Python-engined Lincoln RF403

zebra

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Rob

this is how I built my Vulture engine  . . .

"Yes less proficient modellers are silly enough to waste their time trying to build Vultures out of Tube, Rod, Plasticard, and Filler!" 

Manchester-034.jpg

Manchester-038.jpg

Manchester-040.jpg

Manchester-047.jpg

Very nice and like Dave yes please!  

(I was having a go at myself though in case you haven’t seen pages 5 and 6 of my Python Lincoln build!). 

• Like 1

I look in all the builds as I love the Lancaster, so much so that I have decide, years ago, that I would concentrate my time and efforts on Bomber Command topics . . . .

Here is the Manchester aircraft  . . . 

]Avro-M-005.jpg

Avro-M-008.jpg

Avro-M-014.jpg

The normal topic will resume after the break .. .

• Like 11

On 11/04/2020 at 08:54, CliffB said:

Lancaster STGB - the Group Build that just keeps on giving! :popcorn:

Can help but agree, and can´t find any better words either! Excellent craftsmanship, MA! Those Manchester pics are unbelievable too, great photography of great models 👍. V-P 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit of a rethink. Firstly on the Pythons: I had designed a basic engine shape, to fit the forward engine components from the Trumpeter Wyvern (I've got a couple of Wyverns that will donate the parts in question). The CAD to fair it into the wing was proving too tricky and time-consuming. So I decided to print what I had and I'll fair it into the wing with plastic card. Here's the engine with the Trumpeter Wyvern component test-fitted:

Python engine

Secondly I changed my mind about fitting the engines to the wings before attaching the wings. It's going to be easier to align the engines if the wings are attached first. So I've got the wings on - they were a reasonably good fit, I used some scrap sprue to create a small spar to reinforce the join and attached the wings with superglue. The join feels pretty solid. Unfortunately some dust got in, and there's a bit of dust inside the canopy now. Not a lot I can do about that now.

Lincoln WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I tend to leave the canopy off for as long as I can for this reason. Could you get it off again or get a keyboard compressed air aerosol straw in there somewhere to blow the dust off?

Might be able to get the canopy off. I'll give it a go anyway.

How are you finding the Blackbird conversion - it looks more detailed than my ancient RB/Flightpath one. Do the conversion parts have panel lines/rivets as mine don't and is your tail turret injection of vacform - does it include a canopy as well?

I would be interested to know in case I am ever mad enough to do another one.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Looking the part Julian and I’m sure you’ll sort out that internal dust in good time. Good modellers like yourself will always find a way to recover, which is an important skill to have to succeed in this hobby.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PeterB said:

How are you finding the Blackbird conversion - it looks more detailed than my ancient RB/Flightpath one. Do the conversion parts have panel lines/rivets as mine don't and is your tail turret injection of vacform - does it include a canopy as well?

I would be interested to know in case I am ever mad enough to do another one.

Cheers

Pete

Short answer is I like it! Everything is resin, including the clear parts. You don’t get a new canopy (there’s a new astrodome though) but the other clear parts are there (I think this includes the tail turret, but as I’m not using it and don’t have it in front of me I’m not 100% sure). The resin all fits pretty well, even the wings which I worried were going to be too heavy, but weren’t. Panel lines are there but finer than the kit’s, but no rivets. One thing to watch is that you use the right base kit - it’s intended for the Airfix B.II, I suspect you’d have a problem with the inner nacelles if you used the B.I/III.

I’d build another if it wasn’t so big!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking the part Julian and I’m sure you’ll sort out that internal dust in good time. Good modellers like yourself will always find a way to recover, which is an important skill to have to succeed in this hobby.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave. Weirdly the dust seems to have sorted itself out, there seems to be much less stuck to the canopy this morning!

• Like 1

Good to hear Julian. I find that when I look back at my work in daylight and with the naked eye (rather than a lighted optivisor) those little pesky dust specks seem to disappear too.. might be the reason why I keep putting off that eye test!! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

To quote Blackadder, turns out I was at home to Mr Cockup. Having cut the kit nacelle ahead of the wing and also attached the inserts that go above it, I then found the engines didn't fit it at all well. A bit of googling for other builds showed why - I'd misread the instructions and cut it in the wrong place, and there's a resin insert that I should have used. So today's job was to remove the unwanted plastic, clean it up, and add the resin inserts. Which turned out not to be too difficult, fortunately. I've also added the engine fronts and will share a photo tomorrow when I've cleaned up the joins. Next step after that will be to fit the Pythons.

cheers

Julian

• Like 1

Back on track! Engines are on. Merlins went on more or less fine - slight fettling needed and a little sanding needed to get a good fit - but the Pythons sat a little too low so I removed a bit of plastic from them and think I've got them sitting about right. The PLA I'm using for 3D printing (the one that came with the printer, I would have chosen a different colour!) seems to be very hard - it can be sanded but takes ages - so I had to use the Dremel to grind away enough plastic. Next job will be fairing in the Pythons.

Lincoln WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 9

That’s looking just amazing Julian and who doesn’t get though a build without having a session or two of ‘recovery’? Good thing is that you’ve tackled it and won, well done! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Slight setback today - my milliput has completely dried up so fairing in the Pythons will have to wait until I can get some more. I've ordered some, hopefully it will get here quickly. Until then there's not a lot more I can do on the Lincoln. Fingers crossed I'll be back on this soon.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, woody37 said:

We’re all sat on the edge of our seats here and you let your miliput dry out! That’s not cricket young sir 😂

it coming along well can’t wait to see those pythons faired in :)

The milliput has been shipped and is with the courier, fingers crossed I should be fairing in the pythons by the weekend

• Like 2