1/48 Sea King SH-3D, BuNo 152711, Apollo 11 Recovery

Hello Hamilton,

The famous Sea King model, bringing us some history, that most of us from the fifty's can remember very well.

Looks great. The old color scheme with the carriers name on the sponsons

Outside under the sliding door, camera's!

Could/would it be possible to ad the reference picture to this article. 

SARAH, never heard of that abbreviation before.

Technicians that can explain this device. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

Hello Hamilton,

Just checked your WIP.

Found the camera's and the Yagi antenna.

Great stuff.

Regards, Orion

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. 🙂

On 2/24/2020 at 12:09 AM, JosephLalor said:

Excellent job on a subject I’ve wanted to have another go at for a long time. You mentioned SARAH. I take it that’s Search And Rescue Active Homing.

Search And Rescue And Homing, according to Grant Fish's Hornet Plus Three: The Story Of The Apollo 11 Recovery.

The paired aerials, one either side of the fuselage, were good at direction finding, but notoriously bad at ranging. This resulted in an interesting near-missing during the Apollo 11 recovery, as described by Scott W. Carmichael in Moon Men Return. "Swim One" (Helo 53) was trying to get within visual range of the descending capsule before it splashed down:

Weather conditions at the splashdown site were considerably better than those at the previous site, but it was still quite cloudy. Richmond was flying in and out of clouds at an elevation of about eight hundred feet as he raced along the bearing indicated by his SARAH operator. He emerged suddenly from a cloud and screamed "Oh, [redacted]!" into his microphone as the window filled suddenly with the sight of three huge billowing parachutes, about one thousand feet directly in front of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Orion said:

Could/would it be possible to ad the reference picture to this article. 

The problem with this aircraft is that it is documented by small blurry images, or clear close-ups of parts of the fuselage.

But I've added a couple of distant port and starboard reference shots to my first post, as well as a partial view of the state in which I've modelled her, which shows the arrangements of the aft cameras, the winch and the rotor sling which I've tried to reproduce.

23 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Hamilton,

Just checked your WIP.

Found the camera's and the Yagi antenna.

Great stuff.

Regards, Orion

Thanks. The aft cameras, in particular, were pretty close to the limit of what I can do with brass rod and bits of styrene.

cameras1.jpg

That is an amazing build of a helo that is every bit as famous and beloved as the FAA's 'Humphrey' Amazing detailing to recreate all the bits and pieces carried on the recovery missions. You are a steely-eyed model builder!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
removed incorrect text
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That is an amazing build of a helo that is every bit as famous and beloved as the RAF's 'Humphrey' Amazing detailing to recreate all the bits and pieces carried on the recovery missions. You are a steely-eyed model builder!

Mike

Thanks. Nice reference to the heroic days of spaceflight, too. 🙂