Hasegawa/Sword AD-4N Skyraider 1/72 - Groupment Aerient Presidentiel de Gabon (GAP) - 28th April - Decalling done!

Hi all, 

Another day in my little hot sweatbox toiling over a combination of work and modelling ;). You know which one wins ;).

Today I had a few tasks. These were to mask the red areas, add the door furniture on the starboard side, airbrush the black areas.  I'm pleased to say that I got those all done. 

I started out with the masking. Using lengths of Tamiya tape I consulted my many GAP images of the Skys and tackled the application. The fiddly bit was the lightning bolt along side the fuselage. As I said before, I could have used the decals for all of this but I'm not a fan of such decalling. Not only that but my experience with this set a few years back made me realise that there are a few inaccuracies. For those wanting to do the same in the future the line width for the lightning bolt is 1.75mm. Here she is with masks applied:

build54

Thereafter, as I now had a degree of protection over the red areas, I added the door handle and hinges. For this I used 0.8mm half moon Plastruct. It is over size at present and will need sanding to shape. I did the same with the Port door, which will be left open

build60

She needs a little tidying yet ;)

build56

I then realised that I needed to replace the guide rail for the canopy. The Hasegawa kit has a basis raised line behind the cockpit. I've adopted the use of some 0.5mm round Plastruct rod to recreate it.

build57

build59

Again, there's a bit of tidying once the cement has set.

Next was the black. At this stage I am painting the forward fuselage only. Later I'll need to get the Black out again for the prop, wheels, outer pylons, etc. What I've tried to do, not successfully, is give a little definition to the anti-glare panel. So I used Colourcoats Tyre Black (C06) with a drop of Matt Black (C02). I'm not so sure that it has done the job. I'll see when it dries. 

build58

My next tasks will be:

1. mask the black

2. tidying the door handles etc

3. giving the eventual aluminium areas a white under coat of Matt White

4. applying the Humbrol Metalcote 27002 Polished Aluminium

5. masking and painting the wheel wells

6. any paint repairs that need to be done

7. a Glosscote ready for decalling

I can then get working on the other bits - undercart legs, wheels, pylons, belly tank** see below, etc.

I have realised from the many images I've been looking at that the centreline belly tank is not a 150gal Aero Mk8. I now remember that for my earlier Armee de l'Air build I had to find a larger one, around 165gal (if I remember correctly). I think I build that from an F-84G wing tip tank. My problem now is that I dont have one! I want to do the belly tank rather than the under-wing tanks as it is this that had the "sharkmouth" markings. Think, think, think ........ where are my spares?

Well, that's it for today. Thanks for calling by.

Martin

Keep safe one and all! 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have realised from the many images I've been looking at that the centreline belly tank is not a 150gal Aero Mk8. I now remember that for my earlier Armee de l'Air build I had to find a larger one, around 165gal (if I remember corrrectly). I think I build that from an F-84G wing tip tank. My problem now is that I dont have one! I want to do the belly tank rather than the under-wing tanks as it is this that had the "sharkmouth" markings. Think, think, think ........ where are my spares?

Are you sure its an F-84E/G tip tank and not a standard drop tank, they were the same shape except for the fins.  If you can't find one I'm sure I've got one somewhere.

Good progress on the day Martin.

• Thanks 1

@RidgeRunner,

Martin,

The tank you need for your French AD is the one carried by A-4's and A-6's. The Tamiya A-1H has the same tanks, IIRC. let me know if you can't locate any, as I have a ton of A-4 tanks from Esci. Hasegawa, and Fujimi kits. The USPS is going to look at me sending another shipment of plastic tanks via snail mail to the UK! 😜 (If it's the same tank in the French AD-4N photo I sent you- that's a Douglas A-4, A-6, A-1H tank without the fins!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike, 

Sorry but it is not that type of tank. What I need is exactly the same as the 150gal but a little larger. It still has the seam around it. It is simply an overgrown Mk8. As I said, I previously used a F-84G wing tip tank. I had to clean it up and add the seam but it worked. :). I might have some F-84G spares. I will look tomorrow. Thanks for the thought, though.

this is how it is:

See my old post:

keep safe, keep collecting and maybe get building ;)

M

Edited by RidgeRunner

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Are you sure its an F-84E/G tip tank and not a standard drop tank, they were the same shape except for the fins.  If you can't find one I'm sure I've got one somewhere.

