Masking Tape 20, 10, 6 & 2mm

Mike

Masking Tape 20, 10, 6 & 2mm

AMMO of Mig Jiménez

boxtop.jpg

Masking tape for modelling was revolutionised by the introduction of Kabuki tape from a well-known Japanese model manufacturer, and since then it has gone on to become one of the modeller’s staples.  It is traditional low-tack paper tape that was allegedly used in Kabuki theatre in the construction of the intricate shadow-puppets and scenery, which is where the name comes from.  Whether that’s true or not I have no clue!

tape.jpg

This new tape from AMMO is available in a range of widths, and each one is supplied on a standard sized roll with 25m/82ft of tape on each one, although I’m not about to unroll one to check that assertion.  The tape is bright yellow and each roll arrives in its own resealable clear foil bag with the AMMO logo and colour scheme printed upon it.  The 20mm, 10mm and 6mm rolls are wide enough to be quite sturdy, while the two 2mm rolls we were given are flexible and if you are rough with them the tape could fall off the reel and make a mess, so treat the narrow ones with care, possibly reusing the bag to keep dust and fluff out of the reels.

demo.jpg

The tack of the tape is very familiar, as is the texture and stretch of it, so no surprises there either.  One thing or note is that as it has been wound around a larger reel (just over 8cm diameter), the tape comes off the roll with less curl and is fractionally easier to handle as a result.  It burnishes down well, and even those areas I tested on acrylic paint came up easily without any lift at all.

Conclusion

It’s a large roll kabuki tape that has all the same properties as the rivals, so if it’s available near you or you need some tape and your favourite online retailer sells it, you can grab a roll or two as part of your order with confidence.

Highly recommended.

2mm Tape

bin.jpg

6mm Tape

bin.jpg

10mm Tape

bin.jpg

20mm Tape

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

...the introduction of Kabuki tape from a well-known Japanese model manufacturer,

Are you not allowed to say the name of the well know Japanese manufacturer? 

Interesting point about the size of the roll and curve of the tape however. Sods law last week ordered new rolls to replenish all my well known Japanese manufacturer dispensers. Which is a shame because I’m a sucker for new gimmicky stuff...

31 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Are you not allowed to say the name of the well know Japanese manufacturer? 

I chose not to, even though everyone knows who I mean. :ninja:

32 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Interesting point about the size of the roll and curve of the tape however. 

The difference may be negligible, but worth a mention :)

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...