Python-engined Lincoln RF403

zebra

My second build (time permitting, but I really do want to get it done) will be Lincoln RF403, which had Armstrong Siddeley Python turboprops in place of the outer two Merlins. This will be a combination of the Airfix Lancaster B.II, Blackbird Models Lincoln conversion, and 3D printed parts for the Pythons. I'm in two minds as to whether to try casting props from a Wyvern kit (I have one in the stash) or 3D printing the props - I think 3D printed props might be a bit rough using my printer, but then it would be a good learning exercise in both CAD and 3D printing, so I'm tentatively going that way.

The Python Lincoln was an interesting aircraft - this one wasn't a Python testbed. There were a handful of Lincolns with Pythons installed. The first was a testbed (I think), but later ones (including RF403) were converted for use in high altitude tests of the Blue Danube atomic bomb casing at Woomera, as the Pythons enabled them to get up to 34,000 feet for the trials. Here's a photo of RF403 (presumably at Woomera):

Lincoln_RF403.jpg

In this photo RF403 is painted white all over but there are other photos of this aircraft in the standard black/medium sea grey scheme and in natural metal. I've not decided which scheme I'll be doing (plenty of time before I have to make my mind up on that) but I'm leaning towards natural metal - it'll probably depend on how good a job I do of the conversion (ie whether I think it'll look good enough with a metallic finish).

I'll post some photos of the kit and Lincoln conversion parts over the next few days. I've started on the CAD for the Pythons but have a fair bit of work to do before I'm ready to print them.

cheers

Julian

• Like 15

Made a start this evening. First job was to cut the fuselage up - taking out a section from behind the wing (a resin plug will go here) and removing the nose ahead of the cockpit. I've also filled all the windows that need it. So here's the first photo, together with the resin conversion parts:

Lincoln conversion

The resin bits look very nice - looking forward to this! Also need to crack on with designing the Python nacelles - I've done the basic shape but now need to design the fairing to attach it to the wing.

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Also need to crack on with designing the Python nacelles - I've done the basic shape but now need to design the fairing to attach it to the wing.

cheers

Julian

Interested to see what you design as I was going to make my Pythons separate from the “nacelle” and make different “nacelles” for the Lancaster and Lincoln modified from the respective kit nacelles. 

Page 5 of my Thread has a photo from the PSL / Airfix book on the Lancaster of the Gerald Scarborough Drawings of the Pythons on the Lancaster but I couldn’t find any equivalent drawings for the Lincoln. 

• Like 1

Hi Julian,

Your cutting looks a lot straighter than mine! It looks like your fuselage plug is hollow whilst mine is solid and weighs a bit - I am debating whether to strengthen the joint somehow, or just epoxy it in and hope!

Pete

• Thanks 1

Not had a lot of modelling time this week, but did line everything up to test the fit. All goes together pretty well although the tail section lost its shape a little:

Lincoln WIP

Since I took this photo I've assembled the fuselage plug and attached it to the tail section - a bit of sprue as a spreader sorted out the fit. I'm going to build the fuselage in two sections - I think it'll be easier to handle that way - so will create the fairing in place of the tail turret before I bring the two sections together. I've also primed the interior at the front end ready to get it painted.

cheers

Julian

• Like 7

Hi Julian,

Your conversion set looks a bit better than my Flightpath one but then I suppose it should be given the cost. As a matter of interest are the resin wings and fuselage moulded with panel lines/rivets - mine aren't. One other thing - is there still the double landing light under the wing like in the Lanc - I can't work out whether to fit it or not on mine as that part of the Port Lanc wing is still in use, but you should have that as part of your longer "extensions".

Cheers

Pete

Later,

Forget about the landing light - just found a plan showing a larger single one.

Edited by PeterB

The fuselage size difference between Lanc' and Linc' is quite surprising. Man, I wish we could get a good straight OOB Lincoln sometime soon. Looking great Julian, you're making me want one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The fuselage size difference between Lanc' and Linc' is quite surprising. Man, I wish we could get a good straight OOB Lincoln sometime soon. Looking great Julian, you're making me want one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

According to my old Putnam's Aircraft of the RAF the Lanc was 69' 6" long, the York 78' 6", the Lincoln 78' 3.5", the Shackleton MR2 87' 3" and the longer MR3 92' 6", though as I said in my Frog MR3 build that may well include the guns, which were pretty long on the Shack. My Lincoln fuselage without guns is around 13" long which scales out to 78' so if I have done my sums correctly it should be around 1.4" longer than the Lanc.  Julian's Lanc is missing the rear turret and is further back so perspective comes into play I guess - the difference is probably not as big as it looks! By comparison the B-29 was 99' long.

Pete

• Like 2

I was actually surprised at the size of it when I first put the wings on the stretched fuselage of the Frog/Novo/Modelcraft one I started even with a Shackleton fuselage to compare it to. 

And not to forget if you do an Aussie long nose one that’s another six feet six inches or whatever it was added on to the length. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Back to RF403. It's been a while since the last update - I was concentrating on the Hunter in the In The Navy GB and the Lancaster in this GB - but was doing a bit of work on the rear fuselage from time to time, in particular on reshaping the tail as RF403 didn't have a rear turret. Now that the Lancaster is nearing the end I'll be spending more time on the Lincoln and have got the fuselage assembled:

Lincoln WIP

Some filler needed, which was inevitable, but the resin bits fit pretty well.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 11

Have you got the angle right on the rear end? It was canted up by 1.5 degrees I believe compared to the lancaster to reduce the  AoA of the tailplane. The upper profile looks much straighter as a result. Might just be the photo that’s giving an illusion of angling down too much. You’re steaming ahead with these :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Have you got the angle right on the rear end? It was canted up by 1.5 degrees I believe compared to the lancaster to reduce the  AoA of the tailplane. The upper profile looks much straighter as a result. Might just be the photo that’s giving an illusion of angling down too much. You’re steaming ahead with these :)

Thanks - I think it's just the photo, I think I've got the angle right. A bit late now if I haven't!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Thanks - I think it's just the photo, I think I've got the angle right. A bit late now if I haven't!

Lol, I didn’t first time round on mine so had to chop and redo it!

• Like 1

Hi,

The plans I am working to show the rear section still angled down, but probably not as much as on the Lanc. On mine this has resulted in the horizontal tail being at a very slight angle to the airflow, but the plans do not show what angle it should be at as the endplates get in the way. The new resin endplates have enough "slack" in them to be glued vertical so I should be OK.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pressing on with the Lincoln. I thought it would be best to get the fuselage completely done before attaching the resin wings so closed up the cockpit and nose glazing. One minor issue was that the carpet monster got the resin astrodome so I'm going to have to use the Lancaster astrodome from the kit. If that's the worst thing wrong with it in the end I'll be pretty happy! I've cut the wings up ready for the resin replacements and got the centre section attached. I'll get the bomb bay closed up before I move on to the wings as well. Really going to have to finish the CAD for the pythons soon.

Lincoln WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I am once again looking forward to the 3D printed parts, its obviously the way forward for proficient modellers  . . . .

Yes less proficient modellers are silly enough to waste their time trying to build Pythons out of Tube, Rod, Plasticard, and Filler!  

Ask me how I know!  

Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink. Say no More!  Say no More!  

Please, please, please make the Python separate from the nacelle so that what you produce (and hopefully sell to others) can be used with Lincolns or Lancasters. 

• Like 2