FUJIMI PORSCHE 911R 69 coupe

pockets

I use Tamiya XF & remove the tape almost immediately after finishing spraying.

I use Tamiya & Car lining plastic tape which I have found far better than paper tape.

LAurie

• Like 1

Yea ,  I used the 3m blue tape and some thin plastic tamiya tape around the roof gutters and down the side ot the wing bonnet intersection and filled in with the paper tamiya and thats what has reacted , not good. i'm flatting back with the wet ndry but its textured the underlying paint quit deeply. lucky i put on a few coats ,

I'll have another go tomoz  and whatever happenzul have to suffice, and lay down some heavy mudsplash and road filth to cover up the defects.

Edited by pockets

9 minutes ago, pockets said:

Yea ,  I used the 3m blue tape and some thin plastic tamiya tape around the roof gutters and down the side ot the wing bonnet intersection and filled in with the paper tamiya and thats what has reacted , not good. i'm flatting back with the wet ndry but its textured the underlying paint quit deeply. lucky i put on a few coats ,

I'll have another go tomoz  and whatever happenzul have to suffice, and lay down some heavy mudsplash and road filth to cover up the defects.

Which one has reacted the plastic or paper Pockets. ?

Laurie

The paper tape i used to infill and for the larger areaswhats that about , youd think the glue they use would be non reactive, not happy  , just doing some research now and its happened to others with the tamiya tape ,

1 minute ago, pockets said:

The paper tape i used to infill and for the larger areaswhats that about , youd think the glue they use would be non reactive, not happy  , just doing some research now and its happened to others with the tamiya tape ,

Yes that is why I changed to plastic. The paper tape becomes near saturated with paint which affects the adhesive. That is my theory.

One tip with plastic tape. Cut a new edge with a Morton blade as the adhesive tends to spread on the edge of the tape.

Laurie

Got the white as good as its gunna be,  sourced some decals from ebay, applied the BP and waiting on the Firestones set , Handpainted frames and window seals. , not to happy with the  result but losing interest in it as it's been a pain with the paint going fubar twice , here's a few picks of it as it stands at the mo . apart from being down the front decal as it has become another casualty from a drop of white spirit even though i sealed it with some pledge  , oh well .49725187867_8fdeb4e6e7_z.jpg49725156992_de6c06f47d_z.jpg49725190397_434eef6da3_z.jpg

Edited by pockets
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Iv'e applied the  2nd batch of decals  its sorta completed. Put one of the curved Firestone decals on one of the tyre walls but not sure that they're meant to be applied to rubber , maybe one of you more experienced builders can point me in the right direction re using a normal  waterslide decal on tyres and what to use laquer wise if  it all ? anyways a few shots as it stands.

49777773871_bc1b669766_z.jpg49777812856_658177603d_z.jpg49778502947_512524a6a8_z.jpg49777290943_593e860a18_z.jpg49778155392_f88113ba7e_z.jpg49778168532_2af3f24fd3_z.jpg49778146342_b6cf9f8669_z.jpg49777308693_ffe5f9c109_z.jpg

Edited by pockets
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, pockets said:

It's just that the decal is shiny in certian light , can i use humbrol matt kote on the tyre?

I've never used it, so the only way to know for sure is to try it out on a test piece. 

Ooh wait a minute, now that you mention the stirring I do remember, it's Humbrol Matt Varnish? I did use it once and then never again, it's terribly chalky. I now use Vallejo's matt or satin varnish for this kind of thing, it's gentle stuff, thins with water and easily applied with a brush.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 4:55 AM, pockets said:

It's just that the decal is shiny in certain light , can i use humbrol matt kote on the tyre?

What I do is buff the tire slightly with a soft cloth on the sidewall. Enough to give the tire a semi-gloss appearance so the decal will have something to bite into. After applying and allowing to dry I airbrush some Testors Acrylic Flat coat cut with isopropyl alcohol in VERY thin layers until the decal film is hidden. To help with the whole process I'll dry brush some ground up black pastel over the sidewalls. Hope this helps you out.

Here are mine: 

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2