Ray's Lancastrian ( yes another one)

I will be joining Tim by building a Lancastrian operated by QANTAS.

I am using an original tool Airfix kit which will require a bit more work than Tim's. I am also using a Jen's Bits conversion and decals from Hawkeye Models Australia.

Pictures of the kit and conversion to follow.

• Like 8

Atta boy Ray, you are sure building some subjects that have caught my eye of late. I have the same decal sheet (along with Tim’s Lancastrian conversion parts) so I now get to see how some of my stashed AM bits stack up before I ever get to them. Your a very busy modeller, but I suppose what else do you do whilst living in the nations Capital? 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Here is the kit and bits

A very old US Airfix release

49578167808_070f10e7c1_b.jpg

With lovely coloured plastic, it has the mid upper turret fairing moulded in so I will have to cut it out and blank it off.

49578899357_27a7ff659e_b.jpg

The Jen's Bits conversion parts, that is a 1cm square grid behind the parts on the mat @Dave Fleming , I used to have the M&E set and got rid of it when I got this set. I think the nose part is longer on this set which was an issue with the M&E set.

The Jen's Bits set is designed for the recent Revell release of the Lanc

49578167723_b874f8592b_b.jpg

And the Lincoln vertical stabs are from Alley Cat, not Jen's Bits as previously mentioned, also designed for the Revell Lanc.

49578899387_3cebdebf6d_b.jpg

Plenty to do in the Nation's Capital @Rabbit Leader, fighting off bush fires, hail storms and flash floods of late :D 

I am just in a modelling groove at the moment, some other builds are falling behind but when I get back to them their threads will updated. Anyway I was supposed to be heading to Singapore next week but the Corona Virus has put the trip back to November when things hopefully would have settled down.

• Like 9

You know I'm only kidding Ray. It's certainly been a tough time down there and fingers crossed it'll remain relatively calm for a good while longer. 

Nice Lancastian bits as well. Those nose and tail parts do look a lot longer than the old M & E bits, so I'm sure it'll look the part. 

Cheers.. Dave 

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You know I'm only kidding Ray. It's certainly been a tough time down there and fingers crossed it'll remain relatively calm for a good while longer. 

Nice Lancastian bits as well. Those nose and tail parts do look a lot longer than the old M & E bits, so I'm sure it'll look the part. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I know you were Dave ;)

We have so much greenery now I can't believe it. The DC-10 Air Tanker has been on the ground for the last couple of weeks. Some fires are still active but contained.

I hope I can get the parts to fit the Airfix kit. I think I will be sanding down all those rivets and may do some scribing as well once I get into it. Got to get back to the LB-30 first and get it assembled before starting the major work on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see someone having a go with the original Airfix kit Ray, my brother made one in the early eighties and fitted the interior with what was probably equivalent to scale flood lights, but I was very impressed at the time!

Look forward to seeing you progress. Squadron do a set of very nice canopies for the later (80s) Airfix tooling, you might be able to get them to fit?

Colin 

• Like 1

Thanks Colin,

I am not worried about the clear parts. It will be minimalist build for a club display in November (that is if the Covid 19 stuff is on the down hill run by then).

I hope to be starting this soon, once the LB-30 I am working on is closer to completion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Regarding the aforementioned pandemic. If we have to self isolate, just think how much modelling we'll get done 🙂

And don’t forget to get the T-Shirt

“I survived Covid19 by Self Isolating for a Fortnight and building Scale Models to my Heart’s content!”  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Regarding the aforementioned pandemic. If we have to self isolate, just think how much modelling we'll get done 🙂

There’s half a chance I can get into double figure output this year 😂

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A classic model kit with a resin conversion set! Neither of which I´d dare to touch (anymore) even with the official Social Distance Stick, but I watch with amazement and admiration every time you fellow modelers apply your magic to them. :popcorn:. V-P

I am yet to start this one V-P

I have just finished of 4 quick builds over Easter and Must finish another couple that are very close to completion. I cannot bring myself to start another kit at this stage.

with 6 weeks to go, I am pretty sure this one will get over the line by the end of the GB.

Stand by to stand by!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

And we are off!

Firstly the chops

49844247277_a84353b8f3_b.jpg

and then the window openings were backed with card of later filling

49843399858_05f9cb5550_b.jpg

next the mid upper turret fairing was removed

49844247237_42efea4e4c_b.jpg

Look at those rivets! A nice fictitious layout similar to the early mould C-47 I built 3 years ago, they will all go and I may scribe in some panel detail

49843399828_0d63c4eaaf_b.jpg

A parts fit test, the resin nose and tail plugs are designed for the newer Revell kit so the thickness of the plastic around nose and tail had to be thinned down

49843941936_c2e7056487_b.jpg

And turret opening filled with card

49843399713_39f6e61730_b.jpg

The basic cockpit was assembled and I added a second cockpit seat, I also did some minor reshaping on the existing seat as it had a semi-circular head rest

49843941886_b85295145a_b.jpg

I will now wait for the glue in the turret patch to set before cleaning it up and shaping.

49843941851_6faced045c_b.jpg

• Like 9

Great start Ray. My first reaction was to think you’ve left it a bit late but it looks like you’ll be done in no time! Really looking forward to seeing  a Qantas Lancastrian in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, come on Julian I have almost a whole month to get this one finished. Not much to this one really, make a long aluminium tube, stick some wings to it and that's about it. I will need to remove the blobs that are flame dampeners from the engine cowls and replace with some spare exhaust pipes from a Hasegawa Lancaster

49848424842_859740f5be_b.jpg

The fuselage is together and putty on, hitting this one with a putty hammer as I am not keeping any surface detail. Since the replacement nose and tail bits are designed for the Revell kit their cross section is noticeably different especially at the tops of each piece, so a bit more putty required in those areas to fare them in acceptably.

49848119991_1759662fe8_b.jpg

Time to let the putty set I have started to sand the rivets off the tail surfaces as well.

• Like 7

Not quite Julian, some shape work to do on the nose, it was pointed out to me the nose on this conversion set was too, well pointed. So out with some putty to bulk up the tip area, in the mean time the wings were sanded to remove rivets

49857972293_94be340830_b.jpg

And the flame dampers removed for the new exhausts

49857972278_b197a3a8b4_b.jpg

Second round of putty removed and ready for another priming session , this shot was before the nose mods were commenced

49857972243_f398cbbc0a_b.jpg

• Like 3