Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I (LO-O K9955) - Tamiya 1/48

Andrew.S

ACHTUNG SPITFIRE!

Last Christmas I bought this kit and I was really looking forward to builded immediately... But it did not come up to my desk until now. I have nothing to say just that this kit is absolutelly brilliant and I have never seen anything better than this. The construction is always thinking one step forward and the parts fit 100%. Just an amazing job from Tamiya, you are advanced as no one is. But I will stop praising now. 

IMG_20200219_152816 

I fell in love with the coloured photos and this one convinced me to make this particular Spitfire K9955:
(Colourised by Doug) from Facebook

34673602_1590336241096162_43339048896849

The description says:
"RAF Fitters working on a Spitfire Mk I (possibly code LO-O K9955) of 'B' Flight, No. 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron at Drem in East Lothian, Scotland. March 1940"

Two years ago, I was in Scotland, East Lothian at the East Fortune airfield and museum which is very close to the former Drem airfield. The second reason why I chose this marking is the Scottish emblem from the Scottish pilot. I found decals from the Fündecals and ordered them immediatelly (what a luck!).

And now to the model.

I have worked on the cockpit using all the accesible photos of the early Spitfires to make the most realistic representation of this Spitfire. Look what I have done:

P1550901 P1550900 P1550899 P1550902 P1550904 P1550903 P1550905 P1550908 P1550910 P1550914 P1550915 P1550916 P1550906

Thanks for watching and good luck with your builds!

Cheers,

Andrew S.

Edited by Andrew.S
photo delete
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Andrew, your cockpit looks fantastic. I like the little additions and how you have enhanced the details. As a matter of fact, I have just started the same kit and I had the intention to publish few photos of my build here, on this forum. I hope you do not mind. At the moment I am pondering about which green should I use for the interior and making some trials with Humbrol paints. Yours look quite good. Again, brilliant build,

regards,

Daniele

PS - I also had in mind a finish with black and white lower surfaces, namely the one included in the kit. Great minds think alike 🙂.

Edited by Dstream
  • Like 1

Hi Daniele! Thanks a lot! I wish you the same joy from the cockpit as I have experienced. I definitely do not mind if you post here any of your photos, I will be happy about that :)
My interior colour is my own mix of Tamiya colours (mainly German Field Grey with white, grey, another green but in minor concentrations) from my RAF museums experience.

I am quite dissapointed with my photos, because the wrong white balance made my interior green more greyish but in reality it's quite different.

Now the wings are glued together same as the fuselage halves with the tip of the nose.

Edited by Andrew.S
grammar
  • Like 1

Lovely work on the cockpit so far.

A couple of points if I may. There should be a landing light control on the left side of the panel below the main instruments and between the compass and the hole with the wires running through. On the right cockpit wall, the black box with white circle is part of the IFF equipment which would have not been fitted if you’re depicting the aircraft at the time of the photo. What would have been there was a ‘ speed and altitude computer ‘ a circular hand held device which was clipped onto the sidewall.

Looking forward to more.

John

• Thanks 1

Hi John and thanks for your reply! Now I know... I was not sure with the IFF box but I put it there, wrong decision... :( But I will learn from that and next Spitfires Mk.I from Eduard will be correct. (I always do some stupid mistake...) But I really apriciate your comment, thanks again!
I made mixed cockpit from the early and later mark ones and overdone it. :D

1 hour ago, Dstream said:

At the moment I am pondering about which green should I use for the interior and making some trials with Humbrol paints.

Humbrol 78 is cockpit grey-green, but some early Spitfires had a lighter apple green version  of this colour.  

OK, unsurprisingly this has been discussed on here before!

try this

which may just confuse....?   

• Like 2

The disputable instrument on the starboard side is the Pipsqueak remote contactor which is not quite the same as the later IFF equipment.  From the date of your Spitfire, I think it could have been fitted or it may not have been!  Equally it could have had the computer 'holster'.  The contactor (if fitted) would have a red quarter segment (at least all the photos show that).  The cabling looks very good.

