11 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Lo

- I have this in the stash. Any advice?

Thanks

Hi Tall Blond John.

It was a pretty straight build. The gates on the sprues are quite thick so it was interesting to see how much could be removable and saveable! Flash is reasonable except for the engine which looks a bit lumpy but can be cleaned up. The floats are resin and the decal sheet doesn't have a lot to say for itself. 

The cockpit instrumentation is very basic but not unexpected for this time period. I masked the wings and sprayed the ribs with Tamiya deck tan then removed the tape and over sprayed with AK's clear doped linen set. The floats are a little tricky as the angle between the front and rear struts are different. I used Pegasus wood effect decals on the struts and these were really fragile.

The black ribbing effect was a mixture of black decals and paint. For rigging I always use wire. For 1:72 scale 0.122mm and for 1:144 scale 0.071mm wire.

If there's any more info required please don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moa said:

I am enjoying these models you are posting.

May I kindly ask for a little bit more "meet" in the sense data about scale, background, how the kits play out, etc.?

Perhaps a few "in process" picks so we may learn a a trick or two?

Cheers and thanks for posting these models, always a bit of fresh air!

Hi Moa,

The kit is from AZ and is 1:72 scale. There are three option with the decals. The first two aircraft took part in the last Schneider Trophy race that took place in Monaco on the 20th of April 1914 before WW1. By the way Howard Pixton (GB) won the race in a Sopwith Tabloid with , Ernest Burry finished second for Switzerland ,Gabriel Espanet quit on the 16th lap,Pierre Levasseur on the 17th, Lord Carbery on the third. The other competitors did not start the race. The final aircraft was with the Swedish air force during 1915. This particular aircraft was flown by Roland Garros but I am pretty sure that he did not finish the race, actually I'm not sure if he ever even started the race. Engines were notoriously unreliable.

The other questions I think that I have answered them in the previous reply to John. But feel free to ask and questions, I'll answer as best I can.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bryanm said:

Excellent - love he wood finish on the floats!  Very neat rigging as well - what did you use?

Hi Bryanm,

Thanks for the kind words.

Re the floats I used Pegasus wood effect decals and over sprayed with Tamiya clear orange varnish.  The decals are very fine and do tear very easily, so a lot of care is required. Rigging I always used wire, for 1:72 scale 0.122mm and for 1:144 scale 0.071mm wire. I have tried HSP and elastic rigging but I just feel that real wire looks more the part!

Feel free to ask any further questions, always glad to replay.

Cheers

Joe M

• Thanks 1

Beautiful!

I'm sure it's modesty, but you omitted to mention it was awarded best seaplane at Telford. I remember because I had my Donnet-Leveque there too!

Ian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful!

I'm sure it's modesty, but you omitted to mention it was awarded best seaplane at Telford. I remember because I had my Donnet-Leveque there too!

Ian

Hi Ian,

You could say modesty, I don't like to blow my own trumpet! To pick up any medal at Telford is an honour. I was lucky this year with two silvers and very unexpectedly the trophy that you so kindly mentioned (Jim Howard).

I saw  your Donnet-Leveque flying boat there and I thought that it was beautiful.

Perhaps we'll meet up this year at Telford.  IPMS Ireland have a stand in the over-sea's hall, drop over and say hello. Would be delighted to meet up. I also hang around a bit with the 144 SIG.

Cheers

Joe M

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bughunter said:

Oh, here are the Schneider Cup days! Just posted the Sopwith winner in 1/48 in the neighbor thread :bye:

Great little model, very clean build in that small scale!

Cheers,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Just had a look at your superb Sopwith Schneider, it's truly beautiful. You did a great job on it. I love those flowers, Intraflora no doubt.

I have early Eduard kits of both the Sopwith Baby and the Schneider, perhaps I'll try one of those for this year. But I do have a 1:144 Valom Hanriot HD 1 that I'm thinking of converting to the HD.2 float plane version. (To many kits and not enough time.

As I said to Ian in a previous post; Perhaps we'll meet up this year at Telford.  IPMS Ireland have a stand in the over-sea's hall, drop over and say hello. Would be delighted to meet up. I also hang around a bit with the 144 SIG.

Cheers

Joe M

Stick & String Rule O.K.

I am hoping to be at Telford again this year, so I'll plan on that. I'm also in the Great War SIG and may spend some time there to help out this year, we'll see closer to the time.

Keep an eye open on here too, as we usually have a BM meet up at some point!

The Eduard baby needs quite a bit of work, notably the tail surfaces, floats, and rear fuselage, but nothing too difficult.. Here's a link to my build if it's any help when you come to do it.

Ian

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I am hoping to be at Telford again this year, so I'll plan on that. I'm also in the Great War SIG and may spend some time there to help out this year, we'll see closer to the time.

Keep an eye open on here too, as we usually have a BM meet up at some point!

The Eduard baby needs quite a bit of work, notably the tail surfaces, floats, and rear fuselage, but nothing too difficult.. Here's a link to my build if it's any help when you come to do it.

Ian

God Ian,

That was some labour of love. But worth it in the end. I'll have to see what I'll do with my version!

Many thanks for the link it is most appreciated.

Cheers

Joe M

• Like 1