Hasegawa/Sword AD-4N Skyraider 1/72 - Groupment Aerient Presidentiel de Gabon (GAP) - 28th April - Decalling done!

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Is that green coming through the silver.

Actually I think you are right, Stuart. I took it to be green algae after tropical African open storage, but I dont think so now.

45 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Love that drop tank though... it even has gills 😁

Yes, all four of the "coloured" machines carried them. These markigs are on the Zotz sheet.

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

For final proof to myself,

Martin,

You can sure see the bolt-on external armor plates in the first photo you posted! Looking very good, so far!

Mike

Well, this view answers your question about the forward bulkhead and colour of the rear cabin.

That reinforcement strip really isn't very prominent.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wez said:

Well, this view answers your question about the forward bulkhead and colour of the rear cabin.

That reinforcement strip really isn't very prominent.

Thanks a million, Wez. :)

Martin

A good method for doing subtile raised details like reinforcing strips or raised panels is using Mr.Surfacer (or even thick paint). Just mask the desired shape, apply two or three layers and remove the masking tape. Then after drying use some fine grit sandpaper to break the edges, done.

A good method instead of having to sand down oversized plastic strips, risking damage to surrounding details.

Markus

11 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

As you work your way forward, don’t forget to change the angle of the exhaust glare shields, they don’t come straight out like the kit has them.

Thanks a lot, mate. You mean the petals that cover the exhausts?

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

A good method for doing subtile raised details like reinforcing strips or raised panels is using Mr.Surfacer (or even thick paint). Just mask the desired shape, apply two or three layers and remove the masking tape. Then after drying use some fine grit sandpaper to break the edges, done.

A good method instead of having to sand down oversized plastic strips, risking damage to surrounding details.

Markus

Thanks too, Markus. I'm happy with the plastIc rod approach. I've nearly got it sanded back now to an acceptable mount. Thats a good tip, though. :). I'm thankful that @Wez questioned it. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

The two flat plates below the cockpit. They shield the pilots eyes from the glowing exhausts at night. Look closely at a picture and you will see what I mean. The “petals” are cowl flaps. They control the airflow through the cowling to keep the engine temperature constant. 

6 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

The two flat plates below the cockpit. They shield the pilots eyes from the glowing exhausts at night. Look closely at a picture and you will see what I mean. The “petals” are cowl flaps. They control the airflow through the cowling to keep the engine temperature constant. 

Thanks Robin. I'll take a look. 

Thanks @quangster but I dont see the huge difference, at least not enough to contemplate chopping them off and re-positioning by a small angle, or am I missing something? 

Thanks a lot for your thoughts :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

A little leap forward. Using the Aires cockpit I have now got this assembled, painted and installed. For me this is tedium as there is PE and resin that takes forever to sand and fettle in to the shape. The inner surfaces of the fuselage need to be sanded back to. In fact with the resin sidewalls attached I couldn't see how they would go in without sanding the fuselage halves paper thin. So, I opted not to use the sidewalls and instead I simply painted the fuselage sides appropriately. Having said all that the resin set is beautifully done:

build23

I know, I know, there is a lot of dust but be assured that I got the stiff brush out after this shot and cleaned in up. Essentially it is an Interior Green and black scheme, using Humbrol Metalcote (the nearest to me at the time ;)) to dry brush here and there and then a few swipes with the Tamiya Oil Stain weathering stick. Then it was the fiddly task of getting it in to the fuselage. I got there eventually. Some filler will be needed but it really looks worse than it is: 

build25

The rear cabin needed a dusting too! ;)

build24

You can see that I also inserted a filler plate on the starboard door window. TR-KMP had this, like many other AD-4Ns. I've also got the wings together. Now I need to tackle the pylons. More tedium! :(. Oh.. the eagle eyed will see that I haven't yet finished sanding the strengthening strips above the doors!

build26

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

Question for the collective oracle that is BM ;): Does anyone have any photos showing the T-10 rocket racks in detail, please? Thanks in advance.

Martin

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Question for the collective oracle that is BM ;): Does anyone have any photos showing the T-10 rocket racks in detail, please? Thanks in advance.

Martin

Tricky, I can't find any clear pictures in close-up detail, there's some scrolling required but this page shows Skyraiders and the installation on Fennecs which may help?

I've also included the page on the Harvard/Texan which may help but possibly this page on the Alcyon and Aquilon may be useful.

It seems to be quite a versatile weapon which could stand a number of different installations, I'm hoping you can pick something out of the bones on this lot?

