B1 Special with Grand Slam ***FINISHED***

JOCKNEY

Looking good Pat ‘ol mate and I hope you and your family are getting through this crisis without too much hassle. Now a few gaps here or there should not bother modellers like us, who for some strange reason enjoy dabbling with old bits of cruddy plastic. Bit of smeared over CA will do the trick nicely. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking good Pat ‘ol mate and I hope you and your family are getting through this crisis without too much hassle. Now a few gaps here or there should not bother modellers like us, who for some strange reason enjoy dabbling with old bits of cruddy plastic. Bit of smeared over CA will do the trick nicely. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave

Things are a little strained in the Jockney household if I'm honest.

Mrs Jockney has been called up by the NHS to work on the Covid19 ward at the local hospital as she was previously an intensive care Nurse then Sister.

This has meant virtual house segregation for her from everyone else, bedroom bathroom etc.

Im now cooking for the kids and I, ( they will never complain about their mums cooking again ! )

The builds on BM are a very welcome coping mechanism, for when all our lives are allowed to return to normal.

I hope that everyone is well with you and stays that way !

On a lighter note see more progress below 

IMG_4903

IMG_4904

Cheers Pat

• Like 11

Looking good, I still think the 1980 Airfix Lancaster is not a bad kit. My Lincoln conversion from a few years back was based on it and quite clearly the Mach2 York used it as a basis for the wings, tail and undercarriage. 

It must be very difficult at home with Mrs Jockney being thrust into the front line and you have all my sympathies from an ex nurse. Mrs T is lucky in that she can reduce patient contact to the minimum. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

I agree, that Lanc is looking great. I've always wanted to build an original 1980 Airfix Lanc boxing, so will try to hunt one down one of these days just to say I've built one. Mrs Jockney must be certainly under the pump and isolating her from the rest of the family must add to the overall stress. Once this whole sordid episode is over all those NHS workers deserve a huge prize, bonus, medal - whatever it takes they deserve it! . Let's hear three big cheers for Mrs Jockey.. hip hip.. hooray, hip hip.. hooray, hip hip.. hooray!! 

Cheers and take care.. Dave 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 05/04/2020 at 13:09, JOCKNEY said:

I made an unfortunate discovery last night, that the kit isn't complete.

This is not an unusual occurrence for me but for one it's not muppetry on my part loosing something.

Found to be missing so far is one crew member and a couple of the window clear parts. I found a replacement crew member lurking in the spares box, going by that unique shade of blue it's an old Airfix one !

IMG_4883

I took the opportunity to give the clear parts a coat of Klear, missing items top right

IMG_4884

Finally got to grips with the undercarriage and engine nacelles, needs some additional painting but we are getting there.

IMG_4888

More later

Cheers Pat

You may also find that the radiator flaps under the engine nacelles are neither on the sprues or, mentioned in the instructions...more filler/card/plastic scratch-building to be done!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Worms said:

You may also find that the radiator flaps under the engine nacelles are neither on the sprues or, mentioned in the instructions...more filler/card/plastic scratch-building to be done!

Thanks for that, I must admit I was baffled by what should be under there ! 

If you have got a picture of what it is supposed to look like I would really appreciated

Cheers Pat

35 minutes ago, Worms said:

How strange, is that an issue with just this Grand Slam version or the base 1980 Airfix Lancaster kit? 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

How strange, is that an issue with just this Grand Slam version or the base 1980 Airfix Lancaster kit? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Not on my 80s Dambuster kit either!

• Thanks 1

I can’t get to my 1980s Airfix Lancaster just now but, from memory, the rad shutters are moulded in the fully-closed position.  The area aft of the shutters contains the hot air intake for the carburettors which Airfix have represented.  If you do want the shutters open their outlines are moulded on the lower cowlings so you’ll have to remove them, then build up the rear faces of the radiators, the outlet ducts and new shutters.

• Like 1

I will have a look at what's involved with making them now I know what they look like, thanks very much  @Worms

Whilst on the subject of open and closed, the 2 cockpit side windows which come as separate parts in the kits, if you wanted to show these open, do you just leave the part out or does it hinge inwards or outwards ?

Sorry if this is a daft question for all the Lancaster experts !

Cheers Pat

21 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

if you wanted to show these open, do you just leave the part out or does it hinge inwards or outwards ?

