B1 Special with Grand Slam ***FINISHED***

JOCKNEY

Despite unfinished builds all around me, I could not resist the temptation to join this GB, with this long time stash resident !

IMG_1615

This is a placeholder until later on in the week, when I can post pictures of the contents 

Good luck everyone 

Cheers Pat

• Like 22

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Despite unfinished builds all around me, I could not resist the temptation to join this GB... 

That's spooky Pat, I swear I said that in my sleep last night! I've got Hasegawa's Grand Slam offering, however am thinking about converting it into a straight bomber of sorts, not sure why? Good luck with this one, I'll do my best to follow although might not get the chance to join this GB with all my Nordic builds on the go at the mo! 

Cheers mate.. Dave 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

however am thinking about converting it into a straight bomber of sorts,

The same thought has occurred to me too Dave, though I think I'll look out for another one of the older kits, I'd quite like to do a post war ASR Lanc in the TSS scheme they wore.

@PhantomBigStu, they're quite well regarded as far as accuracy is concerned I think, not as many bells & whistles as the new kits but cheaper too.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The same thought has occurred to me too Dave, though I think I'll look out for another one of the older kits, I'd quite like to do a post war ASR Lanc in the TSS scheme they wore.

@PhantomBigStu, they're quite well regarded as far as accuracy is concerned I think, not as many bells & whistles as the new kits but cheaper too.

Steve.

More concerned about buildability, found the new tool a pig to build particular my 2nd attempt, which is one of the sticky points stopping me entering (the other being space to display it when done unless I sacrifice reserved space or put one of my corgi diecasts lancs away). However I may just browse eBay for a bargain kit anyway and have a casual inquiry into how much he wants for the kit on Friday.....

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

I still maintain the the older 08002/3/4/5/ series are a better build, certainly not over engineered.

I find the shapes are pretty good, opportunity to add the extra detail and relatively easy to build.

For me the only real let down is the main canopy . . . .

• Like 1

Long overdue pictures of box contents of kit 08006

IMG_4850

IMG_4851

Conversion Parts

IMG_4852

Decals look a bit ropy

IMG_4853

This is the one I will be building

IMG_4854

This is the alternative markings

IMG_4855

Surprising to see Airfix still listing H30 for the green of the camouflage paint.

Cheers Pat

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Long overdue pictures of box contents of kit 08006

Conversion Parts

Decals look a bit ropy

This is the one I will be building

This is the alternative markings

Surprising to see Airfix still listing H30 for the green of the camouflage paint.

Cheers Pat

They still do in some up to date kits, edit in fact I’ve checked my wimpy which is the newest airfix ww2 kit I have and yep it’s good old 30. Least they go with 163 for the post war stuff like the phantoms 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Haha 1

Hi @vppelt68

Thanks very much for your offer of the replacement props, I will send you a PM. Thanks @PhantomBigStu for bringing my attention to this.

That got me wondering where I had previously seen the props provided with my kit ?

IMG_4856

This was my first guess, but upon closer examination it was a fail, then a eureka moment !

IMG_4857

And check out the crew, what's not to like ! 😘

Cheers Pat

• Haha 11

@JOCKNEY...I don't know whether you had noticed but when I dug mine out today I noticed that there seems to have been a major ordnance retention malfunction according to the box art...The securing chain is still on the Grand Slam! 😳

Edited by Worms
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Worms said:

@JOCKNEY...I don't know whether you had noticed but when I dug mine out today I noticed that there seems to have been a major ordnance retention malfunction according to the box art...The securing chain is still on the Grand Slam! 😳

Perhaps that's how they released it to get it spinning, think starting cord on the lawnmower only bigger ! 😉

Seriously well spotted, can't think how many times I've looked at that picture and never noticed it !

Good news is it's not moulded into the kit part 👍

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Pat,

I believe that the fins on both the Grand Slam and Tallboy were  angled slightly and that made them spin - Barnes Wallis was a clever beggar! When I went for an interview  with BAC as it was then at their Brooklands site back in 1970 they had the empty casings of one or perhaps both mounted on the outside wall of his old offices if my memory is still working at all. No doubt long gone as I believe the factory was closed 20 years or so later and later demolished..

Pete

• Like 4