can anyone recommend a good mirage III reference?

Selwyn

Sorry i should have been a bit clearer,

I, am looking for  a general reference that details the differences between the mirage III variants and which users had which type.

I have about four different kits 1/48 and I have decided Its about time I cracked on with them!

Selwyn

Just now, Selwyn said:

Edited by Selwyn

10 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

I, am looking for  a general reference that details the differences between the mirage III variants and which users had which type.

World Air Power Journal volumes 14 through 16 could be helpful then - #14 has an overview of the III variants, #15 the V/5/50 and foreign variations like the Kfir, Pantera and Cheetah, with #16 covering the operators. 

Well worth seeking out.

HTH,

Andre

If you want a cheap introduction to the Mirage III variants and users, this book is not a bad choice:

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1001-1100/rev1098-MirageIIIbook-Hahn/00.shtm

The profiles may or not be useful, but the text describing the variants is quite good. It's only an introduction of course and if you want to dig further into the subject you will find it less useful

On 2/23/2020 at 8:31 PM, Giorgio N said:

If you want a cheap introduction to the Mirage III variants and users, this book is not a bad choice:

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1001-1100/rev1098-MirageIIIbook-Hahn/00.shtm

The profiles may or not be useful, but the text describing the variants is quite good. It's only an introduction of course and if you want to dig further into the subject you will find it less useful

Thanks guys got a couple of books now on order.

Selwyn

Actually all is not that complicated...

Basically there are the older B/C airframes with clamshell nozzles and shorter forward fuselage, always a clean nose.

Then there are the D/E based models with a longer forward fuselage, the plug being behind the cockpit on single seaters, snd petsl nozzles.

Early B/C models were only operated by France, South Africa and Israel in its otiginal form. All have the longer forward fin extension.

The later E version comes in 2 forms, with radar as an E, or without and more pointy nose, then it is called 5 instead.

Some rare exeptions to this rule exist though...

E/D/5 s come with or without fin extension, depending on operator.

That is it basically... everything else is upgrades, mostly of the latter type. Exeption is Israeli C modeks with petal nizzle type later in itd carreer, also sold on to Argentine......

The French book above about the world wide operators has it sll covered to the ultimate detsil...