Goo

Thanks Wez. 

Yes, it was definetly a F-84G tip tank that I used before. I'll check my spares stash tomorrow. If I need help I'll drop you a line.

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Very neat and tidy masking there Martin. I'm with you on paint rather than decals for that sort of thing where possible.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I try to paint whenever I can now. I find matching colours tricky, though :(.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

After a weekend of indoor jobs I've had time today to get a little more done on the Skyraider. I first had to sand down the handles and hinges on the side doors, which I did carefully with fine/very fine sanding sticks. I then got the Tamiya tape out and got the black around the cockpit area masked off:

build63

The irregular surface, because of the armour plating and bolts, made it a challenging exercise but it was nothing too onerous. I then needed to get the red and black overrun areas calmed down. For this I opted for a Matt White. Again I've pulled out the Colourcoats, this being C03. My intention was not to get it to a seamless white surface, but more to remove the glare of the red, particularly, showing through the next coat, which will be the Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium (27002). This will allow me to polish the metallic paint in readiness for decalling and then the subsequent gloss and Satin coats, hoping to end with an even finish that will mimic the Aluminium painted finish of the real aircraft. Here she is post Matt white:

build61

build62

Next I will mask the areas for the decals. From memory the Zotz decals are a little thin and so this will help bring out some of the colours, rather than applying over the metal coat. I have also applied the white to all of the undercarriage doors, etc. so that I have a common foundation. I also gave the prop a set of white tips in preparation for their yellow banding.

Among my next construction jobs I will make up the door steps that were installed on the fuselage just behind the leading edge:

build65

I need to ascertain whether they were on both sides. This shot of another former Gabon Skyraider, TR-LQE, shows it only on one side. For this I will use some 0.5mm brass rod. It will be a little overscale but if I use thinner rod at will be too fragile. You can also get a get view, and appreciation of, the larger belly tank. @Wez has kindly offered a solution for this via a F-84G drop tank. I used the same previously for my Armee de l'Air build some years ago.

So, next steps:

1. build foot step(s), drill out the holes for these and for the underbelly aerial pylons.

2. Mask the decal positions

3. Airbrush the Metalcote, and polish once dry

4, Airbrush the yellow on the prop tips, and mask ready for the black coat.

Martin

Edit:

PS: I am now thinking about making a small dorama with this kit and the Fouga Magister that is coming up after it. I could sit both on a stand with an aircraft ramp surface ;).... maybe.....

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Morning!

A little more done on the Sky :). Over the past two days I've tackled a few odds and ends, plus I got the Metalcote on. 

First I needed to add the foot step "loops" that were on the sides of the fuseage to the immediate rear of the wing. For this, realising it is a little overscale, I used 0.5mm brass rod. I chose this for rigidity. They are not perfect but for my level of dexterity I am content with them. 

build66

I then noticed that the French Skyraiders didn't use the US under fuselage pylon. The tanks were held by another apparatus for which I've not found any close up images. I will keep researching before the day when I need to fit it. I also remembered a few days ago that the central tank used by the Gabonese Skys was larger than the 150gal Mk8. Previously, I used a modified F-84G tip tank for this. Without one in my spares @Wez kindly offered a spare from his stash. This landed on my door step yesterday and so I set about building it in readiness for the modes required. It has a transparent light at the front end but that will be overpainted. The rear end needs rounding off too. I will then get a new seam around the horizontal centreline, a brass rod breather on top, etc. For now she is like this: 

build75

For the fuselage I had to remove the pylon base. The Hasegawa kit has this as part of the underwing section. He weare midway throgh the removal

build67

I also got some yellow on the prop. These machines had orange-yellow bands on the front face of the prop tips, with a single band behind. For this I used a mix of Humbrol Insignia Yellow (154) and Matt Orange (46).

build74

My initial idea for the overall paint coat was to leave white masked areas for the main decals. However, after a little trial with spares from the decal sheet I decided to leave this out and go straight in to the Metalcote coat. So, out with the Badger 200 and ....

