Airfix 08013A 

Avro Lancaster B.III 1:72

49572755628_95853c9315_z.jpg

The goodies are:

Glazing Masks: Montex MM72205

Aires gun barrels 

And xtradecal set 

49572756663_2f06ed9211_b.jpg

I’ll post better pictures when i’m back at my workbench.

The plan is to create that pretty white-finned lm583 ‘PO-T’ of Raf 467 squadron  (australian) based at raf waddington in august 1944 from the decal set.

I also have an interior PE detailing set from eduard.

Looking forward to see all the other variations in the gb.

This is gonna be fun.

edit: heres a shot of PO_O (same squadron and white-tailed livery)

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Good luck mate

I must admit, im very tempting to get my own masking set, its the part of a build i dread !

cheers Pat 

I figured it was a good investment on such a glass frame laden aircraft Pat. I think theres roundel masks in the set also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Dansk and I believe we'll be building squadron mates!?

I have an Eduard mask set for my build, I wholeheartedly recommend Pat you get a mask set too. I do my own masks for simple ones like Messerschmitts and Spitfires but anything this big and with curvy canopies, go for a pre-cut one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can i ask what masking sets are available for the Airfix grand slam Lancaster  ?

Apparently Eduard caters only for the latest tool kits... But why not try one of them anyway? The previous edition is told to be very accurate too so there might not be that big a difference in clear parts (but don't take my word on it, though).

A slight change of plan on my build.

The place i ordered the masks and kit from, wrote to tell me now that the airfix kit isnt in stock.🤨

so after searching around and pricing things up i’ve opted to follow @MarkSH’s lead and use this kit:

spacer.png

i think it represents better value for money and i’m excited to try a revell kit.

my AM guns and cockpit set designed for airfix i’ll attempt to make work for it.

i’ve also ordered the eduard mask set for the revell kit

and the current xtradecal white tail set i have will still be used 

i’ve added aires wheels to the mix as reviews suggest the wheels are the only weak point of the kit.

spacer.png

so off we go again... 😊

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Nice to see someone else building this kit, its always good to see someone else's take on the various problems the kit might present. Good luck with it.

Thanks mark. I love that about group builds - various heads working together to find solutions on the kits.

The trickiest thing i think on this one is the lack of dihedral on the main wings i might leave that its looks hard to fix. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thanks mark. I love that about group builds - various heads working together to find solutions on the kits.

The trickiest thing i think on this one is the lack of dihedral on the main wings i might leave that its looks hard to fix. 

doesn't seem it

see

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't normally venture down this end of the forum, but since I've been mentioned here is my WIP on the Revell Dambusters BIII.

I'm going to fix the dihedral and I'll tidy up the cockpit, but other than that it'll be OOB.

Not sure whether to do Gibson's aircraft or not. Having read up on him I suspect that we wouldn't have got on ;-).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

@Dansk I am going to do the cut to the top surface and bend the lower as per: http://www.hyperscale.com/lancaster_guide.pdf

It will need some filler to finish but I think it will avoid the compression distortion to the profile.

Cheers,

Mark.

There’s a chordwise strip over the structural joint between the centre section and outer panels on the Lancaster, so a 40 or 60 thou strip of plasticard laid over your cut would be entirely appropriate.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

You won't be able to see it, but you'll know!

Awesome find with the DB’s map harry.

i was thinking of doing a map on mine too but not DB.

i took the libert of reducing the aging sepia out for you 😉

49585856506_a734882205_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ps i did a (day correct) newspaper on a previous c-47 group build, like you said, not seen but you know it’s there 😊

On 3/10/2019 at 10:15 PM, Dansk said:

Hi chaps,
I’m sorry really not enjoying this hobbyboss kit at all; I find it a chore to work on it and it’s supposed to be fun so i think it’s wise to stop on it.

My last kit was a tamiya mosquito and i absolutely loved every minute of it, But theres so many innacuracies in this kit with every stage i’ve gotten disappointed and i’ve lost the impetus to spend energy on it (especially not the level of involvement i had planned for it with the loading trucks etc.) 

The final nail in the coffin was the canopy on a dry fit fuselage join and it just looked ridiculous the window height compared to its length was severly out of proportion it looked comical to my eyes.

So i hope its ok that i assign the project to the shelf of doom and watch and encourage  others but not participate in the GB now. 

I’d like to come back at the in the near future with an newtool airfix kit or even my oldtool one and use all the expensive aftermarket when i get the mojo for it but not with this hobbyboss - it’s killed my energy for this project right now. 

I think i want to start on something new from a more focused manufacturer and regain lost mojo.

Heres a few shots of where i got too:

46426734565_65cb4e9986_h.jpg
I printed the stars and stripes newspaper (mentioned earlier in the thread) for a downtime navigator / radio op
46618302124_851112ff2a_h.jpg

46618302424_84a8203b11_h.jpg

47289140132_8b7048fac3_h.jpg

A scale reference here

33465684618_cf19c5406e_h.jpg

I’m so sad about it i was really excited about the project beforehand.
I’m sorry to anyone who was following the build also who offered valued input.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

Perfect timing. Yay!
The haynes manual, the wheels, the masks and the kit itself arrived today just in time for the build start.

Together with the interior PE, the gun barrels and the new decals it promises to be a fun and detailed build for me, I’m quite excited about it.

49597668047_dd59250b84_b.jpg

The kit itself has a wonderful charm. The instructions look so old fashioned that they may have been scribed on cavewalls but i Love them! 

49596919433_6dc54aefb2_b.jpg

The kit seems really well done from initial impressions.

Except The wheels which have been described not erroneously as donuts by @Harry_the_Spider
Glad i upgraded them.

49597419141_be5d5be9a8_b.jpg

From the decal set, i still have loads of schemes left over.
I might use them on a mitchell from the stash in the near future.

49596919483_06658c58d4_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Enemy coast ahead is still a very good read.

@Dansk If you can build cockpits as the above, then I'm sure you can bend a couple of wings.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pete 👍

I’m scared of ruining the whole kit.

• Like 1