The Mighty "JUG". P-47 N Thunderbolt by Academy 1/48

Good evening you lot.

A damp night mens a night at the bench. 🤩 following on from the weekend I’d got paint on the engine and all that was needed was to glue on all those wires. 😱

eventually it al came together.

49642065382_5ab03b00f6_b.jpg 49641283903_40ac73c310_b.jpg

Tried to get things roughly in the right place. If she’s not 100% accurate I’m happy regardless. 

49641806471_24d14fd5d2_b.jpg

I’m not going to bother with the popping at the other end as you’ll never in your life see it. 🤩🤓

Next up it looks like everything comes together quite quickly. 
wings.

49641791686_c80b48af48_b.jpg

I’m not opening up the panels so these bits can stay shut. 
she slots together well on a dry run.

49641791751_3ac836ce2f_b.jpg

The belly looks good as do the wells.

49642080167_9d4389afb1_b.jpg

However I’m not happy here.

49641806416_33568b3052_b.jpg

That moulded detail looks less than ideal.

Time for drills.

I’ll open it up I thought.... 

49641268603_491faaaec7_b.jpg

Have I learned nothing over the last few years. 😳😢

49642065342_e2000f151a_b.jpg

After about 40 minutes of various files, blades, TET I got here.... terrible. 😤😫😩 too thick, too round and too awful. Right off with the lot.... I didn’t actually get a pick of the BIG hole but I basically chopped the vents off and made new thin ones from Plasticard.

49642080157_9aabbae559_b.jpg

And from the other side.

49641268678_fc7def445a_b.jpg

Better. 🤓 I still need to cut a disk for the other section but my eyes are going bandy. 🤤 So it’s all finished for the night.

shouldnt take too long to do the other side now I have a plan.

🤗🤗🤩🤩

oh and because of @hendie’s Brilliant venom build i’ve been looking for a suitable kit. Seems there aren’t many. 😔 I tried to get a classic airframes one on the bay last night but it went for nearly £60. Too much for me, so checking other versions I settled for this one.

49641283928_2bef450788_b.jpg

I’m aware of the accuracy problems but this one has yellow stripes. This makes up for a lot in my book. 🤩

not only did I find it at a good price but I found a new LMS. “Mr Models” just outside of Brum and would you belive on my journey home. 😎😎😎 What a treasure trove. I only spent five mins picking up the kit but I’ll be back when I have more time. ❤️👍🤗🙌

Any hoo. Poopped so bed fer me.😴😴😴

hope you’re enjoying the progress. More soon.

Johnny. 🧐

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

but this one has yellow stripes. This makes up for a lot in my book. 🤩

😊You're a sucker for a bit of SPARKLE, Johnny! Some builders just worry about which Grey to use! 

I'm with you 😎‼️

Great scratch vents. 

You know the big Venom by Matchbox etc in 1.32 scale?? 

I've got one in a bag, but I'm really veering towards civil stuff now and I can't see me ever building it. 

Just saying, as I know you sometimes like to go big..... 👍

• Like 1

Looking good Johnny, great pit, excellent engine & top notch vents, you're on a roll mate. :)  Even though it's not my scale I still enjoy watching the creative process at work so I can decide which bits not to bother with when I attack a smaller one. ;) :D Looking at some online instructions for this, I'm pleased to see the duct set up that lives under the engine within the cowl is far far better than the poor effort in their 1/72 kit, you're good to go there I reckon. Sorry, a hobby horse of mine. <_< 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

😊You're a sucker for a bit of SPARKLE, Johnny! Some builders just worry about which Grey to use! 

I'm with you 😎‼️

Great scratch vents. 

You know the big Venom by Matchbox etc in 1.32 scale?? 

I've got one in a bag, but I'm really veering towards civil stuff now and I can't see me ever building it. 

Just saying, as I know you sometimes like to go big..... 👍

Thanks Rob. Yes anything with a bit of  pizzazz and I’m drawn in. 🤗💃🕺 I noticed the Revell kit which I believe is the Matchbox one in a different guise 🦹‍♂️Would be great to add to old kits, you know me well. 😇 I tried to get it off a chap on eBay but he wanted too much.  Alas. What did you want for your one?  Ps. I saw the “Glencoe” kit. I love A line from one review talking about the cockpit part that didn’t exist and the canopy that looked like a piece of broken bottle. 🤣 (ouch)

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Johnny, great pit, excellent engine & top notch vents, you're on a roll mate. :)  Even though it's not my scale I still enjoy watching the creative process at work so I can decide which bits not to bother with when I attack a smaller one. ;) :D Looking at some online instructions for this, I'm pleased to see the duct set up that lives under the engine within the cowl is far far better than the poor effort in their 1/72 kit, you're good to go there I reckon. Sorry, a hobby horse of mine. <_< 

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Ha. I had a bit of a wobble when I saw where the ducting goes. But I did a dry fit with the new bulkier engine and it fits just fine. (Phew) Thanks for the deal of approval. Glad you’re enjoying the build so far. 🤩

4 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Top job on the engine, Johnny! One to be proud of for sure. 