build71

build76

I will now set about touching up the small paint ingresses here and there and repair an overspray from a momentary lapse of concentration that sent Metalcote splatters over the red lightning bolts. Memo to self - mask, mask, mask, mask when touching small areas! Once done I'll get the Metalcote polished, reducing the slightly raised lines between the red and the Aluminium, and will get more smooth. Thereafter it will be Glosscote ready for decalling. I will paint the exhausts, antennas, cannons, etc later on. The final finish will be either Satincote or Mattcote to mimic the aluminium lacquer. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I then noticed that the French Skyraiders didn't use the US under fuselage pylon. The tanks were held by another apparatus for which I've not found any close up images. I will keep researching before the day when I need to fit it. I@Wez

Martin

The AD-4 and prior Skyraiders had a flush centerline pylon. It wasn't just a French thing. See http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2015/07/douglas-ad-1-skyraider-pylons.html

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Now that is starting to look rather smart.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. Aside from my little faux pas with the airbrush she has come along quite well. I'm eager to get the decals on now so that she starts to look the part :)

9 hours ago, Wez said:

Looking good Martin, glad you got the tanks too.

Thanks Wez

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, RidgeRunner said:

build65

She's coming along great Martin. I love this picture. It looks like it might be quite recent? I hadn't really read much about French operated Skyraiders but had a little read up after seeing this picture and was surprised to learn how many they had, and how they were used in Algeria and Chad, and later Libya. You learn something everyday on BM!

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes, they had quite a fleet. Until recently I believed that all of their Skys were of the AD-4N/NA type but I now know that they received, and operated, a few straight AD-4s with the side and belly speed brakes. This hobby certainly brings you a daily fix of new information. I love it. 

As you say, a number went to Gabon and Tchad. I'd love to build a Tchadienne machine but I have a long list of other builds lined up. ;). Yesterday I received the latest entrant, a RS Models SIPA S.10, which will be one of my next builds, as an S.11 or 12 with rockets. 

I like this photo too. It is F-AZHK, previously delivered to the GAP de Gabon as TR-LQE, although I have no evidence of it being flown by them. It is still in France, based at Avignon.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

A little more done today. My tasks were: 1) correct the anti-glare panel and respray 2) mask the prop and airbrush 3) build the underbelly tank and 4) airbush the outer wing pylons. I got everything done but not without a little (very little) drame ;).

I didn't take a photo but I polished the Metacote and then masked the anti-glare panel. I had previously set it too narrow. It should start from the top of the cowling flaps and extend slightly parallel forward. Note: you must always polish Metacote before masking or it will leave tape-shaped marks on the surface. For the paint I used a 50/50 mix of Colourcoats Matt Black and Tyre Black, just to give a slight definition once the cowl ring goes on.

I then built up the centreline tank. This is bigger than what I have been calling a "Mk8" Aero. These are the standard that you will get on F4Us, etc. I see now that this smaller tank is known, at least to the French, as the Mk12 (reference "Les Skyraider Francais"). The tank for my build is larger and, rather than 150gal, is 300gal capacity. Again the reference comes from the same source. For this @Wez has kindly donated an Academy underwing tan that has the correct dimensions. 

build80

I had put the two halves togethre last week. Now I needed to sand off the seam around the horizontal centreline as it was too thick. Once done and the rear tip was removed, I added a new seam with Plastruct rod plus other features, including the breather pipe on top and forward of the mounting loops. For this I used 0.5mm brass rod. It now looks like this, afer a shot of black on the upper side:

build77

I then set about masking the orange-yellow on the prop tips. These are quite chunky on the French machines, with two stripes forward and just one on the rear. I have no dimensions so went for 3mm outer, 1mm black dividing line and 2mm second inner yellow. With that masked I airbrushed it together with the outer wing pylons which were black on French machines. Again I pulled out the Colourcoats Matt Black for this.  In the process of painting, though, I managed to damage two of the rocket rails :(,

build79

So, I have then had to rebuild these these. Not a problem, just niggly!

