What are you using to give your airliner models the final clear coat?

BluesModeller

I’ve used Vallejo Matt varnish and W&N gloss and Matt varnishes on my previous (small) models to good effect using either an airbrush and/or hairy stick.

I noticed the little 1/390 Boeing I did remained tacky after quite a few days.  That was the W&N gloss.  My other models where just Matt or a mix of the gloss and matt for a more satin look.

I don’t fancy airbrushing the final clear coat on the huge 747 and A380 models i’m going to start soon and am leaning more towards a spray can.

I’m curious to hear what you guys are using to finish models.  What brands, what types of paint and your methods of applying it.  Also would like to hear what to avoid.  Do you prefer high gloss or do you prefer a slightly more satiny look?  Any tips at all!

Should add that I use Klear/Future as a gloss coat before decalling but not impressed with it enough for a final gloss coat.

-Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Just use gloss paints no need to clear them...

I’d be too worried about all the decals getting damaged and some of the paints I use are only available in matt.  Need to seal all that in to protect it all and make it uniform.  Although i’d probably tone down the wings so the whole thing doesn’t look too toy like.

Heard good things about Vallejo Mecha Color varnish.  It’s airbrushable I see.  I’m thinking anything out of a rattle can may be too hot to use over decals and water based acrylics.  The Halfords Appliance White would be ok but I use either Vallejo Model Air, Revell acrylics or Tamiya depending on what colour I need.

3 minutes ago, RODH2 said:

Mr Color. matte clear, in the spray-can.  Gloss clear is too shiny for 'scale effect' in 1/144, IMHO!   🤔

I’m with you... I don’t want them to look like die-cast toys but I do want a certain amount of shine.

On 23/02/2020 at 12:49, BluesModeller said:

I’ve used Vallejo Matt varnish and W&N gloss and Matt varnishes on my previous (small) models to good effect using either an airbrush and/or hairy stick.

I noticed the little 1/390 Boeing I did remained tacky after quite a few days.  That was the W&N gloss.  My other models where just Matt or a mix of the gloss and matt for a more satin look.

I don’t fancy airbrushing the final clear coat on the huge 747 and A380 models i’m going to start soon and am leaning more towards a spray can.

I’m curious to hear what you guys are using to finish models.  What brands, what types of paint and your methods of applying it.  Also would like to hear what to avoid.  Do you prefer high gloss or do you prefer a slightly more satiny look?  Any tips at all!

Should add that I use Klear/Future as a gloss coat before decalling but not impressed with it enough for a final gloss coat.

-Mike

As a newbie to this hobby, (I say newbie as I'm 63 & not done this since mid teens) I come here for help & advice which I do take on-board. In using Klear on a Revell 1/48 me163 Komet to protect the acrylic paint ready for decaling, I was mortified to see that the decalfix had somehow penetrated the Klear coat & 'burned' some of the paint. I 'rescued' the mark but find myself in fear of continuing the decaling in case of a repeat of this. What am I doing wrong here guys please? Should I give the model another one or two coats of Klear perhaps, before attempting to decal again....., or maybe try something else. I'd rather use the Klear if possible, as it is a case of economy. Just don't understand why this happened as I've done what other modellers have suggested, in using the Klear in the first place. For the record, I left it to cure fir several days. Many thanks in advance for any help. Regards. 

Hi Freecloud, I’ve occasionally had the decal setting solution affect the paint under a couple

of coats of Klear ( one coat doesn’t get it glossy enough for decals for me).   I’ve just left it all a couple of days to dry out and then, to date, another coat of Klear solved the problem and no one’s any the wiser!

No idea why this works though...

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got back into the hobby after a 20 odd year hiatus and have used Future Clear (or Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss, £14 on amazon as it's known these days) with decent results for gloss coating. It does, however take a long time to fully cure (currently have a Spitfire XIV which I sprayed about 3 days ago and it's still not fully cured)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shashman said:

I've just got back into the hobby after a 20 odd year hiatus and have used Future Clear (or Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss, £14 on amazon as it's known these days) with decent results for gloss coating. It does, however take a long time to fully cure (currently have a Spitfire XIV which I sprayed about 3 days ago and it's still not fully cured)

Got the Revive It.  Does a good enough job for pre-decalling but It’s not as smooth as I’d like for gloss finish.  Always seems to be slightly satiny in spots although that may be my technique.... And lack of patience!

Got some Tamiya X-22 to try.

2 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Got the Revive It.  Does a good enough job for pre-decalling but It’s not as smooth as I’d like for gloss finish.  Always seems to be slightly satiny in spots although that may be my technique.... And lack of patience!

Got some Tamiya X-22 to try.

Yep, it's definitely not smooth. I just went to start decal-ing my Spitfire, and at first it felt fully cured when I touched it, but after holding it for a minute or so: clear fingerprints 😫 After 4 days!

Luckily I bought some X-22 the other week which I've yet to try so hopefully that will cover the prints.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Shashman said:

Yep, it's definitely not smooth. I just went to start decal-ing my Spitfire, and at first it felt fully cured when I touched it, but after holding it for a minute or so: clear fingerprints 😫 After 4 days!

Luckily I bought some X-22 the other week which I've yet to try so hopefully that will cover the prints.

Wow, thought it would have been ok after that amount of time.  Having said that, I had the same experience with the W&N gloss.

Fingers crossed the X-22 works out!

I am not an airliner guy but I use PU car paint varnish.

It´s beautiful, glossy and super resistant.

Also it is very cheap and easy to apply

Look for the one that isn´t two-component.

Also buy the appropriate thinner and use a mask.

• Like 1