Tim's Lancastrian - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Forgive the disorganistation, here's the box.

Airfix-BBMF-Lancaster.jpg

Containing spares from every Lancaster I've built,  and a Dambuster kit - without decals or instructions, or the Upkeep.

This kit cost me £3 from IPMS Avon show in 2006,

Airfix-Bits.jpg

and the M&E Lancastrian conversion.

M-E-Bits.jpg

• Like 15

Welcome Tim, I almost suggested Enzo that this should be re-categorized as Lancaster Family Type Group Build 🙂. It's good to learn about all these Lancastrians, Manchesters and Lincolns too, and to see them getting built alongside the more or less common four motor bombers. V-P

• Thanks 1

And whilst we're waiting,  here are my previous Lancaster models in order of building.

Airfix - built 1988.

Airfix-Lancaster-1.jpg

Airfix Dambuster - built 1997.  Lack of top turret is the reason to use the kit for a Lancastrian.

Airfix-Lancaster-DB.jpg

Airfix Grand Slam - built 2001.

Airfix_Lancaster_GS.jpg

Airfix No Enemy Aircraft PO*S - built 2013.

Airfix-Lancaster-POS.jpg

Revell/Paragon Manchester conversion - built 2013.

Revell-Paragon-Manchester-zps93d6c751.jp

Airfix Lancaster B2 radial engines - built 2014.
Airfix-Lancaster-B2-3.jpg

Airfix Johnny Walker Still Going Strong - built 2017 as BBMF aircraft with gloss finish.

Airfix-Lancaster-Johnny-Exhausted.jpg

Airfix Phantom of the Ruhr - built 2017.

Airfix-Lancaster-Phantom-Exhausted.jpg

and this 1958 Airfix kit, donated to Jet Age as a wreck.  Repainted as Mickey the Moocher in 2017.

Airfix-Lancaster-Mickey0.jpg

• Like 11

I’ve got exactly the same conversion pieces Tim, so will check-in to see how you get along with this one. Good subject by the way!

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

oh.. cracking collection by the way, that’s super impressive. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 9:01 AM, zebra said:

If the Jetstream conversion I built years ago is anything to go by the M$E bits will be pretty crude! Good luck with the build

Agreeing that the parts are very crude, and requiring a lot of sanding to match with the kit fuselage.

There was a part to replace the top-turret, but that's why I'm use the Dambuster kit as donor.

101-9861.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Those bits look to have better proportions that some Lancastrian conversions I've seen.

Steve.

I have to agree Steve,  I was anticipating a vastly different profile - requiring a lot of padding out.

I'm quite pleased with this so far.

• Like 2

A lot more smoothing, and I'm finally happy with the fuselage.  Also assembled the wings.

101-9914.jpg

Now for a comparison of parts, Revell at the bottom, and Airfix at top.

Tomorrow's plan is to remove the exhaust cover from one Airfix engine, then cut a slot  and install a backing sheet,

all in order to fit those Revell exhausts, at bottom left of the photo.
101-9915.jpg

• Like 6

So this is my prototype engine modification.

1. Mark the limits for filing.

1-Engine-Masked.jpg

2. File off that exhaust cover.

2-Engine.jpg

3. Mark the limits for sawing grove for exhausts,  Two cuts 2mm apart - down to that black tape.
3.jpg

4.  Swa the trough, install backing (still experimenting with depth of backing) - then fit the exhausts (after painting)
4-Exhausted.jpg

Now to do it all 7 more times.

• Like 5

All 8 engine halfs similarly prepared.

101-9951.jpg

and now wings and tails fitted to the fuselage.  As I removed the cable cutter devices from the wing leading edges,

it occurred to me that without all the military equipment - these would have been quite spritely performers.

101-9952.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I dont think the straight parts of the exhaust stubbs even come out from the nacelle. It usually just the curves  . . . . .

Like this:

CH_006422_1.jpg?_ga=2.235824129.10223773

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.245276805.1022377

49713992286_0270864d67_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad you had not glued the exhausts on in the previous pic as they look upside down to me - could be wrong as I am doped up to the eyeballs at the moment trying to get rid of an abscess in my gums, and have not slept for a while. I guess this version does not have any fuselage windows, unlike the one shown on the illustration with the decs?

Should look good when finished.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Glad you had not glued the exhausts on in the previous pic as they look upside down to me - could be wrong as I am doped up to the eyeballs at the moment trying to get rid of an absc ess in my gums, and have not slept for a while. I guess this version does not have any fuselage windows, unlike the one shown on the illustration with the decs?

Exhausts won't be fitted until after painting.  Reworked to install them deeper -  thanks for that advice MancunianAirman and Dogsbody.

Do you chaps know if the exhausts were handed?  With a Vee configuration I'd imagine they're canted downwards - photos anybody.

Now like this:

101-9977.jpg

101-9978.jpg

• Like 4