Brewster Buffalo variant dimensions

72modeler

@jimmaas, and also@Antti_K,

So as to not sway the previous topic discussion too far off-course, your comments got me to thinking, as I am working up the courage to come out of retirement and doing a Buffalo herd is a really attractive prospect. Seeing as how you are highly regarded as the go-to guy for all things Buffalo, I would like to run this by you before I start bending and gluing plastic- did I get these observations anywhere near correct? Help me, Obie-Wan! (After consulting my copy of the Ginter F2A book.) I've got multiple boxings of the Hasegawa, Special Hobbyy. Matchbox, and Airfix 1/72 kits, if that helps. (I'm thinking a Finnish B-239, a Marine F2A-3, and an RAF B-339-E)

F2A-1: R-1820-24; oal 26' 5"

F2A-2: R-1820-40; oal 25' 7" (exhausts moved higher up and angled back more than the -1; length of the cowling reduced by 5" forward of the firewall compared to the -1)

F2A-3: R-1820-40; oal 26. 5" (fuselage extended 12" forward of the wingroot; additional 40-gallon fuselage tank added that blocked pilot view  through belly window, so it was deleted.

B-339D/E: R-1820G-105; same dimensions as the -2; four .50cal guns, extra landing light; faired-over tailcone; RAF Mk III gunsight; fixed pneumatic tailwheel; clear vision panel added to the LH forward panel of the canopy; Sutton or U.S. Harness?

Finnish B-239's: same as the F2A-1, as 44 of them  were sold to Finland in December, 1939, when the USN agreed to give  up delivery in order to receive F2A-2's  all naval equipment was removed- arresting and catapult hooks; telescopic gun sight, life raft container behind seat; barrier arresting guards on the landing gear struts; Revi gun sights fitted upon re-assembly and erection in Finland. Did they retain their USN seat harnesses?)

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
deleted incorrect data
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

B-339D/E: R-1820G-105; same dimensions as the -3; four .50cal guns, extra landing light; faired-over tailcone; RAF Mk III gunsight; fixed pneumatic tailwheel; clear vision panel added to the LH forward panel of the canopy; Sutton or U.S. Harness?

Hi Mike,

I think you are confusing the 339E dimensions (which Mark has corrected above) with the

339-23 which essentially was a F2A-3, built to Dutch requirements, but were taken over

by RAAF/USAAF after the NEI forces capitulated  circa March 1942. The shipment was diverted

to Australia

From the ADF Serials site

RAAF 339E-23

RAF 339E's flown by RAF/Commonwealth pilots used the Sutton Harness, as illustrated by

John "Hutch" Hutchinson  488 NZ Squadron Kallang circa 1941

Brewster+seat+SupportI.jpg

Note that when you compare the USN F2A-2 Cockpit with the RAF 339E cockpit, there were similarities,

but there were also major differences too - from my 488 NZ Squadron 339E Buffalo build

FILE0458.JPG

Regards

Alan

I'll be glad to help though due to some issues, it may be a bit sporadic.  One item I forgot in the description of the wing gun round counter- it was on all the variants except the F2A-3,  which means you have to eliminate the little bumps on that version ( I'll have to check on the 339-23). I guess Brewster finally figured out how to wire counters inside the cockpit.

EDIT: the 339-23 (ex Netherlands,  used by RAAF and USAAF) did have the small bumps for the round counters.  So just grind off for the F2A-3. 

Edited by jimmaas
  • Thanks 1

@LDSModeller and @mhaselden,

I think you are both correct! I pulled my Squadron-Signal F2A Buffalo In Action and the Aerodata International US Navy Carrier Fighters of World War II, and they both agree that the export Brewster B-339B/D/E's were all de-navalised F2A-2's, so they would have the same oal  as that version, not the F2A-3. Usually you can take the information in a Ginter book to the bank, but I guess nobody is perfect! I will amend my post to eliminate the incorrect information. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, gentlemen!

Mike

Just to mess things up, the length of the 339B,C,D,E would be more than that of the F2A-2, since they had that pointy tail cone and the -2 didn't.  Also bear in mind that the length for the F2A-3 included the spinner, even though in USN service it was normally removed.

Edited by jimmaas
Evil Autocorrect
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hello Mike,

Finnish Air Force Museum has Brewster Buffalo Erection & Maintenance Manual in their collection. The manual gives the overall length of 26 ft 5 in. Whether it is accurate, I can't say.

You can read the manual online in here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qoNCamzDsVF3S4xAQ0bvPdRze-YXFBiX

The museum also has Detail Specifications booklet giving the overall length as 26 ft 0-0,5 in. This manual is also available online: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qoNCamzDsVF3S4xAQ0bvPdRze-YXFBiX

I got the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit and I just bought decals for a Finnish Buffalo (this sounds strange as we call her Brewster here in Finland). Now I have difficulties to sleep as I want to build an RAF example based at Singapore as well. Well, maybe I just need to buy another one😉

Remember to check the Air Force Museum's digital photo collection also. You can find it in here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OWzvT0aOWH5_TZWatgLlg-yyrlGaQv74

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1