Edited by Olmec Head
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Beautiful work so far Andrew :goodjob: Delighted to see you've picked a 602 Sqn. machine as that was my grandfather's squadron :thumbsup:

Thanks, that's interesting and nice to hear that! :) 

7 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

The disputable instrument on the starboard side is the Pipsqueak remote contactor which is not quite the same as the later IFF equipment.  From the date of your Spitfire, I think it could have been fitted or it may not have been!  Equally it could have had the computer 'holster'.  The contactor (if fitted) would have a red quarter segment (at least all the photos show that).  The cabling looks very good.

Ok, thanks for explaining!

7 hours ago, Dstream said:

At the moment I am pondering about which green should I use for the interior and making some trials with Humbrol paints. 

I use Tamiya paints but a 50/50 mix of their XF-71 Cockpit Green with XF-21 Sky seems to give a nicer brighter colour that seems to match the descriptions of early Supermarine interiors - to me anyway.  Straight XF-71 is what I use for later Spitfires.   

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dstream said:

PS - I also had in mind a finish with black and white lower surfaces, namely the one included in the kit. Great minds think alike 🙂.

I am also about to build this Tamiya Spitfire and have bought the Fundekals Spitfire decals, I just thought that I should mention to you and @Andrew.S that Tamiya have shown all of their decal options with the IFF aerials from the fuselage to the horizontal tailplanes. (known as cheese cutter aerials)  These aerials were not fitted before September 1940, so any aircraft from the Battle of Britain or before would not have them.  Great work on your Spitfire @Andrew.S It's looking very good. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

But I will learn from that and next Spitfires Mk.I from Eduard will be correct. (I always do some stupid mistake...) 

Funnily enough, I was due to start my Tamiya Spit, then I read about the Eduard MkI. I will build mine side by side when Eduard release theirs. 

Great work on the cockpit. I`m looking forward to this build.

PS. I have just finished a 20+ years old 1/48 Tamiya MkVb tropical, and that is still a lovely build.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2020 at 21:30, Andrew.S said:

Good luck with your Spitfire, the build is relaxing what I should say.

I like the instrument panel on your Spitfire, is it the kit one?  I have the Yahu one for my build.  For anyone building an early Spitfire, here is a colour photo of one from before the outbreak of WW2, note the hard edge of the camouflage and that the silver paint behind the cockpit starts on the rear of the seat frame/bulkhead.

Spitfire Mk.I

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Interesting proportions to the roundel as well.

That was as a result of painting over the white and Yellow of the A1 type roundel during the pre-war tone down.  The Spitfire is from 41 Sqn, at the time they were at RAF Catterick, North Yorkshire.

• 1 month later...

(pre-Quarantine update)
As the camera session was held today, I made a few photos of a 2-week-old progress on the LO-O. 

I made the rivets using a Rosie the Riveter device directly into the plastic (I played with the idea to do it in to the layer of surfacer primer too), then put the fuselage and wings together and the last bit was making the exhaust light flashers (help me with the name please) from the spare box, as seen in the coloured photo above. And that's all for now, as you will see why in the new threads by me... :)
Thanks for watching.

Cheers,

Andrew

P1560003 P1560002 P1560006 P1560005 P1560004

• Like 9

• 3 years later...

Hello fellow modellers,

after a very long pause, I would like to bring back my builds to Britmodeller forum. But first I have to finish kits that are still in progress from a long time ago, so I've chosen to start with this perfect kit of a Spitfire from Tamiya. Now, I'm preparing for painting the upper surfaces with AK Real Colors. The black and white undersides were airbrushed with AK Real Colors Blue Black and White Finishing Surfacer 1500.

The last photo shows the small parts that are almost finished. I have to learn how to edit the posts again, but I hope I'll catch on soon.
Thanks for watching!

P1580070 P1580071 P1580072 P1580073

Cheers, 

Andrew

• Like 7

Your  “ exhaust light flashers “ might be the exhaust glare shields which were fitted to the cowlings for night flying to stop any  flames from the exhaust causing the pilot to lose his night vision.

Good to see this back again.

John

• Thanks 1