I am now at this stage:

build78

I was hoping to also get Glosscote on today but I've run out of time. I'm a little delayed anyway because I need some French black lettering for the fuselage "MP". The decal set offering is inaccurate (to my eyes). I had some French letters but it seems I sold them on :(. So, the Big H has my order for more (plus some T-28 bits for a future build). Tomorrow I'll have a bit more time for Glosscoting and few more bits of painting - exhausts, cannons, antennae, rocket rails, centerline tank underside, etc. Soon  I hope to be turning Base Leg and calling Finals on this build soon :). After decalling I'll get a further Glosscote on and will have to leave her for at least a week to cure before any washes (Flory) go on.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Thanks @wez. I feel like I'm getting there now. As you can see, the tank is working out great :) 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

'Afternoon all! 

I've got a bit more done on the Sky. It has been a lot of fiddly painting of details, correcting errors and accidents over the past few days. Nothing to report really. However, today I got her decalled after shooting some Glosscote on her yesterday. As you'll recall, I am using the Zotz decal set. For this machine there is also the Printscale sheet available but it isnt as comprehensive and has some omissions. Having said that the Zotz is not 100% correct. The Zotz set does, though, cover all four "coloured" Skyraiders in the Gabonese inventory. 

Using Microscale Micro Set and Micro Sol, and armed with brush, knife, toothpick, etc, I set about the task. My first gripe about the Zotz set is that the overwing roundels are too small. Zotz have elected to produce four identical roundels, which is not correct. Unfortunately as this is the only game in town (see above) I bit the bullet and applied them. The decals themselves go one nicely - no curling, no splitting. They are, however, a little thick. I know, I know, I said that my previous experience was that they are thin. I put that down to bad memory! The thickness means, though, that they resist the effects of the Micro Sol to some degree. Its not a huge issue but purists might think differently.

The next inaccuracy is the fuselage "serial", the MP lettering. The Zotz set has these to be thin and looking under-nourished ;). So for these I used lettering from a Modeldecal set (No.63). I had further issues with these. The adhesive on the decals had yellowed and had separated from the decals as a yellowish powder. I managed, though, to get these cleaned up by wiping the rear face gently with a brush and some Micro Set. They then went on just right.

The third inaccuracy was the wing walkway decals (on the Zotz sheet). It is way too wide when compared to images of the real aircraft. Additionally, Zotz would have you add a hatched yellow line on the front edge of both walkways. In reality the aircraft had a black, thinner walkway that was edged on three sides by a thin yellow line. For both the yellow and the black lines I used Xtradecal line decals.

The Skyraider in French service had a yellow quarter/third radius line around the bottom of each side door. For this I cut the shapes from some of the Zotz yellow decal. I think it looks okay.

The fourth inaccuracy in the Zotz sheet is that the Presidential seal was only carried on the staboard fin, whereas Zotz would have you apply it to both sides. The Port side, though, had a fin flash which, sadly, is not supplied for this aircraft. I therefore had no choice but to use a fin flash for one of the other machines depicted on the sheet. The colours are slightly different but it was unavoidable. Any future builders of the Gabonese Skyraiders using the Zotz set should also notice that the fin flash is too long. So, with all that said and done, I got there. Phew ......

I have also decalled the centreline belly tank.

Next I need to apply a further Glosscote and then it will be left for a week to cure before applying a wash and tackling the weathering/wear and tear. Meanwhile I have started a companion build - a Special Hobby Fouga Magister in Gabonese markings. You will see from the first post that Jacques flew these as well (and the the T-6, which might come sometime).

Anyway, here she is (sorry, not a great photo in this gloomy weather!):

build81

Over the next week I will paint the canopy slider and rocket rails, tyres and a couple of other bits. The biggest task ahead will be to add the charging cables for the rockets rails and the ventral wire aerial.

That's pretty much it.

Martin

The remainder of the Zotz decals went on fine.  

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

On 2/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, RidgeRunner said:

jb32flickr

I will be using a Hasegawa A-1 Skyraider kit (I have a few), Zotz decals, a resin cockpit, a couple of underwing tanks from a F4U, and other bits and pieces. I'll set about the build in the next 48 hours and post progress.

I thought I'd add, and I should have said at the start, that the "blue" machine in the background - 126922/TR-KMO/Sferma No. 42 - is now G-RADR :)https://www.targeta.co.uk/air2air_skyraider_g-radr.htm. Note that in this website she is identified, incorrectly, as TR-KMM in Gabonese service. TR-KMM went to California.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin,

All the effort is worth it mate, you've got a fine looking specimen there, just the final few hurdles to get over!