Shenyang F-6 Pakistan Air Force (Mistercraft 1/72)

Mario

Hello modellers,
Today I would like to present you my new Mistercraft 1/72 Shenyang F-6 of the Pakistan Air Force. I bought three of these 4 Euro kits as I wanted a North Vietnamese MiG 19 for my Vietnam collection. But I liked the camo scheme of the Pakistani machine and the combination with western Sidewinder missles. As you can imagine, the kit is quite basic and a lot of scratchbuilding necessary to archieve a good result.  I started with the non existant cockpit and added a cockpit floor, instrument panel and side consoles from styrene sheet. Intake trunk and exhausts were extended and new wing pylons for the missles modified from spares box parts. The new ejection seat and pilot came also from the spares box. Several improvements were made as landing and navigation lights, gun barrels from hypodermic needles, pitot tube from brass tubing and silver rod, a brake chute from round plastic sprue. I also modified the tail fin to achive a more realistic appearence. The canopy was very thick, almost old Matchbox style,  and seemed a little to narrow, so I vacuformed a new one over the slightly downsanded original part. The model is a bad tail sitter and as I underestimated the amount of nose weight, had to re-open the intake area to add more ballast. This meant the undercarriage had to be strenghtened with metal rod.  Except for the roundels and stencils, the decals were self printed. All paints and clear coats used in this build were Humbrol enamels. For the panel lines I tried a Vallejo wash, the rest of the weathering was done with oil paints and pastel chalk as usual. The chipping was applied before the first coat of gloss clear coat with a silver pencil. Glad to have a Shenyang/Mig19 in the collection and hopefully you like it, too.
Mario

f6DBas9.jpgEkTG5Nx.jpgFhJVEnZ.jpggDD39Fh.jpghttphttps://h4Cp7CI.jpgimEgard1i.jpggur.com/h4Cp7CIs://imgur.com/h4Cp7CI

Edited by Mario
  • Like 33

Wow, well done.  I built this kit for a build-in-a-day competition and it was a real fight from the instructions (for a different Mig19 kit?), through the lack of location for undercarriage and stores (so built wheels up) to the non-adhesive decals ( fixed with Klear)!  Your model looks so much better.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Thank you very much Doc72, Voltures1 and Will. 

2 hours ago, malpaso said:

Wow, well done.  I built this kit for a build-in-a-day competition and it was a real fight from the instructions (for a different Mig19 kit?), through the lack of location for undercarriage and stores (so built wheels up) to the non-adhesive decals ( fixed with Klear)!  Your model looks so much better.

Cheers

Will

Compared to the size, this was indeed a time consuming project. Had to check the location of each part with my references as the instructions are rather inaccurate. Also disappointing that there were no North Vietnamese decals as was advertised on the box top. Have also bought  the Mistercraft MiG 19S kit which contains the very same sprues but another decal sheet.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

It's a cool MiG-17, what's not to like? 😉  It looks great in that gray camo!  Well done sir! :clap2:

The '17 is a favorite type of mine; I've always been impressed with how they performed against much more advanced American aircraft in Vietnam.   Here's my take on a North Vietnamese model:

HobbyBoss 1/48 MiG-17F

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

It's a cool MiG-17, what's not to like? 😉  It looks great in that gray camo!  Well done sir! :clap2:

The '17 is a favorite type of mine; I've always been impressed with how they performed against much more advanced American aircraft in Vietnam.   Here's my take on a North Vietnamese model:

HobbyBoss 1/48 MiG-17F

Ahem, actually Gary, the Shenyang F.6 is a Chinese produced Mig-19, two engines & stuff like that. :) About equivalent to the F-100 Supersabre.

Steve.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Ahem, actually Gary, the Shenyang F.6 is a Chinese produced Mig-19, two engines & stuff like that. :) About equivalent to the F-100 Supersabre.

Steve.

Oh my, and yes, that is mentioned in the second sentence...:facepalm:  Oh well, you guys need to keep an eye on us old-timers :mental:; you know, I did think it looked sort of "chunky" for a MiG-17. :giggle:  

And yes, believe me I do know the difference between the two types as a MiG-19 is notably absent from my collection and has been on a wish list for years.  Thanks for the correction Steve!   

To the OP, my apologies for the mistake and please disregard my irrelevant link!  Cheers, GB

• Like 3

Thank you very much for all you kind comments, especially Steve and Gary!

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is brilliant, I like the PAF scheme, it is a good look on these & your build has brought it out beautifully. 👍

Steve.

Hi Steve!

Originally wanted to apply a NMF finish but then thought a camo scheme was more forgiving, especially as it was my first Mistercraft MiG 19 build… 

17 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

HobbyBoss 1/48 MiG-17F

Thank you for the link to your pretty MiG 17.  Will look if I can find some North Vietnamese markings in 1/72 scale...

• Like 2

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Congratulations for your wonderful build!!!

Just a fine build of this little kit, without a doubt you really know how to take the very best of any model to change the poor raw material into a masterpiece.

I thought the Mistercraft kit has had a bathtub and nice seat but seem is a copy of the old but nice KP kit with just engraved detailed surfaces, so was thinking in take the tools and go ahead with my old kit. Have watched there are many Pakistan Air Force camouflage patterns to choose and getting a little inspiration would be a nice addition to my small built kits collection.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Thank you very much my friend and nephew. Nice to meet you here again and to be able to give you some inspiration for your projects!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1