FUJIMI PORSCHE 911R 69 coupe

pockets

20 minutes ago, pockets said:

Had another disaster this time with paint , the humbrol acrlic from a can  reacted and crazed so had to put the body in a plastic bag with isopryl and  after much faffing and sanding have reapplied some primer and top coat which seems ok apart from one drip which ill rub down after it cures
Thinking about masking it to add a red band on the body but worried about paint peeling when removing it , any tips  on masking tape would be appreciated , ive got some tamiya stuff so good quality. Ialso added a band of plasticard to the top of the rear engine cover and some mr surfacer to the sides as it seem to be a little small and had excessive panel  gaps at top and sides  so it now looks better .

Given up with Tamiya paper tape for masking. Paint tends to soften the tape edge & attach to adhesive causing possible mayhem.

Changed to Tamiya Plastic Masking Tape & Car lining tape.

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/product/3m-fine-line-masking-tape-6mm-33m/

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/product/finespray-fine-line-green-tape-6mm-x-55m/

Blue one great going around corners. Green best for straight runs.

On any of these tapes cut a new edge with a sharp Morton blade. Both have good clean release qualities

All these tapes are cut from a long roll & you do not get a nice edge (applies to all tapes) with squashing of the adhesive at the edge.

Bits attach them selves to slightly squashed out adhesive. If you buy get the 6mm you do not need any other. Just cut the edge to the width required.

Cut you won & you get a pristine line. The plastic type I have had very few problems with. Paper tapes so many.

Laurie

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pockets said:

thanks for tip , i was wondering how to remove tape without remving the paint unerneath , weather to wet the tape with water or something else?

I remove the tape as soon as I can less likely to tear away as it is sill a little soft.

I remove as slow as possible pulling the tape back on itself ie not at 90 degrees.

The secret to all of this is the original preparation.  I wet & dry (using water)the plastic with a 1200 guage wet dry paper.

Wash  or use IPA to get shot of dirst sanding material & grease from fingers etc.

This all ensures that the primer gets a great grip.

What primer do you sues ?

Laurie

• Like 1

USED 800 wetndry with  simonez plastic primer then 3000 and 5000  before topcoat acrylic spray , and not to confident  about it's adhesion ,may not risk the inclusion of a red band and just go with either just the white or hand paint some other colour

Edited by pockets

10 minutes ago, pockets said:

USED 800 wetndry with  simonez plastic primer then 3000 and 5000  before topcoat acrylic spray , and not to confident  about it's adhesion ,may not risk the inclusion of a red band and just go with either just the white or hand paint some other colour

Apologies should have read previous stuff in which I have repeated all you said tut.

I used to use Valleho primer which is pretty awful.

Now use Stynylerez which is the best I have found for acrylics. Dries fast. An hour & you can wet & dry.

Wet & dries to a feather edge. Very smooth. Very forgiving. Does not clog detail. Mainly use Tamiy XF range on top

Since I have been using it very rare indeed to strip  paint with any masking.

Disadvantage get to the airbrush & strip after use to clean it is a devil but the results are worth the bother.

Pity about the redband. But do not let me tempt you as if it goes wrong you will hate me 😬

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

That's cool chap , have been  doing some research into the simonez rattle can primer and it does appear to have a tendency to lift , it does go on super smooth though so may be good for certain applications , am now thinking about using pva as a mask somehow its just getting the straight line is the problem , here' a few shots of possible schemes.
49652900761_eec22f8211_z.jpg49652894781_f8b2b0ec6b_z.jpg49652899076_f2a959000a_z.jpg

Edited by pockets

I'll second using Tamiya plastic tape for the edge, although I tend to use the white 2mm stuff. If spraying, I'll then use the paper tape inside that, and cover large areas inside that with baking foil (making sure all gaps round are taped up). For primer, I use Halfords car primer, never had any problems (fingers crossed) to date.

I do wonder whether the crazing is caused by you polishing the colour coat with 5000grit - is it too smooth for the top coat to get a grip? Personally I tend to go with 1000grit for primer and 1500grit for colour coats (not metallics!) before the top coat, although I'm tempted to try 2000 grit next time to see if I get a bit less orange peel in the clear.

• Like 1

Nah   I  used acrylic over enamel , thought the humbrol spray can white gloss i purchased  was enamel, turned out it was acrylic. But thanks for all the tips though chaps, will heed advice.

Edited by pockets

One thing to bear in mind is that Humbrol has both an enamel range and an acrylic range in spray cans, and the two don't mix.... I tend to stick to Tamiya Fine Surface Primer under Tamiya rattle can paint. I have used Stynylrez, but only under Zero Paints basecoats. Basically, IMHO life's too short to need to sand the bodyshell, primer, paint or clearcoat through multiple passes with ever-finer grits, and worse yet having to do it to EVERY layer, so my preferred paint options are ones where I never have to sand the whole car. A new and very useful product from Tamiya is their TS-101 sealer primer, which is intended to go over brightly coloured plastic with a tendency to bleed through paint or clearcoat layers, like the notorious red... It's a very pure white which out of the can gives a nice semi-gloss finish. It's a good base for liveries that use decals over white just as it is, and will take clearcoat straight on top over decals...

best,

M.

[edit: you got there before me on the Humbrol issue...]

• Like 1

The only way to improve your skills is practice. If you fancy applying red stripes to your build then go for it. As long as the paint you are masking on top of has dried properly you shouldn't have a problem. Once your finished painting the stripes remove the tape asap, practice builds confidence once you get it right and have a proven method your set for future builds. Making mistakes is part of the learning curve but avoiding certain colour schemes for fear of failure is definitely not the answer. 

It's just that its gone wrong once already and took a lot to get it back to a topcoat, and from what Iv'e read the simonez primer  can be troublsome with masking tape . But i may still give it a go after letting the  white  properly cure.

I understand where your coming from as ive had similar dilemmas in the past. It's your build at the end of the day and as long as your happy with it that's all that matters. I reckon it will look cool with or without the stripes anyway. Good luck which ever way you choose 👍

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, pockets said:

It's just that its gone wrong once already and took a lot to get it back to a topcoat, and from what Iv'e read the simonez primer  can be troublsome with masking tape . But i may still give it a go after letting the  white  properly cure.

Yeesh!!! I've definitely had this kind of stuff happen before. Better safe than sorry. Looking forward to more.

Made some  progress, decided to go with the red stripes to represent the 67  monza 911r. Masked it up  ready for primer then the red ,looks good with the blue plastic masking tape nearly left it at that.
49697698957_d9514269f4_z.jpg49697397461_b030b5c9c5_z.jpg49697405671_cd4762ab7c_z.jpg49696878578_76ee87befa_z.jpg49696879343_02125da13c_z.jpg49697254298_bda647d99f_z.jpg

• Like 4

It does look rather dashing with the blue stripes!

Looking forward to seeing what the red stripes will end up like. 

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

I've removed  the tape but am now left with masking tape residue all over the white paint wherever i had had the tamiya tape . WTF, thre blue 3m faired a lot better, surely the tamiya tape shouldnt do that, not impressed , how do I  remove it without damaging the paint?

If it really is tape residue, try just washing with warm water and washing up liquid, or if that doesn’t work, some lemon juice on a bit of cotton wool pad...

If it just texturing of the underlying paint, you’ll need to polish it out...

Good luck!

best,

M.