Boeing X-20 Dyna Soar

This is the all resin Anigrand kit. It's the first all resin kit I've ever done and am quite pleased with how it all went together. It's a fairly simple kit with not that many parts. But, then again, the X-20 was a fairly simple vehicle. Looking at it now, I'm not altogether sure whether it would have actually worked. We've learned an awful lot more about aero/thermo-dynamics in the intervening 60 plus years since the X-20 project was first conceived.

It's quite pleasing to actually finish a model in a relatively short time (for me) -

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

Great work on this interesting little venture of aerospace engineering. I also agree - im not quite sure how well this would have worked in practicality, certainly one telling thing for me is how no small winged craft have been launched 'nose first' sans fairings on any form of rockets in the 60 years since this was developed, makes me think there is probably a reason for that. 

I cant remember, but was the X-20 a "Hot body" design? where heat was transferred to internal structure to dissipate? I know it used all sorts of exotic alloys to deal with absurd temperatures, would have been interesting to see how it fared vs the 'ablative' tps methods used these days.  Theres a scene in First Man where the X-15 is starting to heat up, and that seems daunting.......coming down from orbit using a similar structure/cooling arrangment would have certainly required a lot of....... cohones

Orbital Heating of the X-15   - Clip from First Man Movie

Was there much in the way of cockpit detail on this kit? its quite dark and the small windows dont seem to give much away! 

• Like 1

A basic seat, cockpit tub, blank instrument panel and stick was provided. All absolutely and completely invisible once inserted - so I didn't waste any time detailing the interior.

The problem with setting a winged vehicle on a rocket in an exposed position is that the aerodynamic action of airflow over the wings wants to pull the vertical ascent trajectory off the nominal path. Therefore, the thrust angle of the rocket motors has to be offset to compensate. This was an issue with the Space Shuttle. The current X-37 and the upcoming Dream Chaser all sit inside a fairing during launch - which eliminates this problem.