Thank you sir.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Beautiful engine Johnny and good job on the vents :)

Looking forward to seeing those hard points loaded!

Tell me ‘bout it. There are loads of sticky on bits. 😎😎😎🤪🤪🤪😍😍😍

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3

The power plant looks swell Johnny.

I like those vents, great move there sir.

Those gun bays, It could be advisable to check the fit of the covers before joining the wing halves together, mine was a pig to say the least.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent job on the engine, Johnny! :clap: 

Good choice on the scratch built vents, they look way better! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Not so much a choice after I made such a pigs ear of it. 😱 But Thankyou. 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

The power plant looks swell Johnny.

I like those vents, great move there sir.

Those gun bays, It could be advisable to check the fit of the covers before joining the wing halves together, mine was a pig to say the least.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. I’ll plug before I glue. Thanks for the heads up. 🙌

• Like 3

On 3/9/2020 at 8:13 PM, The Spadgent said:

oh and because of @hendie’s Brilliant venom build i’ve been looking for a suitable kit. Seems there aren’t many. 😔 I tried to get a classic airframes one on the bay last night but it went for nearly £60. Too much for me, so checking other versions I settled for this one.

I was lucky Johnny - I watched Ebay for a long time and eventually got both the Vampire and the Venom for just over $60 shipping included - from Japan!

You're right though most of them will go for upwards of $60 or $70 each so I really got a bargain that time.

That engine looks amazing, and your home brewed vents look way better than the originals so maybe it's better that you didn't quite make it on the first attempt

• Thanks 1

I hate to be bearer of bad news, so please, don't shoot the messenger. And they are bad only if You cared :). Your job on engine is very good but You have modelled a R-2800 for early -D Thunderbolts. It is B - series with early ignition type. You need C-series which are a bit different and to be careful with ignition parts- these being always an issue with Double Wasp engines The terminology is a little mixed in this tread but I think the magneto/distributor story is for some other occasion. And half of the sparks are in want of their wires... hmmm, I'll just stop here.

You've made a lot of great modelling job here. I admire that.

Oh, the rear ventilation is not a ventilation at all. Be careful there. It is just fixed deflector separating the ventilation exit from engine exhaust with firm surface skin under it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hendie said:

I was lucky Johnny - I watched Ebay for a long time and eventually got both the Vampire and the Venom for just over $60 shipping included - from Japan!

You're right though most of them will go for upwards of $60 or $70 each so I really got a bargain that time.

That engine looks amazing, and your home brewed vents look way better than the originals so maybe it's better that you didn't quite make it on the first attempt

I know crazy prices. 😬

Luckily for me ( and thanks to your wonderful build ) I now have a 1/72 aaaaaand extra thanks to @rob Lyttle a 1/32 one too. 😍😍😍😍 hopefully I’ll get an early Birthday postal drop. ❤️
Thanks for the kind words. 🤩

4 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

I hate to be bearer of bad news, so please, don't shoot the messenger. And they are bad only if You cared :). Your job on engine is very good but You have modelled a R-2800 for early -D Thunderbolts. It is B - series with early ignition type. You need C-series which are a bit different and to be careful with ignition parts- these being always an issue with Double Wasp engines The terminology is a little mixed in this tread but I think the magneto/distributor story is for some other occasion. And half of the sparks are in want of their wires... hmmm, I'll just stop here.

You've made a lot of great modelling job here. I admire that.

Oh, the rear ventilation is not a ventilation at all. Be careful there. It is just fixed deflector separating the ventilation exit from engine exhaust with firm surface skin under it.

Thanks for the info. To be fair it took me a while to find the engine.

49652869117_fb80ff3baf_c.jpg

Not a million miles away. I guess I could add an extra set of bolts to cater for the double casing. 🤔

as for the rear vents, do you mean the ones I re did? Yes I know they open and shut, I just modelled mine open as that’s how they were originally.

Thanks for the help though. Anything else please pipe up. I love to learn as I go. 🤗

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

With'ee Dreckly.... 

