Testing Times

Paul821

I know that this is one of the less visited parts of BM, and that there are other forums available but BM seems to have become my go to site for modelling so this project will be documented in these hallowed surroundings,

Six/Seven weeks before a house move might not be the best time to start on a project - but here goes.

As the move will involve a slight amount of down sizing I have disposed on much of my stash of unbuilt kits an excess model railway equipment over the last couple of months.; The proceeds from this have gone towards a slush fund to pay for this project and other modelling related activities.

The aim of this project is to construct a simple layout that will:

in OO scale (1/76th)

cost neutral

allow me to try out different modelling techniques

run trains "round and round"

have an element of a shunting puzzle

be easy to move and fit into its new home

(at different time) run under DC or DCC control

be set in a fictional army depot - as a home for my collection of AFV and soft skinned vehicles.

The first stage of this project is documented here

As to the "shunting puzzle" element - the size of this will be constrained through the use of this

DSC04046

A Peco Loco Lift and Storage Unit, although designed, and sold, for loco use only you can fit a loco and two wagons onto it

DSC04049

I know this looks like three wagons but the loco is the diminutive Hornby DS48 which comes attached to a match-wagon, my other shunting engines are larger.but till allow the two wagon load.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=422

Therefore the layout will have to consist of a siding for fuel that can only handle one or two taker wagons. This will depend on space.

Progress is being made so the first update will follow shortly,

• Like 2

One of the benefits of carrying out a house renovation is the presence of your own skip from which you can salvage materials with a clear conscience.

Have just had the roof and wall insulated this was left over

DSC04050

by the way don't pick me up on the radiator and extension lead - they are not connected.!

if you search the internet you will find more negative views about using this type of material for a model railway baseboard than positives. As it is fairly rigid,, light and free I will proceed to use it. One this is that the foil covering is essential as it give the material its strength and rigidity. The main down side is that it is very conductive so all wiring (12v DC / 20v  AC) need to be well insulated,

As to the size the layout...

This will be the minimum I can make it, which means train set size and a simple circle of track with sidings. Although smaller radia are available in OO most modern stock for the UK market will go round what is called radius 2 curves, this is what I will use.

One example of the possible layout is shown here

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-family-fun-starter-pack.html

Looking to get the first test train running today.

• Like 1

Good to see that a few people have visited this outpost of the BM empire, so my build thread will continue.

The size of my baseboard does seriously impact possible track layouts, and extra 20cm in length would have helped. Using the free version of the excellent track planning software Anyrail we have this

Capture

the free version is limited to 50 track pieces but that is adequate for me.

Track quickly laid and trains run OK as seen here

DSC04051

DSC04053

The two sheets of paper are there to insulate the Hornby  power clips. These touch the coating on the boards and cause short circuits.

My next task to add some point motors.

• Like 6