Mark's B.Mk.III 'Grogs the Shot'

MarkSH

20 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Afternoon all,

Again not too much progress but another milestone out of the way today all the decals applied and as usual with one of my builds, one prominent decal disaster!

49900776093_bf3c00775d_b.jpg

Underside; not many decals here but a couple of breakages with the red line stencilling nonetheless!

49901292356_7d6d4eb02c_b.jpg

The vertical tails aren't glued in place yet, most of the decals settled down well enough, except the black walkway markers on the wing tops., which BTW if you follow the roundel placement aren't long enough and so some placement compromises had to be made, meaning there are some gaps that'll need filling in

That’s looking good Mark.

On full-size Lancasters the walkway markings don’t go as far as the roundels but, for some strange reason, those currently applied to PA474 do go all the way.  Yours don’t look that far out (“close enough for government work”) so hopefully we rivet-counters will leave you in peace over it.

PS: thanks for being my 2,000th post on this site.😁👍

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Afternoon all,

With the decals sealed underneath a brush painted coat of Klear I can get on with my favourite part of any build; the weathering this is where I feel so much character can be added to a model, however I'm trying to be a little more reserved this time as comment from my Last completed post to RFI, the Draken for the Nordic GB felt that I had overdone it a bit. That being said this is a depiction of a hard working, field maintained war weary aircraft all bar the freshly applied yellow of course.

So I have made the first pass over the port wing with a oil paint filter and some weathering powders:

49905430842_075ba03c5b_b.jpg

The oil colours were made to match the camo colours but were also left slightly unmixed so there was some variation in the tones so hopefully the camo colours have lost their 'out of the jar' freshness. The panel lines and walkways have been treated to show a bit of scuff and wear and of course the trademark exhaust stains have been added with weathering powder. I also used some oil paint to tone down the roundel. The underside has also been muted in the same fashion.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

Evening all,

On the home stretch with the oil paints:

49906147726_8c4151e4bc_b.jpg

49906172421_859d492535_b.jpg

49906172541_852da85b1f_b.jpg

49906147671_382eef4929_b.jpg

and the 'decal disaster' could be just another footprint or stain on the walkway  paintwork.

I'll let it dry for a day or so and then give it a matt coat.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

Agree, the weathering looks great and something I really need to practice to get right. I like what you’ve done with this Lanc, it’s all quite effective. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all,

Matt coat applied, I used Winsor & Newton Galleria Acrylic, its not let me down so far and sprays really well straight from the bottle. the clear part masking has now been removed:

49926104343_a66eb8af3f_b.jpg

I've added a little more white 'Lead' staining on top of the wings, but a question to the knowledgeable...how much staining was there on the underside of the wings? Presumably more outboard of the outboard nacelles!? 

49926104488_f63bb8c6a7_b.jpg

...and she's on her legs....fiddly buggers they were too! and the undercarriage doors more so!! I managed one side before concentration evaporated and decided to take a break and post the images of progress.

49926104428_9fd5135786_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

Evening all,

Nearly there with the 'Grogs' the basic model is complete all bar some minor detail painting and one of the wingtip lights, I elected to try some white glue instead of the kit parts, but I'm just waiting for the first one to set properly before doing the other. all of the fiddly bits and bobs are fitted, but they're all quite delicate so I'm going to put the model in the display case until I'm ready to take some better photos on the display base:

49931001508_4dc6b5dd0d_b.jpg

I've added a crew ladder made from plastic rod, and the wire aerials which proved to be a real faff getting into the glasshouse I can tell you!

49931512341_83c25dccb8_b.jpg

49931512566_f041935469_b.jpg

Nearly there!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

Morning all,

'Grogs' be finished and in the gallery.

49951792592_2b32f559ee_b.jpg

49951792517_8995ce3218_b.jpg

49951792447_a9b2942a8a_b.jpg

49951792217_a7580f90b8_b.jpg

49950999758_ac9bcff182_b.jpg

49951793392_3ff67dc7ae_b.jpg

Thanks again to the Hosts et al. A great GB!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

All I can say is that this is a triple WOW. There is a lot of excellent and imaginative work on this group build but for me this one really takes the biscuit. 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I'm very late to this party but this is a masterclass on how to put this kit together I'll be shamelessly nicking things from your build when I do mine (which will be the "Johnnie Walker" scheme). Superb job.

• Thanks 1