My 3d 'First Disasterpiece', a Meng F-102

New here, lost interest in a lot of things for a while. Finally decided to sit down and finish something, so here's the shelf-of-doom's F-102. It's the Meng 1/72 scale, I honestly don't remember which wing it's got so feel free to share with the class if you do.

Any criticisms or critiques are welcome, no need to sugar-coat or what have you. As to the big ones - wrong colour and the intake roundels being the wrong size - that was an intentional thing, something about momentum and all that.

Following the advice of @keefr22, managed to properly embed pictures. Much obliged sir. 

F102d

F102c

F102b

F102a

Edited by makeshiftwings
Embedding Images
  • Like 48

Hope you don't mind, but I think it deserves showing off properly as it's a very nice build!

F102a

Flickr uploads are easy - click on the pic in your photostream and when it opens there's an upward, right facing share arrow to the bottom right of it. Click that and it'll give you a box with the URL for the pic - right click that and copy, come back to your thread and put your cursor where you want to insert the pic, right click and paste. The pic will appear with a message asking if you want to display it as a link instead - close the message and your pic will stay in the thread.

HTH

Keith

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Looks ok to me - you can be proud of retrieving it from the shelf of doom and finishing it off nicely. What’s up next?

True, I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out. The fact that it did turn out, though, well I'm a bit excited about that. I've got a Trumpeter F-100D that I started nigh on a decade ago, it's in the polishing, painting, stripping, re-polishing, re-painting, considering the 'wisdom' of Gorshkov, reminding myself that he was a dirty commie and repeating ad infinitum...phase at present. 

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Flickr uploads are easy - click on the pic in your photostream and when it opens there's an upward, right facing share arrow to the bottom right of it. Click that and it'll give you a box with the URL for the pic - right click that and copy, come back to your thread and put your cursor where you want to insert the pic, right click and paste. The pic will appear with a message asking if you want to display it as a link instead - close the message and your pic will stay in the thread.

HTH

Keith

Your information absolutely did help. 

8 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Very nice! It would look perfect beside my Wisconsin ANG Deuce.  And since you mentioned it, your’s is a Case XX wing. 
- Bill

I appreciate it sir, much obliged. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I had to look up a map to understand what you were saying, oops. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I really like the cockpit. My 1/48 cockpits don't look that good!

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now sir that is one heck of a Deuce ! 

Thank you gentlemen!

57 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Don't ne so hard on yourself, that is a really good model 👍

I honestly didn't expect much in the way of positive comments, I suppose I didn't realise that my knowing every little fault doesn't necessarily mean everyone will hate it. 

2 hours ago, makeshiftwings said:

I suppose I didn't realise that my knowing every little fault doesn't necessarily mean everyone will hate it.

Quite!  I think most of us are too aware of all the things we're not quite (or not at all) satisfied with.  But (digging up ancient memory) I don't remember ever saying, "There, it's finished," stepping back for an admiring look, and feeling unhappy.

I particularly noticed the worn "don't slip!" patches next to the cockpit.  As someone else said (more or less), wish my 48th looked that good.

Oh, and welcome back to building!

On 23/02/2020 at 04:49, Alan P said:

Nothing wrong with that, great rehabilitation of a shelf-sitter.

Looks very good for 1/72, I know it's a big aircraft but that's a really nice job.

Agreed, that's the part I am pretty happy about. I think they last "escape" from the aforementioned shelf was an F-51 my son liberated. Appreciated all the same!

On 23/02/2020 at 07:06, Booty003 said:

I think that you are being too harsh on yourself bud, it looks a cracking build.  I love the delta shape of the 102.  Your weathering and paint effects are spot on.

I appreciate the thought, I'm not convinced i didn't overdo it, but, you know, it's the guard. My story, sticking to it and so on.

On 23/02/2020 at 10:05, Vultures1 said:

I like that!  Very nice subtlety and variation in the finish and weathering

Again, much obliged, I probably overdid it, but all the same, thank you.

On 23/02/2020 at 11:05, Tbolt said:

Excellent work 👍

On 26/02/2020 at 09:50, russ c said:

Great looking Dagger, really nice work

Much obliged gentlemen!

On 26/02/2020 at 11:04, Mark Joyce said:

Nothing negative to say about the build.  As others have mentioned, the weathering turned out great.

Cheers,

Mark

Fair enough, thanks much!

On 26/02/2020 at 14:01, Gary Brantley said:

I've been looking this over several times recently and I must say that I could use a few "disasters" like this! :clap2:  Man, she looks great!   I'd be very proud to display that in my cabinet (well, I'd want to upsize it to 1/48 😉).    She's a beaut mate!  😀

Thanks much sir, I did the monogram quarter scale one many moons ago, it's hidden away. I'd of course like to blame the kit, but that would be a bit disingenuous...

Edited by makeshiftwings
Computer sorcery.
  • Like 1