1/72 Airfix C-47, Air America, Bangkok, Thailand 1971

1/72 Airfix C-47, Air America, Bangkok, Thailand 1971

Anything, Anywhere, Anytime, Professionally.

Air America was a covert operation run by the CIA which delivered items, goods, people and whatever else was necessary to places that the US Military could not openly go.

Built using the Airfix D-Day C47 Skytrain kit.  Airbrushed using Tamiya acrylics and lightly weathered using Flory dark wash.  Wolfpak decals for the Air America scheme.  I am delighted with how this has turned out - better than I imagined.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers gang,

Phil

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done model of the classic Gooney bird. 

Woody while the movie is entertaining the book on which its based is better, Air America by Christopher Robbins.

One anecdote from it I remember. A new pilot in awe of one of the Air America veterans asked how many hours he had in the C47, pointing at one out on the ramp. 'About 4000 hours' was the reply. The new pilot was disappointed thinking after all those years he would have more than that. 'No' the veteran pointed out '4000 hours in that C47' 

Great stories in the book. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 3

On 2/23/2020 at 2:52 PM, janneman36 said:

Like your subject Phil it is a very nice one😁

Did you left of the trim on the cabin windows on purpose?

cheers,Jan

Cheers Jan,  It was a conscious decision to leave the cabin windows.  The kit allows you to fit the windows from the outside and I actually fitted them after all paintwork etc was complete.  I couldn't muster the effort to mask 12 tiny windows with a very feint outline of where the edge is so that is why they have been left as is.  

Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Booty003 said:

Cheers Jan,  It was a conscious decision to leave the cabin windows.  The kit allows you to fit the windows from the outside and I actually fitted them after all paintwork etc was complete.  I couldn't muster the effort to mask 12 tiny windows with a very feint outline of where the edge is so that is why they have been left as is.  

Phil

Very nice work. For me I would have 'scuffed ' the walkways a tad to help reflect the rest of the weathering. For the widows you could always use silver decal stripes cut to suit and applied.  Tedious work sure, but worth it as that's what I would do.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 4:38 PM, noelh said:

A new pilot in awe of one of the Air America veterans asked how many hours he had in the C47, pointing at one out on the ramp. 'About 4000 hours' was the reply. The new pilot was disappointed thinking after all those years he would have more than that. 'No' the veteran pointed out '4000 hours in that C47' 

Art Wilson, a.k.a Shower Shoes, because he refused to wear any footwear other than flip-flops - including when flying.

Lovely job, Booty, that's got just the right slightly-disreputable atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...