1/48 Snowspeeder

Nev

This is my Fine Molds1/48 Snowspeeder.  Cracking little kit, but teeny tiny even in 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wasn't too fussed about 100% accuracy when painting the interior - especially as I struggled to find decent ref pics, I was looking more for the effect of making it look "busy" and I am very happy with how its turned out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rest of the construction will be 15 mins work, then I'm going to try pre-shading this one.  Looking forward to some heavy weathering :)

Edited by Nev
  • Like 11

49 minutes ago, Maximus-480 said:

Looks like you've gotten off to a great start. Attention to detail is remarkable.

(That box cover is awesome, by the way.)

Thanks Maximus

Continuing to make good progress.  I tried pre-shading for the first time.....ever.  My airbrushing skills are pretty poor, and I had no end of problems doing this.  Use Model Air NATO Black and it was constantly blocking, and I really struggled to get a fine, narrow line hence why it looks like I just put a coat of black on 🤡 

Snowspeeder%2BIP8.jpg
Snowspeeder%2BIP9.jpg

Then last night, I sprayed the white base.  I used Arctic White from Hataka lacquers.  Wow!  Just wow!  Best paint I have ever sprayed.  Thinned it 60:40 with thinners:paint and sprayed at about 15psi.  Went on beautifully, smooth, dried reasonably quickly, not a single blockage.  First time I have ever used this paint, will definitely be using it again!
Snowspeeder%2BIP10.jpg

In these pics you can't really see the pre-shading, its more visible to the naked eye.
Snowspeeder%2BIP11.jpg
Snowspeeder%2BIP12.jpg

Onto decals next.  Then touch ups, filters and washes.....

• Like 7

More progress on the Snowspeeder.

Decals on

1583583809483248-0.png

1583583802164913-2.png

Then I started applying a filter using MiG's grey, and disaster struck.  The thinners used for the filter dissolved the glue on the starboard gun causing it come away.  Worse, on the port gun barrel, it completely sheared off!

1583583805947130-1.png

I've now superglued  the barrel back on, and it will need a bit of sanding and paint touch up, but thankfully nothing too bad.  I've abandoned the filter , which is a shame as after 3 coats the effect was just starting to build up, but alas the solvent is just too damn aggressive.  I've had it dissolve glue before, but never shatter plastic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I got the washes done today.  FIrst of all lathered it in Flory Wash
1583620468470238-0.png

Unfortunately the solvent from the filters still hadn't completely dried in places, and the wash got embedded in the paint.  Wiping with water wouldn't remove it, so I had to resort to a light sanding to get it off. 

1583620465018454-1.png
1583620461693039-2.png
1583620457778208-3.png

Now I can't decide if the wash is too much, too little, or just right :)

Also interesting the difference in the colour of the grey depending on whether there's any natural light, and the colour of the background.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...