Revell Wildcat F4F-4

CanadaMoe

Hello All,

I would like to join with a Revell Wildcat 1/32.

This is a dedication build for me to a modeller that recently passed away here in Canada.

He was very supportive of me as a young modeller, was there at IPMS meeting, taking us hobby shows in America.

zrbjQma.jpg?3

It's my was of saying "THANK YOU"

Moe

• Like 12

A classic Revell oldie.

I love those kits.

This is also on my list for this GB if I can find one at the two conventions next month.

Just watch out for the folding wings.Best is to build it with straight wings.

Edited by Erwin

21 hours ago, mick b said:

Classic indeed, remember my dad making it for me in FAA colours with working folding wings! 

Mike

I build this several times.

Main problem with those folding wings,is that the hinges can't support the weight.

The wings hang down or they break.

Best is to build it straight.Leaving out the inner wing parts and use plastic card .

Edited by Erwin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh well... Live and learn. Checked my references and found out the interior colour is light grey as well as the under carriage too.

Couldn't repaint the engine compartment.

2xDpq6q.jpg?1

Fuselage is together and off to the paint booth in the next couple of days.

Edited by CanadaMoe
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

DISASTER has struck!!!!

Decals have wrinkled upon drying!!!! I'm so disappointed!! 😭

I'll have to strip the kit down and repaint and start over again. I'll have to order another set of decals. (Leary... about using the same decal company again...)

DEidecp.jpg

JElYkC2.jpg

GKcXcvE.jpg

Can anyone share with me how to strip a kit down to repaint or direct me to a resource on how.

I'd like to know how to deal with the glued windscreen and painted interior. Will the colours get stripped too if I use a liquid stripper, like window cleaner?

(All colours are acrylic, except interior colour is enamel.)

Edited by CanadaMoe

Before doing that. pierce the transfer in several place with a needle or similar,, and use the Microsol/Microset system to soak the transfer.  It will seep into the holes, spread around underneath, and pull the softened transfer down onto the model.

Various options, including specific model-based products or more generic ones - no idea what's available in Canada.    But no transfer is going to fit well over those 'orrible rivets, without using some kind of softener, so you are heading for the same problems again.  Obviously it would be easier using these Micro products when applying the transfers.

If that's the case with the rivets, I'll have to create mask for all the markings and make a decal on the laser printer for Felix the Cat.

Can I use window cleaner with ammonia and a toothbrush with lots of elbow grease?

If you want to do the same scheme, then cellotape applied to the decal & stripped off  will do the job though with acrylics, you might get more coming off that you wish. I'm an enamel user & never had an issue with this. As for new decals, try this for a method, it will still suck most decals down over the sort of surface detail you have there.

Steve.