Airfix Hurricane Mk1 Trop - North Africa 1941 - 1/48

Hi all - so just finished this up at the weekend - The newish Airfix Hurri Trop in 1/48 - The kit was okay - good in places and quite tricky everywhere else - but for the cost, it's not half bad. It did need alot of filling and sanding but managed to wrangle everything into place in the end. I added an Eduard "Big Ed" PE set which included interior detail for the cockpit, landing flaps and painting masks. I riveted the wings upper side and bottom and used after market decals (DK Decals) as I wasn't confident I could pull off the kit scheme! But I like this one better - it depicts V7544, F/O J. Storrar, No. 73 Sqn RAF, North Africa 1941. 

I went for a very weathered airframe - so it might look over the top and won't be to everyone's taste - but it was another experiment where I tried a bunch of new techniques, some of which came out okay - All I know is that the vast majority of reference photos I looked at show some very battered examples so I tried my best to replicate it.  I had trouble with the forward air scoop which I wasn't able to figure out how to fix but apart from that I'm happy enough. 

zeeDif8.jpg

qWvG2Rk.jpg

Rk3GknM.jpg

6OzzvGd.jpg

t59yPIk.jpg

IHnOwcz.jpg

VVtYW7t.jpg

OUHTr7U.jpg

cYAUxNC.jpg

Comments and criticism is welcomed - thanks for looking :)

Cheers

John

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

I love the trop, a very nice example.

6 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build and a great job on the weathering.

Wulfman

Thanks guys :)

8 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Superb Hurri! Looks fabulous in the desert scheme. Which paints did you use?

Thanks mate - I used Tamiya Acrylics for the base colours: 

Dark Earth: XF52+XF64+XF2 in equal parts

Mid Stone: XF59+XF60+XF2 in equal parts

Azure Blue: XF8(1 part)+XF2(3 parts)

Thanks to @DaveCromie for posting this a few years ago :)

Used oils for the weathering plus some AK enamel washes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Thanks mate - I used Tamiya Acrylics for the base colours: 

Thanks to @DaveCromie for posting this a few years ago :)

Used oils for the weathering plus some AK enamel washes. 

Brilliant. Many thanks. Looks spot on

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work! :thumbsup:

And thanks for the heads up on building it as I'll use this kit for the upcoming BoB GB. FWIW, I'm having similar experiences with their recent 1/48 P-51D. 

Thanks! The kit isn’t too bad - I would follow the instructions 100% re the cockpit / wheel bay section - especially making sure you have the struts lined up at 90 degrees with the cockpit- my kit had some serious warping so I used a hairdryer to carefully heat the plastic so I could bend the parts into shape using the lower wing section as a jig.. I also removed quite a few of the location pins to attain a good fit. Dry fit as much as possible and you’ll be fine! 

10 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Bloody strewth mate, you've done a wonder here!  Great looking tropical bird! :clap2:

8 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanks guys

11 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I used Tamiya Acrylics for the base colours: 

Aha! Thanks for this info! It will come in rather handy methinks.

Super job as usual, she really looks the biz as a well used DAF bird!

• Like 1

Well done, John!  I think overall the weathering turned out great, especially on the topside of the wings.  I've been static about my weathering techniques for years and am planning on trying some new ones as well.  Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaminCam said:

That's great John the weathering looks ace, did you do all the rivets yourself?!? Dabbling in hairspray chipping as well?

Hi Sam - Yep put most of those rivets in with the rosie the riveter tools. The kit comes with some raised rivet detail on the inner wing sections which is nice. I used a few different techniques for the chipping - I used masking fluid dabbed on with a sponge in a few places - I like this technique as it gives alot of control - and doesn't matter if it takes a few days to complete the paint job as it usually does with with me. Some hairspray was also used, especially on the nose section - plus I did some more chipping with a detail brush. It's  probably my best result in terms of doing "convincing" chipping but I'm still not happy if you know what I mean - it could be better but I think it's an improvement over my previous efforts.  A lot of chipping was lost after the weathering process so next time I'll wait as long as possible before removing the masking fluid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks good. The trop  scheme is my fave on all WWII RAF aircraft. The weathering looks about right for a war weary bird!

• Like 1