B1 Special with Grand Slam ***FINISHED***

JOCKNEY

16 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

I believe that the fins on both the Grand Slam and Tallboy were  angled slightly and that made them spin 

That’s what I have read too Pete. By spinning the bomb in this simple way it assisted with its accuracy. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 9:06 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Decals look a bit ropy

IMG_4853

If the decals are beyond redemption there are alternative markings on two Xtradecal sheets for two post war examples of a BI (Special) and BIII (Special): sheet 72256 includes markings for an example of a BI used at RAE Farnborough as a target tug and sheet 72305 a 15 Squadron BIII.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

I believe that the fins on both the Grand Slam and Tallboy were  angled slightly and that made them spin - Barnes Wallis was a clever beggar! When I went for an interview  with BAC as it was then at their Brooklands site back in 1970 they had the empty casings of one or perhaps both mounted on the outside wall of his old offices if my memory is still working at all. No doubt long gone as I believe the factory was closed 20 years or so later and later demolished..

Pete

They are still there Pete

https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/explore/our-collection/weapons-and-missiles/grand-slam-22000lbs-earthquake-bomb

https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/explore/our-collection/weapons-and-missiles/tallboy-12000lbs-earthquake-bomb

Pity no one is stood next to it for scale !

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Here’s a diagram of both Tallboy and Grand Slam compared to the height of a typical man dressed in a long skirt. 

I've had this one for years. 

49605578607_38519f310c_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Saw one of those beasts displayed at the RAF Museum during a trip to London back in 2008. What a brute!!!

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

Truly needs to be alongside a person (or a Spitfire) to give a sense of its size.

• Like 6

On 01/03/2020 at 14:22, JOCKNEY said:

Its actually a Scotsman in a normal sized kilt but with short legs 

Riiiight, Pat, that's going too far! I'm going to have to watch this build (no great hardship!) to make sure we don't have any more disparaging remarks about kilts - I've run out of 'Laughs' on the website already! Poking fun at short legs is OK, though! Great to see you on a build and looking forward to some progress...... All the best. Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike

Great to have you along, if it turns out half as well as my Hampden in the Classic Airfix GB I'll be delighted  !

Currently trying to make some progress in the other GBs im also got builds going in :frantic:

cheers Pat 

PS i got married in a kilt 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, JOCKNEY said:

PS i got married in a kilt 😉

Hi Pat,

Although I have family in Scotland I have never worn a kilt so I have never been able to test a theory I formed many years ago. When I was younger I had very hairy legs, but the front of my knees were hairless. I concluded that this might be due to the friction between them and my trousers. If that is correct, then theoretically a lifetime kilt wearer should have hairy knees as well! Can anybody out there confirm or deny this?😁

Pete

• Haha 8

On 21/03/2020 at 15:15, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

Although I have family in Scotland I have never worn a kilt so I have never been able to test a theory I formed many years ago. When I was younger I had very hairy legs, but the front of my knees were hairless. I concluded that this might be due to the friction between them and my trousers. If that is correct, then theoretically a lifetime kilt wearer should have hairy knees as well! Can anybody out there confirm or deny this?😁

Pete

Great theory, Pete, but hair on the knees of kilt wearers could also be a function of how often it is worn - Sundays and weddings only? Burns Night and Hogmanay only? International Rugby matches only? International football matches? (never since 1978/1982!) Being a modeller negates all this as the time spent crawling around on hands and knees to foil the carpet monster keeps those knee caps hairless and shiny! Hope you are well. Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well as we are nearly at the bottom of page 2 and we are all incarcerated in our own homes, I've got no excuses not to get my digit withdrawn and get on with this. So some picture of progress so far to follow.

First of all a huge thank you to @vppelt68 for sending me replacement props, take your time and see if you can spot the difference 

IMG_4870

No ?  Ok well V-P's prop is the one on top :giggle:

As I like to have spinning props on an aircraft, yes I know, some of us have never grown up, but you should know me well enough by now. The hole in the centre of the kit provided prop is huge compared to the posher and classier replacements, this mean lots of filing and trial fitting till they spin freely, Although not a good as @peterairfix Grand Slam that has motorised props, how cool is that !

IMG_4871

As a way of making me feel I had actually achieved something I did this, few parts but definitely a feel good factor :D

IMG_4872

Finally out with the Humbrol 33 and a good hairy stick session to finish

IMG_4873

Cheers Pat

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Got off to a flying start with that one. Ism looking forward to seeing it finished as I think I have one in the stash. 

• Like 1

Nice to see this one coming along Pat and well done V-P to come up with the goods for the new props - they look so much better. Now I think I might borrow your visual hint to ensure those vertical stabs set themselves straight. I’ve been thing up some sort of jig, however your idea looks simpler and much better. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I made an unfortunate discovery last night, that the kit isn't complete.

This is not an unusual occurrence for me but for one it's not muppetry on my part loosing something.

Found to be missing so far is one crew member and a couple of the window clear parts. I found a replacement crew member lurking in the spares box, going by that unique shade of blue it's an old Airfix one !

IMG_4883

I took the opportunity to give the clear parts a coat of Klear, missing items top right

IMG_4884

Finally got to grips with the undercarriage and engine nacelles, needs some additional painting but we are getting there.

IMG_4888

More later

Cheers Pat

• Like 6

Some progress at last, both crew painted and seated

IMG_4895

IMG_4896

This is the fairing that replaces the front turret....mind the gap !

IMG_4897

IMG_4898

The 2 fuselage halves went together really well

IMG_4899

The panel that goes into the bomb bay is another places where even after a lot of fettling, it's going to need filler

IMG_4900

IMG_4901

This is as good as I could get the front fairing, today it's out with the filler and then WINGS ON ,

IMG_4902

Cheers Pat

• Like 7

Hi, no its actually flush, just a dodgy photo, it didn't fit at all to start with !

Yes it's going to need a lot of filler, in fact I might try some small strips of plastic in the gap first

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

The "tongue" at the top of the fairing is presumably the same as the one used when the turret was fitted and acted as a sort of external restraint/pivot, in which case it actually stuck out above both the turret and fuselage quite a bit as I recall. Would your fairing fit better if you could raise it a fraction and allow the tongue to slide back over the fuse a bit rather than trying to fully recess it into the "trough  in the nose, if you see what I mean.

Just a thought!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1