Hi Wez @Wez, Your experience is much the same as mine. These are useful links, Thank you. As far as I can see - and there is a great shot of a SIPA with T10s - there was a simple round-section rail that hung under the pylon via two lugs. At the rear there were arming/firing wires. So I reckon for me it will be some Plastruct rod and some electrical copper wire. There's only a dozen to make! :(

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks a million @Wez. They look a bit fiddly to reproduce in 1/72! I reckon I can cope with the stubs between the rails and the pylons, the rails themselves (from thin gauge Plastruct rod) and the firing cable (from copper electrical wire). This wont hold uyp my progress as I will build them and attach once everything is painted. 

Martin

Hi Ignacio!

Yes, I treated the AD-4W like a resin aftermarket, giving me a few parts that I needed but couldn't get in resin, such as the doors, the main pylons, etc. It also gives me an antenna for a future Vietnamese build. :). Looking back I thought I could have done it the other way - using the AD-4W fuselage and blending in a Hasegawa A-1H top deck. However, I then realised that the AD-5W didn't have the cockpit armour that I needed. Otherwise I am sure it would work. I might try. Meanwhile I will get the current one and my Super Mystere finished. Then I am going to tackle a USMC AD-4B (using more of the AD-4W) and another Mustang! Unless my fickle mind has a change of direction.

Thanks a lot for your comments. I'm hoping it wont be too long before I get to start painting the Sky. :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

A little more to report on the Skyraider before I take a deep breathe and start to tackle the T10 launch rails on the outer wing pylons. As you can see below, I have the wings on, tailplanes on as well as the main wing pylons. Having cemented these yesterday I've now taken a "pointy stick" with PPP to various places:

build27

This is the arrester gear housing. This was blanked off on the French AD-4Ns. I've filled with plasticard and filled around that. It, like the rest of the PPP - post wiping with a cotton bud - needs to cure before I take a sanding stick to it. 

build28

I used the inner wing pylons from the AD-4W kit which match those used on the earlier ADs. Again there is some cleaning up to do once cured. 

build30

This is the Aires resin insert. It slots in quite well if you measure it out and cut accurately. Once again the PPP its settling and curing. All these shots look more messy than they really are. Some fairly simple tidying will bring them up to scratch later. 

build29

And here she is now, awaiting the PPP to do its thing and I will get sanding and scribing (again) done, add the windscreen, before getting some primer on. :). I'll then know how good my PPP filling is :).

Martin

Now ...... the outer pylons, some Plastruct rods and some wire :)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

This is the arrester gear housing. This was blacked off on the French AD-4Ns.

Good tip, duly noted!

54 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I used the inner wing pylons from the AD-4W kit which match those used on the earlir ADs. Again there is some cleaning up to do once cured. 

Yes, that's a big bug-bear, the Hasegawa kit only comes with the later pylons, I was expecting to have to scratchbuild some.

20 minutes ago, Wez said:

I was expecting to have to scratchbuild some.

Thats what I did previously, Wez. Fortunately my "aftermarket" AD-4W kit has them :)

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

A little progress. Firstly I got the drops tanks cemented. These are from a HobbyBoss F4U-4 and work fine. I just need to trim of the "pylon". I only need the one for this project so the other will drop in the spares box. I will add a half-circle vent atop the front end.

build37

I have also started to tackle the pylons in readiness for the T10 rocket rails. The rails look like this:

T10-roquette

However, you need to forget the two pylons shown. This image was of a T-6 set up. The rail, though, was the same. I have opted to try to replicate the rails on the two lugs that were used on the Skyraider pylons, presumably as an interface between the standard rail and the set up on the AD-4. To do this I have started by drilling and cementing lengths of 0.5 mm rod on to the pylons. These now need to cure before I cut them down to form the o.5mm, or so, lugs. Upon those I will mount the rails, made from 0.8mm rod. It is an approximation but I hope the effect will be okay. In a larger scale I'd need to add more locating pins/forks upon which the rockets themselves hang (I dont know the technical term) :).

js1024_06_65_-AD4-N-Sky_20-QK_795x563

The Hasgeawa Skyraider outer pylons come in two parts so need assembly. For this build I also needed to remove the supporting "sway brace" lugs from each. Here is how they look:

On the sprue

build34

The insert with the lugs that need to be removed

build32

Cememted in place with lugs removed

build31

Now with the rods inserted and cemented, awaiting curing

build38

Next I will trim the rods and get the rails made up and cemented. I will also need to drill the holes for the arming cables (is that the correct term?)

Well, that's it for now. The garden awaits!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 4

Just a small additional post: the rails fitted. I have 12-off these:

8634C986-0D51-4122-AD1D-BBCA50B3F2EAx

I need to do a little tidying of the pylons themselves once everything is cured :) .. Phew! Done! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1