I’m pretty sure the windows slide back Pat, so you could probably get away with leaving them open. Check some photos to see what size they should be.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi guys,

Very strange. Just checked both the 2nd mould kit I am using for the Lincoln and my original build from when it came out, and although it looks like they intended to provide the flaps they seem to have forgotten! On the very first moulding they are of course moulded closed ie not shown at all.

Somebody at Airfix was being a bit careless back then it seems. Not a problem on the Lincoln of course but when I refurb my Lanc I will have to make some.

Looking good Pat. Hope Mrs Pat is safe and well - not to mention the rest of you.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi Pat,

this is now looking like a Lanc! You seem to enjoy these big beasties with a lot of engines! 

I have never tried that, and considering the time it takes me to build something with one engine, I'd rather not try to extrapolate how many lifetimes a four-engined Lancaster would take me!!!

But I am impressed by your progress!

Tell Cheryl to be careful, and try to cook your kids something else than haggis!

We are thinking of you all.

Take care

JR

• Haha 1

Nothing wrong with haggis Jean, though I am not too keen on the Glasgow version deep fried in batter - they will fry anything including Mars Bars. I was introduced to it when visiting family in Alloa many years ago - they did "Black Pudding supper" and "White Pudding supper" at the local chip shop. I am amazed they do not have a higher incidence of heart attacks.

How's the wildlife these days - still got the Mongoose?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, PeterB said:

Nothing wrong with haggis Jean, though I am not too keen on the Glasgow version deep fried in batter - they will fry anything including Mars Bars. I was introduced to it when visiting family in Alloa many years ago - they did "Black Pudding supper" and "White Pudding supper" at the local chip shop. I am amazed they do not have a higher incidence of heart attacks.

How's the wildlife these days - still got the Mongoose?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

ditto re-haggis. I really enjoy it, and thank heavens I only was briefly in Glasgow! I was spared the deep fried Mars bar!!!

I suspect they send the heart attack patients to a hospital in Aberdeen, just so they keep their statistics of heart attacks down, and can carry on frying everything!!!

Never underestimate a Scot!

The wildlife is still fine: no game hunting this season due to world wide lockdowns. Both us and the wildlife are very happy!!!!

And yes, the mongoose still got us as slaves. 

Cheers

JR

• Haha 4

First coat of paint on, gives you a real lift as it makes the aircraft look much nearer finished than it really is.

Its going to need a second coat, it takes a lot of paint !

IMG_4913

IMG_4914

I think I may have made a c*ck up, does the camouflage go on the inside or outside of the twin tails ?

Can someone let me know please

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Neither.  They count as side surfaces so are Night.

Thanks Graham so black inside and outside ?

Box picture show black outside camo inside, others I've seen have camo both sides :frantic: :shrug:

cheers Pat

Normally Night both sides.  However I've just realised we are talking Grand Slam.  There was considerable publication given to an unusual scheme for these types, but it has since been discovered that this was for post-war trials.  I don't really know more details than that, but gather that the wartime use was in standard colours.

• Like 1

Thanks Graham

This picture from Wikipedia backs up what you are saying so makes my sides of the aircraft also wrong and it should be black underneath rather than grey !

IMG_4915

Stroll on, I will pop a question on the other bit of BM, before I go any further and see what the consensus is, no point in continuing to paint the kit incorrectly !

Thanks again Pat

Hi Pat,

Certainly the endplates were normally black, but I have seen pics of Grand Slam "daylight" Lancs with the green/brown on the fuselage sides as you have painted it - though as Graham says that may have been post war. I will have a dig through my sources and see if I can find anything. In Osprey's Combat Aircraft" book on late war Lancs there is a pic of a 617 Grand Slam plane in day bomber camo -the dark green/Earth comes all the way down the sides and the undersurfaces are Medium Sea Grey, but the tail endplates remain black - they say it was in operational use in "Spring 1945" and flew at least 3 missions, and was one of a batch of 32 built as Specials and delivered between January and March 1945 in that scheme. The particular machine is PD119 YZ*J. There are however no actual wartime photos to confirm this, though there is one of an ex 617 machine from the same batch in 1946 in the same scheme, so the usual caveats apply. I will PM a pic.

Looking good.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1