee men on. 

Sorted....... 👍😎

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

🙋‍♂️Me me meee!! 

Sir, I know, I know....!! 😊

Stick the wee men on. 

Sorted....... 👍😎

🥰🥰 Sooon my child soooon. 🤪

I could never put the men in. Where’s the fun in that. 🤪 there are some resin seats but they would cost the earth and I can’t find any in the uk. So I’ll take the challenge of MB Mk seats. 😍 might get some extra decals mind to make a stipulation Suez one. 🐝

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Jont - I love that little hat light, very effective :) 

Thanks Mr B. I was trying to make a dome shape but couldn’t, seemed like the next best option. 🤩

• Like 1

Due to a contagious Virus ripping through the planet I’m spending the day in 🦠. That and it’s raining. 🌧.  Perfect for some a Thunderbolt action.🤗

Searching for other builds of this kit last night I found one by our very own @corsaircorp and as it happens his brilliant build answered pretty much all of my questions.  Had I seen this earlier I wouldn’t have tripped up on the engine. 🤔

So the rear vent thing housed the supercharger I think.

49661662897_464014213c_b.jpg

Cc’s build used an old lighting one. My lightning build had resin super chargers so I had spares too. ❤️

49661753432_3083f83a04_b.jpg

it really won’t fit in that slot however, so 

out with the axe. 🪓

Eventually we’re in.

49661383821_c79808e893_b.jpg

It needs pushing back but you get the idea.  😫 Word to the wise, paint the internals off the vents before closing up. 
aaaaaaaany way the SC got painted and a spot of silver added.

49661383816_5742ee18ee_b.jpg

then dropping Ito the slot.

49661753347_af643a78b3_b.jpg

you don’t really see much but it all helps right. 🤩

I capped off the massive hole with some card then instead of sanding I stuck a wafferrrr thin bit of card on top.

49661385066_16055fdcef_b.jpg

While that all dried I hit the wings.

lights painted from the inside.

49661664987_59f2463e13_b.jpg 49661472621_d29fa52714_b.jpg

Nice!!! These then got glued and the gun bays added. (No guns yet)

49660844073_3a5c5dd267_b.jpg

Also I’d noticed that every seat I say was set back against the head rest. Mine wasn’t. 😖

Now however it is.

49661664982_a84e5cb066_b.jpg

🤩 

Next I had a plan for the cowl. to cut the lines where the flaps were thin ‘em down and wobble them a bit to make them more prominent. I noticed that @corsaircorp had done exactly what I’d planned so I must have seen this on another one of his many builds so I’ll put this technique down to him. 🤛👍

49660932093_8393f7f75a_b.jpg

duely wibbled.  Small fins were also added to the inside.

49661665012_f10ae7caec_b.jpg

Subtle but that’s what I’m after. 
Then glued.

49661385071_580eb222ae_b.jpg

All that needs to dry for a bit so I’ll rustle up some breakfast for every one, make a post on BM and then get back to it.  🤩❤️ Before I did that I checked the canopy as CC had fit issues.

49661753337_5da53758b3_b.jpg

must have been that resin Office CC.

I haven’t fitted the sight yet but it all looks pretty good actually. 

Thank you for dropping by. I’m headed back to the Frey so more updatage laterzzzz. Stay Frosty.

Johnny. 🥳

• Like 9

I reckon You've answered Your rear fuselage question yourself. Well done!

The engine flaps are not a success though. The spaces  between them are far to big.  I'll try to pin the very frame this kit is presenting even if the inbox picture is not very helpful ;). Maybe I manage to create some info on my own... .

• Thanks 1

Nice work on the S/C area Johnny, that extra thin piece of plastic card saved a lot of hassle.

Great job done on the engine cowling too.

Lights look sweet, will nick that idea from you mate LOL.

Simon.

• Thanks 1