*done* I hope I will not end up with a POS...

vppelt68

...but a PO-S. Yes I know as a subject she's a cliché but in my case a cliché with a personal history dating back to my childhood. Some of you Brits may recall this book by Richard Humble:

2020-02-14_07-52-03

It dates back early to mid 1970's and was quickly translated to Finnish and published here in 1975. I can't recall the specific year I got that as a birthday present but it must have been close to that, I know that. Look familiar, eh?

2020-02-14_07-52-42

There she is in the middle of the cover, PO-S. How can I not build her, though in a bit earlier appearance? The good people at Airfix even supply the (all red) decal option in the recent edition of the Lancaster kit.

Edit: I found out I already have an online pic of the kits I intend to build. Here:

IMG-20200204-WA0001

To be continued... V-P

• Like 17

Hi V-P

I used to be given the same series of book by a friend of my parents when i was a nipper (I still have them)

He used to spend his evening with me telling me all about the British WW1 aircraft. I only found out a few years ago he was one of the aircraft fitters in the RFC !

How i wish he was still with us to hear all those stories again.

Good luck with this build, and thank you for bringing back such great memories. 

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

V.P, I’m sure it will end up looking like as a POS, however I’d like to think that stands for ‘Pound Of Sugar’... it’ll just turn out so sweet. For obvious reasons this subject is an RL favourite and I’ll be following along to see how you get on.

... and yes, I’ve got that same book too!

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

... and yes, I’ve got that same book too!

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

You are a man of many talents Dave I had no idea you could read Finnish !

Was that part of your cabin crew training ?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

How come my ‘POT’ has white tails but your ‘POS’ doesnt? Speaking of ‘POS’ theres also ‘POO’ which also has white tails. Something to do with invasion markings? 

Apparently it was a "leader of the pack"- marking for G-H or other navigation aid equipped aircraft. I saw a pic of that POO plane too.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

You are a man of many talents Dave I had no idea you could read Finnish !

Yes indeed Pat, full of talented skills has this Rabbit Leader, and here is something that perhaps V.P might be able to decipher? 

Pat, olet pähkinä.. 

Cheers.. Dave (hoping Google translate actually does work!)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

How come my ‘POT’ has white tails but your ‘POS’ doesnt? Speaking of ‘POS’ theres also ‘POO’ which also has white tails. Something to do with invasion markings? 

Im afraid this big kid really wanted 'POO' to have brown tails ! 😂

Sorry

Pat

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes indeed Pat, full of talented skills has this Rabbit Leader, and here is something that perhaps V.P might be able to decipher? 

Pat, olet pähkinä.. 

Cheers.. Dave (hoping Google translate actually does work!)

Works a treat Dave

I was worried I'd need to be double jointed before i translated it !

No arguments from me 😁

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For information only: Only No 3 Group Lancasters carried the G H equipment and their tail marking were two yellow horizontal stripes across the rudder/fins.

POO & POT were probably formation flight leaders during daylight operations being under taken at this point in the war.

I know Lancasters didnt fly in formation like our American cousins but rather in a gaggle and these tail markings helped crews following the experienced crew at the front of their gaggle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Thanks Ma, I won´t go for any special paint scheme although the PO-S itself is a special one. How often can you find a 30-page history of the exact aircraft you´re about to model, eh?

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/74-A-12-Avro-Lancaster-R5868.pdf

:wow:

😮

7 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

For information only: Only No 3 Group Lancasters carried the G H equipment and their tail marking were two yellow horizontal stripes across the rudder/fins.

POO & POT were probably formation flight leaders during daylight operations being under taken at this point in the war.

I know Lancasters didnt fly in formation like our American cousins but rather in a gaggle and these tail markings helped crews following the experienced crew at the front of their gaggle.

The airfix kit has an aircraft with red tails - just curious what that means now?

4 minutes ago, Dansk said:

😮

The airfix kit has an aircraft with red tails - just curious what that means now?

