Thinning Tamiya paint for brushing

Will14m

Hi everyone, I'm just getting back into modelling after a 45-year absence, and how things have changed. There is so much more information available on-line now with YouTube, google etc than there ever was in my day. Unfortunately, more information comes with more opinions also, and leads to my question.

I am not in a position to buy an airbrush at the moment and I am therefore brush painting. I am currently doing camo on a spitfire and cannot get the darker green to go on smoothly. I painted the whole of the upper wing and fuselage with the light buff colour diluted with alcohol as suggested on a YouTube video and because it was applied quickly it also went on smoothly and after 2 coats gave a passable finish, however the dark green camo is a different matter.

Because I have to work must slower for accuracy of the camo edge I am finding that the paint is drying before I get the section finished and the result is shameful (brush marks is an understatement). So much so that I have just completely removed all the paint and intend to start again. There must be someone out there who has successfully painted camo with a brush and can give me a definitive dilution recipe and technique. “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope”

By the way I am using Tamiya acrylics.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tamiya paint retarder is really the best way to cure the problem, it helps a great deal in making them slightly more useable for brush painters, just make sure you get the right retarder as they now do two types, one for the lacquer based and one for the acrylic range. 

HTH 

Dan 

I successfully brush painted the disruptive camo on a lanc using Tamiya.  It was heavily thinned with windscreen wash (easier to get than X-20A) with a smidge of Windsor & Newton Flow Improver ( probably similar to the Tamiya product above but widely available in art shops or some WHS).   The thinning means several coats but overall the finish was comparable to the sprayed areas, gave a sharp demarcation and avoided having to do marking.

HTH

Cheers

Will

Thanks everyone, I wasn’t even aware or retarders until now and I will certainly try out a few of your ideas. Malpaso’s post looks particularly interesting. My local Range sells Windsor and Newton products so probably a good place to start.

I don't think that Tamiya acrylics are the easiest route when brush painting. I tried them years ago and had mixed results, tending to drag off the previous coat most of the time. I know the flow improver can help, but too much tends to make it's own problems. I much prefer Vallejo model colour for brush painting, it seems to be a lot easier to work with in my opinion...

6 hours ago, Will14m said:

By the way I am using Tamiya acrylics.

Thats the problem mate, they don’t really brush well.
For all the effort and mixes and star alignment they take to brush out a mediocre finish you may as well just use different paint. 

Acrylics that brush well and can be thinned with water on a primed surface. 

Hataka blue line

Mission models 

Revell aqua. 

For priming Stynylrez (rebottled as ammo one shot and ump) brushes fairly decent too.

Tony 

I love airbrushing Tamiya and it is fantastic for that but as mentioned above, when I've tried brushing it I often find that (even with retarders) it lifts the previous coat or just shows to many brush marks.

Revel Aquacoat is an excellent brush paint.

Thanks guys. I've tried various combinations of paint to thinners to water to retarder and I think I have to face the facts and agree with Tony amd Murdo, Tamiya just does'nt paint well. The earth colour went on fine as did the sky blue it just seems the darker colours give problems.

A visit to my local model shop I think for a different paint.  As the light colours are ok I'm just going to redo the dark green.

I have been looking at Amazon and youtube re airbrushes and came across a video "how to improve an inexpensive airbrush" by polishing the needles and replacing the O ring with beeswax. I really can't afford a quality airbrush and so my search of Amazon came up with "Gocheer Airbrush Set, Airbrush Gun Complete Kit Dual-Action,Mini Airbrush Compressor with 0.2 0.3 0.5mm Nozzles and Needles, Airbrush Cleaning Needle,for Model,Makeup,Nail Art,Tattoos, crafts" £47.59. Your thoughts?