What? No Cornish flag....???? 

Tiden right, yew...... 😎👍

Thank you sir. Alas no white cross I has a  pirate one. 🤣 🏴‍☠️

2 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

The forward vent is a vent. The rear 'vent' is not. It is a deflector in a vent-like shape.There is a fuselage skin under it.

Ahhh so you’re saying I need to cap of my rear vent?

looking at this it looks like there isn’t any fuselage underneath? Oh I’m confused. 

Actually looking here I think I can see what you mean.

49653589352_664176bf9d_b.jpg

Should have left well alone. 🤪

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Hey. A little update. 
I did the tother side last night.

49648949303_64d39bb2ab_b.jpg

That I now have to cap off the bottom one. No biggie. Shame really, looks rather nice.  I made the little discs for the drilled out hole. 

49649487101_af5fd20dbc_b.jpg

I chopped back the wing panels and popped them in.

49649763497_240186a2f5_b.jpg

@Spookytooth I think I was lucky. 🤩

I had to prime the insides to fit the office before I close up. So I couldn’t resist some on ze vent things.

49648949313_1753ccd750_b.jpg

yes yes I’ll cap it off. 🤨

And green on the innards.😋

49648949508_d6ff960dd3_b.jpg

Now where the heck do I put all these? 🥰🤯🤔🤣

Thanks for dropping by. See ya’ll soon.

take care and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 7

From that perspective you see skin under both. But the forward one shows a skin of the ventilation duct. The rear just the fuselage skin. The deflector is a shaped peace of tin fitted to the skin. It is open from behind but no duct there. I didn't designed this bird, You know, I just love her ;).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 11:29 PM, greatgonzo said:

From that perspective you see skin under both. But the forward one shows a skin of the ventilation duct. The rear just the fuselage skin. The deflector is a shaped peace of tin fitted to the skin. It is open from behind but no duct there. I didn't designed this bird, You know, I just love her ;).

And so you should. 😍 thanks again. Changes have been made. 

Evening folks.

Some progress after work today.

This Covid malarkey has one positive, you get to stay in. So stay in we shall.😊

As @greatgonzo pointed out the engine in the kit is the wrong type. We need a series C. So out with this thing. 

49656209158_4e1707a40d_b.jpg

I made the split plate front lead and added bolts (0.5mm) ones to the new area.

49656208538_5a3c93e5a4_b.jpg

Also added some bracket bits from lead.

49657025872_975d121638_b.jpg

Right that’s a little better. 😇

The rear vent got turned into a deflector too.

49656744246_fb8d4e518a_b.jpg

At last I can close up.😍

49656743931_0b81b9156b_b.jpg

And after a bit of drying we have this.

49657025512_952d09f0a3_b.jpg

The kit seems to come together fast now so I need to figure out the load out.

I’m planning on this...

49656209028_fe89588b62_b.jpg

Taped and blu tac holding em on so don’t worry about the wonky donkey. 🤪

49656743886_e6d8ababb0_b.jpg

bombs and rockets on the wings with a tank. 

49656209023_55bef244d9_b.jpg

(not the biggest one.) in the middle.

Does this look ok to folk who know. 😇

Rockets before and after drills were applied. 🥳

49656743836_f2fd6bffa0_b.jpg

only nine more to go. 😇

The engine got paint touch ups and a gloss coat so I can weather again. 🤪

49656744411_c689236e47_b.jpg

She’s looking more like a C series now. 
next steps are to cut the flaps here.

49656744036_f5e2b3a713_b.jpg

Aaaaaand here.

49656208773_aff5f202ef_b.jpg

I’m not doing it tonight as I’ll make mistakes. 
also it looks like these bits should stick out more. Is that right?

49656208713_1ea81dfe5e_b.jpg

ok time for drying and sleeping.

Thanks for the help and interest in this.

Any info is welcomed.

Take care and stay safe kids.

Johnny. 😷

• Like 15

On 14/03/2020 at 00:35, The Spadgent said:

49656209158_4e1707a40d_b.jpg

That’s a nifty punch set you have. Who made it, and where might I get one?
Thanks!

Edited by Mike
Putting the text outside the quote.
  • Thanks 1

Niiiiice work Johnny - that engine's amazing :) 

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

That’s a nifty punch set you have. Who made it, and where might I get one?

RP Toolz Bill - not the cheapest of tools but, IMHO, worth the investment.

Their website shop is here but, I guess, there will be a supplier local to you?

Just seen their new 'Deluxe Wooden Storage Boxes' - out of stock, rats.

I want one…

• Thanks 2