The red tailed mustangs were flown by Black Airmen, it would be amazing to think of an all Black crew flying a Lancaster in the RAF, but why not.

For once I'm building more than PO-Sting. Starboard fuselage half just got its windows attached and I used the opportunity to dry fit the interior floor piece. It's all a bit flimsy and maybe even twisted yet, but I believe this will end up quite solid when all the joins are cemented. The cockpit needs some touching up, drybrushing and of course the decals.

2020-03-04_11-22-56

Port half is also painted but lacks the windows. I decided to attach the bomb schackles (?) this early as I thought it would fit my fingers better and I like to add parts before they are painted. I'll drybrush some metallic shine to them and do some touching up here and there too. That bomb bay ceiling was a dog to brush paint on. Whew, now it's done! I used Revell #6 tar black, btw and Hu 78 for the interior green. V-P

2020-03-04_11-23-35

• Like 9

Looks great V.P. That Revell kit is certainly more detailed on the inside than my Hasegawa bird, however both have their pros and cons as we’ll soon find out. I too prefer to glue parts prior to painting, they seem to stay ‘more stuck’ that way! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 7:05 PM, Dansk said:

😮

No 5  Group started to introduce rudder/fin marking for varying daylight flight/formation tactics during the latter part of 44/early 45.

Perhaps somebody with better knowledge of No.5 Group can give a fuller explanation . . . . 

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That Revell kit...

I said this kit fuselage appears a bit flimsy, but it didn't come in a flimsy blue box though but in a very solid red one (this is an Airfix kit) 🙂. V-P

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I said this kit fuselage appears a bit flimsy, but it didn't come in a flimsy blue box though but in a very solid red one (this is an Airfix kit) 🙂. V-P

So it is V.P! I’ve got the Airfix Mk.II sort of stashed away, but at arms reach as I need the FN82 turret and bulged bomb doors. I probably should take a better look at it. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2020 at 08:58, MarkSH said:

A good and rapid start VP.

Thanks Mark - and then those two Nordic 109:s came and intercepted my build! Luckily it is just a change of speed, not destination!

Some of you know I have a habit of building my kits my own way, in my own order. Specifically, I like to paint stuff in ahem, interesting order.

2020-03-18_03-58-22

Let's start with upper wing panels and tailplanes; no need for tedious masking, when I paint these first, lower panels black, and only then start assembling them (around the spars, of course). Hu 116 over Hu 29. 

2020-03-18_03-59-20

Also, I will paint over the fuselage windows, but from the outside! I didn't want to let those Eduard masks stay unused, so I masked the windows from the inside, and then painted the window strips with Hu 78! No filling, though 🙂

2020-03-18_04-01-42

The last look at the interior halves, before they will be joined. Looks like the ventral "manhole" cover will the The Dog to get to settle right, as it was necessary to add to one half from the inside before joining them... No Airfix, not that way! V-P

• Like 7

We are all entitled to go about the construction anyway we please V-P, just as long as we end up with the same result. I've often used similar words when teaching a 'newbie' to do my normal day job.. "Look xxxxx we are not robots, I don't care how you go about getting there, just make sure it looks like this in the end". I find it allows them to relax and really understand what they're doing rather than trying to follow a tedious procedure just for the sake of it. I find modelling also allows this flexibility so will never begrudge anyone from going about their kit building however way they please. Looks great V-P and I'm sure you will have a lovely Lanc on your modelling shelf soon enough. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s always something to learn from how different people approach a build, sometimes we get stuck in our own habits then you see something done differently and have an Ah ha moment, great progress :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

...then you see something done differently and have an Ah ha moment, great progress :)

A case in point being your build of the identical kit; watching and learning from it, I earlier tonight took my Lanc to meet mr. Hacksaw and amputated the wing spar ends so I can assemble the fuselage and wings separately from each other. :thanks: Neil! V-P

• Like 3