RAF Phantom air to air refueling

cherisy

Just a quick question. Other than the FGR 1 and 2s used for air defence  , Did any of the UK based strike sqns ever rely on air to air refueling? I'm aware that this was unlikely in Germany . I know there are a few ex phantom types here that may be able to put me straight. I'm looking to do the Airfix kit as a 6 sqn aircraft.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Cherisy,

at least No. 6 Squadron used Air-to-air re-fueling when they flew to Singapore. And there was an another squadron before them who demonstrated that such a long ferry flight was possible; probably 54 Squadron...

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

I remember seeing a lot of early 1970s pics of the Coningsby-based FGR.2 strike squadrons on deployment to Akrotiri, Cyprus, and the liklihood is they relied on aerial refuelling. IIRC that would have been No.6 & No.54 Squadrons. Not sure the OCU or recce unit, No.41, did that but others know more.

Tony 

• Thanks 1

There are some very nice photos of 6 Squadron's FGR.2s in Patrick Martin's book "British Phantoms" with original camouflage and three coloured roundels. Few beautiful shots also in Air Enthusiast 1974 showing Phantoms RAF Tengah (Singapore).

I'm planning one myself.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Antti_K said:

There are some very nice photos of 6 Squadron's FGR.2s in Patrick Martin's book "British Phantoms" with original camouflage and three coloured roundels. Few beautiful shots also in Air Enthusiast 1974 showing Phantoms RAF Tengah (Singapore).

I'm planning one myself.

Cheers,

Antti

Got to love proper roundals  and that can opener badge !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cherisy said:

Are those white Sergeant Fletcher tanks I see ?

The early 54 Sqn jets did have the white tanks.

I'm not sure if it was down to a mixing up up of RAF & RN tanks as some RN Phantoms had odd coloured tanks early on.

If you do a quick Google search of '54 Sqn Phantom' you will see a few shots showing the white tanks.

The wing pylons were often in white aswel.

Edit; note the wing tanks are different colours on the different sides in that IWM picture.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

As an extra bit of info the early dk. green / dk. grey FGR 2's inner wing pylons were white with aluminium / silver painted leading edges, and not grey, as some sources say. HTH   :cheers:

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 2:33 AM, iainpeden said:

The F-4J(UK)s of 74 would have used AAR on a regular basis; as former USN a/c they used "our" system of probe and drogue.

That’s the only system an F-4J was capable of using.  The USAF versions had a boom receptacle on the spine.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, Starfighter said:

As an extra bit of info the early dk. green / dk. grey FGR 2's inner wing pylons were white with aluminium / silver painted leading edges, and not grey, as some sources say. HTH   :cheers:

Silver not grey. Thats great thanks. I nearly ended up following the " some sources" :)

What John just said: Corogard -paint. And if you look closely on the photos you can see exactly the same areas painted with Corogard as in USN F-4Js (those aluminium coloured wing leading edges, vertical stabilator leading edge and intakes). Those areas look slightly darker in British Phantoms (FG.1 and FGR.2) than other camouflaged areas as colored Corogard was used. This "rule" applies to original American paint work.

Take a look at this photo and pay close attention to the vertical stabilator leading edge between the cooling air intake and the red anti-collision light: 1643355-large.jpg

More (and better) photos in Martin's Phantom book.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1